Future GM option - Eliot Wolf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These aren't complex dots to connect. I know a little bit about how things operate over there and within that organization. All signs point to that being the case. What are you seeing that says otherwise? You keensaying "conjecture" but you are doing the same thing but without evidence to dispute the perception. The guy CLEARLY ran the draft. That means he's already done something most head coaches never do. His power isn't going to be diminished from there. He won't let it happen.

So he clearly ran the draft by himself without the scouting department? How was that possible in 3 months when most scouting staffs put together their draft board in a year. Sure he had a say in it but not possible to run a draft for the first time when you have three months to prepare for it. His time has been spent evaluating his own team. Despite you knowing "how things operate" you haven't given any evidence other than saying you are connecting the dots. You can keep saying that but there is nothing public known that shows McDermott was or will be the main person in charge. Even if he was involved heavily in the draft which my guess is you can't prove there is no way you can tell who will be in charge going forward unless you are Terry Pegula.

Interestingly, if McD gets to decide the roster, the Panthers might be able to deny Beane.

This can't be stated enough. Not only does it do that, it pretty much denies the Bills getting anyone besides a gloried scout. Neither Director of Pro Personel or Head of Amateur Scouting will be able to come as it will be viewed as a lateral move. McD has basically assumed both these roles over the last week.

These aren't complex dots to connect. I know a little bit about how things operate over there and within that organization. All signs point to that being the case. What are you seeing that says otherwise? You keensaying "conjecture" but you are doing the same thing but without evidence to dispute the perception. The guy CLEARLY ran the draft. That means he's already done something most head coaches never do. His power isn't going to be diminished from there. He won't let it happen.

Actually, Pegula said Whaley ran the entire draft. McDermott also stated that Whaley made the first round trade happen.

I'm sure McDermott had a lot more input than most first year head coaches, but the evidence does not support what you're saying.

Actually, Pegula said Whaley ran the entire draft. McDermott also stated that Whaley made the first round trade happen.

I'm sure McDermott had a lot more input than most first year head coaches, but the evidence does not support what you're saying.

Just like Nix ran the draft before Whaley? Deniability is a great thing. :)

Oh, well if he said that it must be true.

He is in charge of it and has been. He made the draft decisions. That isn't going backwards. Someone else will be in title and work with him closely but the situation will be more similar to the Patriots than the Jags. Someone with ties to him will be hired to run the personnel department and McDermott isn't going to bring someone in that takes away from what he already has. They will work together for sure but at the end of the day he will be the most powerful guy in football ops.

You are spot on. What are people expecting a humiliating public declaration that Whaley had no authority to overrule the wrestling coach? When the owner publicly announced that the GM was no longer going to speak on behalf of the organization and the sole voice of the football team was the HC what more evidence was needed to demonstrate the GM's loss of authority? Almost immediately after the draft the GM and his scouting department were fired. And still people are debating whether McDermott was running the show in this past draft!

The owner can have whatever organizational structure he wants. Except for the elite coaches who have all encompassing authority to run the football operation I am very queasy about this new coach having so much authority so soon. No one is arguing against the necessity for the GM and the HC to be in sync. But both positions have different timeline perspectives when making personnel and cap decisions. To put it mildly I'm troubled by this situation.

Documentation isn't needed to understand what happened within the organization and realignment of authority. Just some common sense to understand what just happened with this puzzle that isn't very puzzling.

Oh, well if he said that it must be true.

Give evidence to the contrary.

He's not leaving the Packers to come here, bu I do like him though :thumbsup:

That might be true but it is mixed whether Gutekunst or Wolf is next in line when Thompson does retire.

Give evidence to the contrary.

They fired the GM and the entire scouting staff THE NEXT DAY!!!! Who in the word would allow a guy to pick all of the players in the draft if he wasn't going to be employed THE NEXT DAY?!?! As soon as the "one voice" motto came out of OBD it was McDermott in charge. If you can't see that McDermott is in charge you don't know what you are watching or are in complete denial. We will see how it works out but he is in charge. Who do you think claimed James today? Signed Shareece Wright yesterday? He is the man calling the shots and has been since getting the job. Edited by Kirby Jackson

...interesting....kid has been tabbed as the "heir apparent to Ted Thompson", but Ted is only 64 and may not be ready to move on....maybe Eliot does NOT want to wait 3+ more years as TT is still a GM force......maybe Pegula calls "Pops Ron" and offers to bring him on board as a consultant (a/k/a "czar") in addition to hiring the kid.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I would personally like to see us go after Eliot Wolf for GM. There are some very good options with Veach from KC, Beane from Carolina and DeCosta from Baltimore but I could see Wolf as a superstar GM. First he has a wealth of talent as well as good family lines with his dad Ron, which I am sure could help in running an organization. Eliot comes from a solidly run organization that understands how to draft and develop a good consistent football team. He has also been involved in scouting players since he was 14 and watched scouting videos at the young of 10 with his dad. Who else would you want to learn player scouting from than Ron Wolf? He also doesn't freak out at press conferences...

NO GM is coming here if they cant hire their own guy period ..... Just look for patsys that can work with micky-d before they both get fired

They fired the GM and the entire scouting staff THE NEXT DAY!!!! Who in the word would allow a guy to pick all of the players in the draft if he wasn't going to be employed THE NEXT DAY?!?! As soon as the "on voice" motto came out of OBD it was McDermott in charge. If you can't see that McDermott is in charge you don't know what you are watching or are in complete denial. We will see how it works out but he is in charge. Who do you think claimed James today? Signed Shareece Wright yesterday? He is the man calling the shots and has been since getting the job.

