Trump Fires James Comey!

Why pay attention? That's easy: It's fun to laugh at how stupid and deluded Rosie is (in 144 character text form, without actually having to see her or listen to her shrewish voice)!

Democrats won't realize that it's better to sit back and let Trump hang himself. If they had a clue, that idiot Schumer wouldn't have forced McConnell into the 'Reid Option' with the Gorsuch nomination, they would have waited to pick a better battle.

:beer:

They're too busy playing at being some idiotic "resistance", because that's what the morons who make up the vocal part of their base want.

Or because it's what their big moneyed donors want... since this distraction is great for business.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the Comey conversation regarding Flynn happened (and really, is there anyone who doubts Trump said what is claimed?), it's a big problem. Even bigger than firing Comey based in part on his Russia investigation.

The groundwork for obstruction is laid. The Reps would be smart to get a stable Pence regime in office.

From Prof. Ann Althouse:

"I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go.... He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go."

Trump said to Comey, according to a memo by Comey, as reported in the NYT.

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. The memo was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence an ongoing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations....

I'd like to know more about the basis for saying "An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations." I'm guessing that's a reference to the admissibility of the evidence as an exception to the hearsay rule (803(6)). The weight to be given the evidence depends on all of the circumstances. By the way, it's double hearsay, since we're asked not only to believe what Comey wrote but the unnamed individuals who told the NYT about the memo. The NYT has not seen a copy of the memo.

But let's assume the memo exists and says what you read quoted in the post title. How bad is it to say Flynn is a "good guy" and to express "hope" about the outcome? The headline has a pretty aggressive paraphrase of the quote. It reads: "Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation."

The asking is at most only implicit in what is a declarative statement: "I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go." That's just Trump revealing what he hopes for. There's no question at all, let alone any pressure or threat. And "see your way clear" is a delicate phrase. That's not saying do it my way. Go your way. And if your path is clear and it gets you to the outcome I hope for, then I will get what I want, but I'm assuming you will go where you see it clear.

Here's the White House response to the memo:

“While the president has repeatedly expressed his view that General Flynn is a decent man who served and protected our country, the president has never asked Mr. Comey or anyone else to end any investigation, including any investigation involving General Flynn. The president has the utmost respect for our law enforcement agencies, and all investigations. This is not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the president and Mr. Comey."

From Prof. Ann Althouse:

"I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go.... He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go."

Trump said to Comey, according to a memo by Comey, as reported in the NYT.

I'd like to know more about the basis for saying "An F.B.I. agents contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations." I'm guessing that's a reference to the admissibility of the evidence as an exception to the hearsay rule (803(6)). The weight to be given the evidence depends on all of the circumstances. By the way, it's double hearsay, since we're asked not only to believe what Comey wrote but the unnamed individuals who told the NYT about the memo. The NYT has not seen a copy of the memo.

But let's assume the memo exists and says what you read quoted in the post title. How bad is it to say Flynn is a "good guy" and to express "hope" about the outcome? The headline has a pretty aggressive paraphrase of the quote. It reads: "Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation."

The asking is at most only implicit in what is a declarative statement: "I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go." That's just Trump revealing what he hopes for. There's no question at all, let alone any pressure or threat. And "see your way clear" is a delicate phrase. That's not saying do it my way. Go your way. And if your path is clear and it gets you to the outcome I hope for, then I will get what I want, but I'm assuming you will go where you see it clear.

Here's the White House response to the memo:

Yeah, and Bill chatting with Lynch on the tarmac was no big deal right? Holy hypocrisy Batman.

So many controversies to track. Tonight's one is that Trump asked Comey to shut down the Flynn investigation. Your Stepford Wife/like defense of Trump is impressive though. Stand by your man, my brother.

It actually is different, since he wrote a directive authorizing the sharing through proper channels, and didn't just blurt out secrets to Castro like an impulsive jackass.

I like the "wholly appropriate" press conference today. Even in that repetitive defense, there was the admission that Trump made the decision to share the intel on impulse.

Good way to run the country. Got a hemoiddoid itch? Outen sie goes a trade agreement. Just got a good BJ? Presidential pardon.

So many controversies to track. Tonight's one is that Trump asked Comey to shut down the Flynn investigation. Your Stepford Wife/like defense of Trump is impressive though. Stand by your man, my brother.

With the continuous stream of accusations from anonymous sources we've had reported every week since the election, I think it's fair to at least question them as we hear them. Nobody here, except possibly OC, offers much support for Trump. I think it's fair for B-Man to post all this stuff - in fact, I appreciate it. That doesn't mean that I take any of it as gospel, but I do appreciate his posting it and saving me the time of digging for an alternative point of view.

That said, with regard to Flynn - what's the purpose of Comey investigating Flynn's prior association with Russia which occurred before the election, before he had a chance to assume a cabinet position? Unless he committed a crime worthy of investigation, then this just comes off as another "Trump bad" smear campaign from a conglomerate of media outlets which very obviously loathes the man. I don't care who the president is or what party they belong to - activist media and agenda-driven news is every bit as bad, if not worse, than irresponsible government.

