The path to the Super Bowl, the last 10 winners.

I think the Bills route has to follow how the Bengals and Seahawks got good.

They stacked 2-3 good drafts in a row together.

The bones of the Seattle team was 2010-2012. Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Wright, Wilson.

Bengals with Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

I like your optimism OP- we need more of that around here. I think we may indeed win it all, though I think it will be in MCd's 2nd year. Until then, just enjoy the games and the progress we will make this year. Don't mean to get too spiritual, but there are way more important things in life than these games and our team.

2017 - New England Patriots - Made it to the playoffs Bill Bellicheks second year as head coach

2016 - Denver Broncos - won the Super Bowl Gary Kubiak's first year as head coach.

2015 - New England Patriots - Made it to the playoffs Bill Bellicheks second year as head coach

2014 - Seattle Seahawks - made it to the playoffs Pete Carrol's first year as head coach

2013 - Baltimore Ravens - made it to the playoffs John Harbaugh's first year as head coach

2012 - NY Giants - made it to the playoffs Tom Coughlin's second years as head coach

2011 - Green Bay packers - made it to the playoffs second year as head coach

2010 - New Orleans Saints - made it to the playoffs the Sean Peyton's second year as head coach

2009 - Pittsburgh Steelers - made it to the playoffs Mike Tomlin's second year as head coach

2008 - made it to the playoffs Tom Coughlin's second years as head coach

For all of those who are saying we need to wait four or five years to see if McBeane has the right stuff, recent history suggests Super Bowl winners are coached by coaches who get their teams to the playoffs the first or second season they coach the team.

But hey in the 60's and 70's things were different, so there is that.

I think it goes even a step further. Last year I was looking at all coaches in the NFL for the last several years (it was a thread about whether last year was a make or break year for the HC) and it turns out nearly every HC that is even middling successful makes the playoffs early in their career. If they had previous experience as a HC - they typically made the playoffs in year 1 or 2 with the new team and if they were rookie HCs it was typically year 2 or 3. The notable exception was Jason Garrett in Dallas who made the playoffs in his 4th full season.

The only other HC that seemed to last was Fisher in StL/LA and then he was let go, but he was not really successful.

It does not take several years to turn a team around and it does not take stability to turn a team around (both help maintain success though) - it takes talent and a HC that can motivate that talent and puts them in a position to win. I do not know how much talent the Bills have - I suspect it is more than the record indicated the last couple of years, but a bad HC did not put them in position to win.

I like the current pairing and I am hoping they can begin the transformation, but we should know fairly shortly quickly if they are taking the team in the right direction and whether they can capitalize on any early success or will they fall flat.

Edited by Rochesterfan

The Bills can compete for the playoffs IF they don't have injuries at some important positions. Unfortunately, there are currently too many important positions that lack depth. The odds are against them this year.

If you go back far enough, all of these organizations listed had to clean house and change the direction of the franchise. Belichick to NE was dramatic....Coughlin instilling discipline to the Giants...Carroll leaving USC... There was change top to bottom.

All of these teams also were well run, drafted well and had draft picks play key roles in winning games. Von Miller and the D won that superbowl with Peyton just not making mistakes for example.

Also, the QBs who won were not #1 overall picks but more guys who were value picked or looked over coming out. The only exception is Eli Manning and he isn't a dominant player in those wins. Guys like Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger...

We have a solid owner and he appears to have gotten a GM who can be successful in Buffalo with a head coach who knows how to get it done. Tyrod Taylor has a chip on his shoulder after having been overlooked every step of the way. The Bills have draft picks that need to produce like Marcel Dareus, Sammy Watkins, Shaq Lawson, Tredavious White, Reggie Ragland, Cordy Glenn, Darby, Z.Jones and D.Dawkins to be successful.

New GMs and Head Coaches that have success show improvement day to day, game to game and year to year. We have to forget the last 17 seasons and understand where this team is now. It just finished an underachieving 7-9 season and has the talent to be competing for a wild card in the AFC. There is no reason we shouldn't expect to be right there all season long and let these guys build the team to be consistently successful long term.

Mulligan for the first year.

Significant improvement for the second year.

Playoffs for the third year.

Any new regime that can't turn this team around in 3 years has no business being in Buffalo.

I agree!

This Bills team has a lot more talent at this point than any other new Bills regime started with since the playoff drought began in 2000. Barring injury to key players, I think they should win at least as many games as last year (7) in 2017 and win at least 10 games the next year even if they don't make the playoffs. They need to do one of the other next year, and preferably both.

Numerous teams have made the playoffs in the last 17 years with imperfect talent, including Bills' fellow perennial bottom feeders like Cleveland, Detroit, and Miami. Some have had great defenses and little offense to speak of. Some had defenses no better than what the Bills have fielded the last couple of years. Some didn't have NFL starting caliber QBs. Some had cobbled together rosters. All were flawed teams.

Even the awful Bills teams from the 1970s and early 1980s managed to at least make a playoff appearance a couple of times a decade! No more excuses.

Edited by SoTier

I find it uber fascinating that Bill fans seem to be resigned to losing with Sean HC, and talking patience

And yet were furious about playing just .500 with Rex with little patience

The ownership and org have dome a great job creating a narrative of belief lowering expectations, lol

I;m telling everyone, even if you refuse to listen, that 6 wins and or 10 wins, is 6 or 10 wins no matter who's in charge

The rest is just perception, context, and propaganda

IE - If our Bills in 2017 only win 6 games then Sean HC didn't succeed in his rookie campaign

You are what your W-L record indicates regardless of the argument fans and owners will offer up in defense

Food for thought

jc

That's all well and good, until the savior dejour ends up 6-10. Then you fall back to plan B. Bills fans, after nearly two decades of sucking, just like to have plan B ready.

Edited by CodeMonkey

2017 - New England Patriots - Made it to the playoffs Bill Bellicheks second year as head coach

2016 - Denver Broncos - won the Super Bowl Gary Kubiak's first year as head coach.

2015 - New England Patriots - Made it to the playoffs Bill Bellicheks second year as head coach

2014 - Seattle Seahawks - made it to the playoffs Pete Carrol's first year as head coach

2013 - Baltimore Ravens - made it to the playoffs John Harbaugh's first year as head coach

2012 - NY Giants - made it to the playoffs Tom Coughlin's second years as head coach

2011 - Green Bay packers - made it to the playoffs second year as head coach

2010 - New Orleans Saints - made it to the playoffs the Sean Peyton's second year as head coach

2009 - Pittsburgh Steelers - made it to the playoffs Mike Tomlin's second year as head coach

2008 - made it to the playoffs Tom Coughlin's second years as head coach

For all of those who are saying we need to wait four or five years to see if McBeane has the right stuff, recent history suggests Super Bowl winners are coached by coaches who get their teams to the playoffs the first or second season they coach the team.

But hey in the 60's and 70's things were different, so there is that.

Is that you Whaley?