Hence the weak draft giving all of our picks away for plan B players.. It all make sense now ..... Reuben Foster top 10 talent fall to 27th after we make a trade down Nope mcstupid get a CB in a CBtalent heavy draft .....That forced New Orleans and San Fran to trip over themselves to get to Reuben....... wow that is micky-d priceless lets continue Did I say it was a heavy talent CB/WR draft......micky has a 2 two 3's 4 - 5th rounders and a 6......he gives a 3&5 away for a WR who worked with the coach in a talent rich WR/CB draft.......oh he wasn't done he gave away another 3 and 2 5ths for a guard because he thought Carolina wanted him.........did he forget our problem was on defense .....So LB class is lacking he decides we need special team help so he pick two of the lightest LB he could find in a rich laden CB/WR draft....they still had on the board CB that weighed more & taller than the LB's we drafted Did I mention we needed CB in a rich starting caliber draft . He drafts little LB to play special teams ....Wow... do he understand we face Fournette this year and our D was terrible..... micky will not last through his contract once the losing begin its going to get nasty. We will see who the one voice blame for this

Edited by liverpoolkev

Hence the weak draft giving all of our picks away for plan B players.. It all make sense now ..... Reuben Foster top 10 talent fall to 27th after we make a trade down Nope mcstupid get a CB in a CBtalent heavy draft .....That forced New Orleans and San Fran to trip over themselves to get to Reuben....... wow that is micky-d priceless lets continue Did I say it was a heavy talent CB/WR draft......micky has a 2 two 3's 4 - 5th rounders and a 6......he gives a 3&5 away for a WR who worked with the coach in a talent rich WR/CB draft.......oh he wasn't done he gave away another 3 and 2 5ths for a guard because he thought Carolina wanted him.........did he forget our problem was on defense .....So LB class is lacking he decides we need special team help so he pick two of the lightest LB he could find in a rich laden CB/WR draft....they still had on the board CB that weighed more & taller than the LB's we drafted Did I mention we needed CB in a rich starting caliber draft . He drafts little LB to play special teams ....Wow... do he understand we face Fournette this year and our D was terrible..... micky will not last through his contract once the losing begin its going to get nasty. We will see who the one voice blame for this

I liked the draft for the most part. We hit a home run with the 2018 pick and the extra 3rd. I had no issues going up to get Zay Jones and I like the White pick a lot. It felt like a lot to give up for Dawkins but he has a massive ceiling. We can have a Raiders/Cowboys type of OL if he plays to his talent. They got a few LBs that can run which was necessary and a QB that slid. Peterman has a pretty low ceiling imo but a high floor. He may be a long-term #2 at worst and solid starter at best. That's good value for that part of the draft. They signed the top punter as well. They missed the mark some in my opinion by not getting a RB, S, TE or DL. There are still 2 deep spots available at all 4 of those positions. They'll have to continue to work the wire and cuts. A trade shouldn't be ruled out either, especially with our OL depth. Maybe Ducasse, Cyrus, Seantrel, Groy or Mills goes to a team thin at OL for one of those guys. How about Cyrus for Hill or Bernard in Cincinnati?

Really? You don't think that they would have cleared out all of football ops without him agreeing? He is the guy with the power there. That's not changing anytime soon. That's why they aren't getting some big name GM. The best case scenario is a young guy, with a good working relationship with McDermott and a similar vision. I'm not saying that it is a problem but you aren't getting a Coughlin type of guy in here now. The power will be coming from the HC's office in Buffalo.

I don't understand how this isn't clear to some people. The power structure of the front office is no longer a mystery. McDermott tops the chain of command for football related decisions. Any GM that interviews for the position will know this as well. We can no longer complain about Pegula's "flat" power structure. We now have a pyramid with McDermott at the top. I like what I've seen from McDermott. It may all work out. However, it is somewhat concerning to me that the Pegulas hand total control over to someone who doesn't a Parcells or Coughlin level of success and experience. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

NO GM is coming here if they cant hire their own guy period ..... Just look for patsys that can work with micky-d before they both get fired

I think a GM will come here because they have a clean slate from the scouting department. I also think that the GM will probably be able to buy in to what Pegula is doing as far as resetting the personnel at OBD. McDerm would have to be part of what the GM signs on to but I still believe the GM's job is to find the talent. Signing two backup special teams CBs doesn't change my mind.

I think a GM will come here because they have a clean slate from the scouting department. I also think that the GM will probably be able to buy in to what Pegula is doing as far as resetting the personnel at OBD. McDerm would have to be part of what the GM signs on to but I still believe the GM's job is to find the talent. Signing two backup special teams CBs doesn't change my mind.

It doesn't support your case that he hasn't been running the show. Who declined Watkins option? Edited by Kirby Jackson

It doesn't support your case that he hasn't been running the show. Who declined Watkins option?

Who was supposed to decline Watkins at this point? I think since the draft he has been running the show because they don't have a GM but I still believe a GM will be hired to do what a GM does otherwise they would have given McDermott the power already. I guess we will see though in a few weeks when someone is hired.