Who's chewing up the Bills 2005 cap

about MW and his huge contract...welcome to the world of top 5 draft picks...no matter what you do, all of the top 5 picks have these massive cap hits once they start getting into the 3rd-4th-5th years of their 6 and 7 yr contracts...its what happens, we hafta deal with it...

He wouldn't have received that contract if he wasn't a top 5 pick.  Rookie contracts aren't all that flexible, are they?

258561[/snapback]

That's irrelevant to what I said. If any other player on the team with similar talent and the same position had this contract and he wasn't drafted by the Bills so early, he would have been cut. What other RTs who are not protecting left-handed QBs make this kind of money?

Oh really? Do you have idea what the cap implications are if we cut him? Did you know that bonus $$ is amortized, and if we cut him he'd probably still eat up over 6 mil in cap space this year?

258594[/snapback]

Sorry, I hadn't looked deeply into the cap hit if he was cut, I retract my statement. If it was mainly pure salary, then I think my statement stands.

about MW and his huge contract...welcome to the world of top 5 draft picks...no matter what you do, all of the top 5 picks have these massive cap hits once they start getting into the 3rd-4th-5th years of their 6 and 7 yr contracts...its what happens, we hafta deal with it...

258624[/snapback]

PastaBelly wrote a good article about this in terms of San Fran not really wanting the top pick this year as it kills you cap wise if the player doesn't work out. And as of now, there does not appear to be that sure fire, no brainer, this guys ganna make a differance player, at the top of the draft.But yet, if you make the pick, your gonna have to pay the dude like he is that player. This is definately the one area where the NBA CBA has it all over the NFLs. Would love to see a max amount paid based on your draft position like the NBA. Also, no holdouts. Dudes in the NBA sign contracts a freakin week after their picked.