Chris Cornell of Soundgarden, dead at 52

Just Jack

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video is the best capture of the times we lived in. Where better than a bonfire, in the woods, where we used to drink(and for some do drugs), to pay tribute to a fallen fellow rocker? He dies, and his friends do an album, whose hit song/video is up in the the woods at a bonfire, hiding from the cops/society, which is pretty much where we were/all would've been anyway, had he not died. :lol: What a wake. They also did part of it on a beach, with lots of reeds, which covers where the rest of the country was listening to grunge. The Army taught me that what we were doing was called "concealment". What the Army never understood: just how real, and multi-faceted that term was.

Which leads me to this:

https://thefirsttenwords.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/its-not-what-you-think/

It's a great piece of writing. It's a warning that we, as a generation, are not done with this yet. One of my best friends hung himself in 1991. As per normal, my reaction was to not even bother with pretense, but to merely walk into my parent's house, retrieve a bottle of whiskey, take one of our cars, and proceed to drink it. What I didn't realize? My friends all thought the worst: that I would repeat my buddy's error. No. I just needed an escape.

But: in the midst of my albeit childish reaction, one of my friends had the courage to say something not only counterintuitive, and bold, and damn if he wasn't right: "Screw that guy. Look what he's done to us. Look what he's done to you. We're out half the night searching for you, only to find you in the first place we should have looked, and we're panicking, and all you are doing is wanting to suffer alone, because you don't want to show weakness."

"Who created all of this? (Name), so F him."

Stealing from Apocalypse Now, "And then I realized, like I was shot — like I was shot with a diamond...a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God, the genius of that."

He was right. I thought "F him. What the F am I even doing here?" I spent decades trying to articulate this better...until I ran across this:

Yep. As a Generation X person? I don't care about your reasons. Your why does not, and will never, make up for your how and what. Nihilist? :wacko:That's a giant misrepresentation. We grew up witnesses of behavior, not words. We'd heard all sorts of words from our parents...then we saw their behavior. We grew up listening to Micheal Jackson...then we saw his behavior. We aren't nihilists. No, we are simply a generation whose name, applied by those who aren't part of it, is by definition a variable: X.

We aren't nihilists. What we are is I/O: show me your input, and I'll give you my output, because we've learned, the hard way, not to trust the Baby Boomer ethos, which 95% of the time is predicated on yet another way to F us over. Check Gen X's voting patterns. There aren't as many of us, by design(See: Roe vs. Wade). Yet, we swing elections now. It is here where we have our revenge.

Nothing gets solved by killing ourselves.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I did a search. She's blaming the Ativan.

Yep. Reading more of what's come out since then, it definitely looks that way.

Tough road to travel. Dragging something out like that would only sour the situation further.

Yep. Reading more of what's come out since then, it definitely looks that way.

Tough road to travel. Dragging something out like that would only sour the situation further.

It's impossible to prove. Other than maybe dragging the drug maker's name through the mud a bit, there is absolutely nothing to be gained. If you try to go up against them, you quickly realize exactly how much money they have.

RIP. Although I never listened to his music, I did listen to his videos posted here and on YouTube. I don't see the attraction but who am I to judge what you guys like? Still, I saw the video of him and his daughter singing. I feel for that young lady.