Edited by Azalin

So many controversies since Flynn, maybe it's worth revisiting his poor judgment greatest hits. He called the Russian ambassador after Trump was pres-elect and after Obama threatened (weak ass Obama!) sanctions, and Flynn promises better treatment under Trump. Then lies about it to Pence.

A future cabinet member making promises to a foreign country is worthy of question.

Flynn exercised awful judgment at best.

Edited by Benjamin Franklin

I like the "wholly appropriate" press conference today. Even in that repetitive defense, there was the admission that Trump made the decision to share the intel on impulse.

Good way to run the country. Got a hemoiddoid itch? Outen sie goes a trade agreement. Just got a good BJ? Presidential pardon.

Nothing that a whole lot of us didn't expect, either.

And I still maintain that this is an example of why presidential powers should be limited, and not an example of making sure we pick the right idiot for the job.

Nothing that a whole lot of us didn't expect, either.

And I still maintain that this is an example of why presidential powers should be limited, and not an example of making sure we pick the right idiot for the job.

Yeah but this particular idiot would even stretch those rules. If you were to design limited executive powers with Trump in mind, then you have to build in a time and place for romper room.

It's time for adults to step in. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

So many controversies since Flynn, maybe it's worth revisiting his poor judgment greatest hits. He called the Russian ambassador after Trump was pres-elect and after Obama threatened (weak ass Obama!) sanctions, and Flynn promises better treatment under Trump. Then lies about it to Pence.

A future cabinet member making promises to a foreign country is worthy of question.

Flynn exercised awful judgment at best.

No disagreement there. Nobody in public office is above reproach. My beef is with your response to the material B-Man has been posting. We all have our biases here, some more easily identified than others. You have yours, I have mine, and B-Man has his. I appreciate him posting links to a lot of material that I might not have otherwise seen, especially now when there is a constant and unprecedented barrage of unsubstantiated anti-Trump stories based on leaked information from anonymous sources, and an active attempt to pass them off as legitimate news.

Surely nobody would say that an alternative viewpoint is something to be avoided, right?

With the continuous stream of accusations from anonymous sources we've had reported every week since the election, I think it's fair to at least question them as we hear them. Nobody here, except possibly OC, offers much support for Trump. I think it's fair for B-Man to post all this stuff - in fact, I appreciate it. That doesn't mean that I take any of it as gospel, but I do appreciate his posting it and saving me the time of digging for an alternative point of view.

Exactly why it is posted Azalin, thank you for understanding so clearly.

Posters such as gator, baskin and Ben always assume that all posts are to be taken as blind support, but they are there for informational purpose.

It's a given that they do not read alternate articles, my posts simply offer that opprtunity for the board.

That is why I rarely respond to their childish replies, they already have their mind made up so why waste my time.

Thanks again.

No disagreement there. Nobody in public office is above reproach. My beef is with your response to the material B-Man has been posting. We all have our biases here, some more easily identified than others. You have yours, I have mine, and B-Man has his. I appreciate him posting links to a lot of material that I might not have otherwise seen, especially now when there is a constant and unprecedented barrage of unsubstantiated anti-Trump stories based on leaked information from anonymous sources, and an active attempt to pass them off as legitimate news.

Surely nobody would say that an alternative viewpoint is something to be avoided, right?

If it were only the press that was after Trump, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when the man child can't keep his allies from getting hit with shrapnel, eventually all support will fade. A good scorecard to watch is when the Wall Street Journal turns on you. Then you should know it's time to pack your bags.

Shouldn't be too long now.

If it were only the press that was after Trump, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when the man child can't keep his allies from getting hit with shrapnel, eventually all support will fade. A good scorecard to watch is when the Wall Street Journal turns on you. Then you should know it's time to pack your bags.

Shouldn't be too long now.

The Journal is my paper of choice. I believe they turned a long time ago. They just try so hard to be a good objective place that we can't recognize it--the volume of biased anti/ ( mostly) and pro- Trymp reporting leads us to overlook the objective voice.

The biased but fair guys like Russert are hard to find right now.

Yeah but this particular idiot would even stretch those rules. If you were to design limited executive powers with Trump in mind, then you have to build in a time and place for romper room.

It's time for adults to step in. This is getting beyond ridiculous.

If only there were any adults available to step in...

Exactly why it is posted Azalin, thank you for understanding so clearly.

Posters such as gator, baskin and Ben always assume that all posts are to be taken as blind support, but they are there for informational purpose.

It's a given that they do not read alternate articles, my posts simply offer that opprtunity for the board.

That is why I rarely respond to their childish replies, they already have their mind made up so why waste my time.

Thanks again.

When you post only one flavor....from partisan websites.....you are just as bad as those you are pointing your finger at....

Edited by baskin