Who's chewing up the Bills 2005 cap

Trying to figure out where the Bills are getting good bang for their buck, where we may save some money, who needs to be restructured, etc.....

I am only listing players at 1.3 million and up.

Mike Williams 9.2

Takeo Spikes 5.4

Eric Moulds 5.2

Aaron Schobel 4.1

Lawyer Milloy 4.0

London Fletcher 3.8

Nate Clements 3.5

Troy Vincent 3.4

Chris Villarrial 3.0

Trey Teague 2.6

Sam Adams 2.6

Jeff Posey 1.8

Pierson Prioleau 1.7

Lee Evans 1.5

Willis McGahee 1.4

Travis Henry 1.4

Mark Campbell 1.4

Rian Lindell 1.3

JP Losman 1.3

Two quick observations...

MW needs to be restructured ASAP

A large amount of cap space is being used in the two safety positions and the starting LB's.

A large amount of cap space is being used in the two safety positions and the starting LB's.

258489[/snapback]

well we have had one of the best d's in the league the last 2 years, and to get that type of production you have to pay. But we dont want to get out of whack like indy with their o. balance is the key.

after looking at this and clump's new 3/2 cap ledger, its clear we can't sign PW and JJ and still add at O Line, RB, TE, backup QB, etc. TD;s got his work cut out for him. Henry for Shelton would be a nice start.

well we have had one of the best d's in the league the last 2 years, and to get that type of production you have to pay.  But we dont want to get out of whack like indy with their o.  balance is the key. 

after looking at this and clump's new 3/2 cap ledger, its clear we can't sign PW and JJ and still add at O Line, RB, TE, backup QB, etc.  TD;s got his work cut out for him.  Henry for Shelton would be a nice start.

258502[/snapback]

Yes, we can if the Bills choose to.......the Bills can create millions in cap space.

well we have had one of the best d's in the league the last 2 years, and to get that type of production you have to pay.

258502[/snapback]

I guess having to sign 5 veteran FA's at the LB & safety positions, will cause a lopsided amount of money to be used at those positions.

Are we in good cap shape for 2006? I believe that the contracts of Fletcher, Milloy, Clements and Posey all expire at the end of this year. No Bledsoe as well.

I would think that we will be well under the cap in 2006 with some possible free agents to re-sign.

Mike Williams' contract is a disaster. We could get two good OTs for the amount we are spending on Williams. I am also surprised at Villarail's cap number. Did he perform to his contract last year? Not sure.

MW needs to be restructured ASAP

258489[/snapback]

Would you restructure MW after last season debacle? He dissapeared from camp for a few days and was in real bad shape.

Restructuring means MW gets a heluva alot more money up front and his cap hits are enlarged over the next 2 years, or he can extend his agreement which means he gets a heluva alot more money up front and we are stuck with him for an extra year or so.

If MW comes into camp, in shape and on time, and he has the "I'm your new LT attitude", and then back it up I would forsee TD extending MW's contract and giving us quite a bit of space over the next few years.

If MW pulls another out of shape "Where's Waldo" then I don't forsee TD doing anything that would force us to hold onto MW any longer then we have to.

Our other concern in Eric Moulds who has a very nasty cap hit next year. Restrucuturing only bought us 1 more season with EM

I think Mike Williams would have been cut last week if it wasn't for him being a top 5 pick.

258537[/snapback]

He wouldn't have received that contract if he wasn't a top 5 pick. Rookie contracts aren't all that flexible, are they?

Would you restructure MW after last season debacle?  He dissapeared from camp for a few days and was in real bad shape.

258554[/snapback]

I raised these same concerns about MW a few weeks ago when considering if you want to extend his contract. I'd extend him based on his play of last year, but not at LT money.

I raised these same concerns about MW a few weeks ago when considering if you want to extend his contract.  I'd extend him based on his play of last year, but not at LT money.

258568[/snapback]

I doubt MW would bite then. His contract already has some big "LT" numbers in it. If he extends it will be for more of the same. Thats why TD is not going to rework MW's contract in the near future IMO. We need to see some more back on our initial investment before we invest somemore.

Actually the problem the bills have is alot better than where Indy is. You can pay top players at the non-"glamour" positions alot less money, therefore more left to spread around. It cost also more $$ to sign the top QB and recievers than it does to sign the top LB and safety. So I don't think that's a bad thing.

Nate Clements is a 3.4$ mil hit. He's be an ideal guy to give a big signing bonus to and extend out a few years since he's a FA after this year anyway.

I agree too, you don't want to extend MW until you know he's got his head on straight.

well we have had one of the best d's in the league the last 2 years, and to get that type of production you have to pay.  But we dont want to get out of whack like indy with their o.  balance is the key.

I think Mike Williams would have been cut last week if it wasn't for him being a top 5 pick.

258537[/snapback]

Oh really? Do you have idea what the cap implications are if we cut him? Did you know that bonus $$ is amortized, and if we cut him he'd probably still eat up over 6 mil in cap space this year?

Just thinking aloud here...if we trade Henry for Shelton, and release Pierson, then the cap hit is essentially a wash. Shelton I believe is a 3 million dollar hit and Henry + Pierson = 3 million dollars as well.

So now our O-Line would be Shelton, ?, Teague, Villarial, Williams.

Not bad. We can then use the extra 3 million we got (putting away 3 million for the Draft) to sign a quality LG like Vincent and a backup QB.

Then our O-Line looks like Shelton, Vincent, Teague, Villarial, Williams. Even better, and we still have money to sign our draft picks. In the draft we can nab a backup RB, a WR to compete for the 3rd WR spot and some more O-Line depth. I'd be content with that.

Are we in good cap shape for 2006?  I believe that the contracts of Fletcher, Milloy, Clements and Posey all expire at the end of this year.  No Bledsoe as well.

I would think that we will be well under the cap in 2006 with some possible free agents to re-sign.

258534[/snapback]

how did this rumour about 2006 free agents get started?

fletch, milloy, and posey are all signed through the 2006 season.........clements is the only from that group with his contract up after this year........