Game of Thrones: Season 7

/dev/null

How could he possibly usurp the throne?

IF Tyrion was of Royal Targarian blood would be able to unseat the boy kings. the argument doesn't work well with Robert being king for so long.

just tossing it out there. we are all just speculating to see what sticks to the wall.

That was as an adult after Tyrion was at political odds with Tywin.

I was speaking of protecting infant/child of the woman he loved from suffering the same fate as the Targarian children

bingo

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've read about a different Tywin than me...

Anyway, he told Tyrion very plainly "you are my son" when he made him hand in his stead.

Also, GRRM gave a very measure response when asked by a reader who named Jon Snow...

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

This quote was long used as evidence that Jon was not Ned's son, since GRRM didn't use the word "father" to describe Ned (we now know that this logic was sound). Tyrion, by contrast, was "named by his father"--Tywin.

Also it needs to be said that Tyrion is at the very least half-Lannister. Tywin married his cousin Joanna Lannister- the mother of Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime- and it was known that the Mad King Aerys made passes at Joanna in the past.

Even when Tywin tells Tyrion about the day he was born:

"I wanted to carry you into the sea and let the waves wash you away. Instead I let you live and I brought you up as my son...because you're a Lannister."

I think many of the clues in the books and show point to Tyrion being a Targaryen.

Edited by EersN'Bills

I suppose anything's possible, but that seems a flimsy explanation at best based on what we know of Tywin...I'll also add that trying to have him killed by putting him at the head of a vanguard and later sentencing him to death doesn't exactly smack of protecting him.

IMO, the only way Tyrion survives if he's not Tywin's son is if Tywin didn't know about it.

I think at both of those points he assumed Jaime was safe and would preserve his family name (which meant everything to Tywin).

There are a lot of hints Joanna and Aerys were Tyrion's parents. Aerys was very affectionate for Joanna. Tywin said he could not prove he was his. He says you're no son of mine before Tyrion killed him. Tyrion is fascinated with dragons and the dragons took to him when he entered the cave. In the books Tyrion's hair as pale blonde hair that's almost white (Targaryen's had silver hair). Jaime and Cersei's hair is golden blonde. It would also explain Tywin's animosity towards Tyrion. He's a dwarf making him an embarrassment to the family, his wife was killed during his conception, and he may believe him to be Aerys son (who he and Jaime later killed).

However, what doesn't line up is why Tyrion has the superior intelligence like Tywin had. Also, this is just a theory and not as obvious as R+J=L. I'm still 50/50 on that theory.

Rereading the last book again (3rd time) A Dance With Dragons

around chapter 5 when Tyrion is traveling with Illyrio Mopatis, Tyrions lineage comes up a few times ...

How he dreamed of riding Dragons and how he slew his father

Wouldn't it be ironic if Aerys really was Tyrion's father?

Because then Jaime will have killed Tyrion's father (the Mad King) and Tyrion killed Jaime's father (Tywin).

Because then Jaime will have killed Tyrion's father (the Mad King) and Tyrion killed Jaime's father (Tywin).

Um...no, that would not be ironic at all. It would be coincidental or noteworthy, but not ironic.

Edited by Mark80

Never thought of that. A reunion between Tyrion and Jaime would be interesting.

Also, I forgot to write that another reason Tyrion is possibly a Targaryen is his mother died giving birth to him just like Jon's and Dany's did. That's assuming the three headed dragon theory plays out.

Never thought of that. A reunion between Tyrion and Jaime would be interesting.

Though, their reunions in the show will undoubtedly be different than they will be in the book. In the book they parted as enemies because of Jamie's confession. In the show they parted as brothers because they excised that plot line.

Though, their reunions in the show will undoubtedly be different than they will be in the book. In the book they parted as enemies because of Jamie's confession. In the show they parted as brothers because they excised that plot line.

That's true. Jaime still views Tyrion with disgust in the show but Tyrion still views Jaime favorably.

That was an odd omission by the show as the Tysha reveal by Jaime was the main driving force for Tyrion to kill his father before escaping in the book. Also, Tyrion lied to Jaime that he did kill Joffrey in the book and it wasn't brought up in the show. Maybe they didn't want to overcomplicate things.

That's true. Jaime still views Tyrion with disgust in the show but Tyrion still views Jaime favorably.

That was an odd omission by the show as the Tysha reveal by Jaime was the main driving force for Tyrion to kill his father before escaping in the book. Also, Tyrion lied to Jaime that he did kill Joffrey in the book and it wasn't brought up in the show. Maybe they didn't want to overcomplicate things.

I'm not a big stickler for following the books religiously, but I agree that particular change/omission wasn't my favorite. I think it probably had to do (at least partially) with the onscreen chemistry between the two actors and the producers not wanting to step on that for whatever reason. But who knows.

I'm not a big stickler for following the books religiously, but I agree that particular change/omission wasn't my favorite. I think it probably had to do (at least partially) with the onscreen chemistry between the two actors and the producers not wanting to step on that for whatever reason. But who knows.

I agree and they didn't make it clear on the show that Tyrion was hurt when Tywin made him hand to the king because at the time he believed Jaime was dead and he was his only son left. There have been instances on the show that weren't in the books that were welcome. My favorite was making Arya Tywin's cupbearer in Season 2 as it made Tywin more of a three dimensional character than the books conveyed. They were also great scenes to watch as they matched wits.

I don't know how you guys can remember what is and isn't in the books. I've read them all (only once though) and I have no clue what the differences are! Maybe I was just too busy with thoughts like only 954 pages to go, only 921 pages to go, only 889 pages to go....only 4 books to go....

Edited by Mark80

I don't know how you guys can remember what is and isn't in the books. I've read them all (only once though) and I have no clue what the differences are! Maybe I was just too busy with thoughts like only 954 pages to go, only 921 pages to go, only 889 pages to go....only 4 books to go....

It might be easier to read the books before watching the series to remember the differences because I'd get ticked off when they'd leave a critical moment out. Also, books 4 and 5 are more difficult to remember because the show deviates more from the plot of those books and the number of characters POV's have expanded. So much so he wrote two books (4 and 5) that took place at the same time.

3 times through

I only remembered the chapter because I read it 2 days ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Plus, their reunions will be different in the show than in the book because Martin's never ever ever ever going to finish the damned story.