Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

And Rosen has good Football IQ coupled with his mechanics...

hence why he can be special

If anyone has been a football fan for any length of time you know there are no sure things.  No one measure is always 'the best way' to evaluate a kid coming out of collage and projecting their success in the NFL. 

Rosen is bright, has superior mechanics and has some questions.

Darnold has a big arm, has played some great games and has some questions.

Mayfield's stats are off the charts, intensely passionate, throws receivers open and has questions.

Allen has all the measurable but can't hit a net from 10 yards away (sorry I couldn't resist) and has questions.

Every evaluator has to decide which combination of attributes and flaws will yield them the best result.  If I could hand place each of these guys on a team with a specific scenario I think they would all be successful.  But they go where they get drafted and the best players go to the worst teams by design.  Sometime that works out and sometimes it fails miserably.

I think Rosen would do very poorly in Cleveland and very well with the Giants.  Bottom line "can be" is accurate, will be is quite another story.   Let's see where he ends up first.

Just now, CritMark said:

If anyone has been a football fan for any length of time you know there are no sure things.  No one measure is always 'the best way' to evaluate a kid coming out of collage and projecting their success in the NFL. 

Rosen is bright, has superior mechanics and has some questions.

Darnold has a big arm, has played some great games and has some questions.

Mayfield's stats are off the charts, intensely passionate, throws receivers open and has questions.

Allen has all the measurable but can't hit a net from 10 yards away (sorry I couldn't resist) and has questions.

Every evaluator has to decide which combination of attributes and flaws will yield them the best result.  If I could hand place each of these guys on a team with a specific scenario I think they would all be successful.  But they go where they get drafted and the best players go to the worst teams by design.  Sometime that works out and sometimes it fails miserably.

I think Rosen would do very poorly in Cleveland and very well with the Giants.  Bottom line "can be" is accurate, will be is quite another story.   Let's see where he ends up first.

Definitely. I believe i said can be as well...

None of these guys are cant miss... the NFL has always been about the situation you are I 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely. I believe i said can be as well...

None of these guys are cant miss... the NFL has always been about the situation you are I 

You did say it and I was quoting you.  I laugh when I hear people say the last 'can't miss' guy was Luck.  People forget that Indy got that pick because the very good team with Manning at the helm had to go thru a year without him.  Had Manning played, they don't get that pick.  Once they got a quality QB back, they were the same very good team they were with Manning.  

BTW - here is a little piece of trivia for you.  Had Cleveland not missed a 36 yard field goal against the Rams, it would have been the Rams and not the Colts with that pick.  Late in a game against the Rams, Cleveland missed a 36 yard field goal that cost them the game and subsequent cost the Rams Andrew Luck.  

On 31/01/2018 at 4:50 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Nice!  Have missed your contributions to the board.  I hope that you will be commenting a lot on draft prospects in the months leading up to the draft!

To be perfectly honest, I'm way behind on my usual pre-draft prep. I haven't even watched a CFB game since October.

I'm sure that I'll dig into a few guys soon but the inclination has completely passed me by in recent months.

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

And Rosen has good Football IQ coupled with his mechanics...

hence why he can be special

He looks every bit the part of a franchise QB. From afar.

However, his “football IQ” isn’t that good. Whatever that even means.

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

He looks every bit the part of a franchise QB. From afar.

However, his “football IQ” isn’t that good. Whatever that even means.

If you don't understand what football IQ is how can you comment on it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoebruin.com/2018/01/10/ucla-football-trent-dilfer-gives-support-josh-rosen/amp/

here is trent dilfer saying he is very intellectual and at the end of the article high football IQ is mentioned 

and Dilfer has been very hard on him over the years going back to elite 11

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

You

To be perfectly honest, I'm way behind on my usual pre-draft prep. I haven't even watched a CFB game since October.

I'm sure that I'll dig into a few guys soon but the inclination has completely passed me by in recent months.

I hope you are doing well. This is the time of year in which you shine. When it comes to the draft you are illuminating! You and some of the other "draftinistas" make following the draft fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you don't understand what football IQ is how can you comment on it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoebruin.com/2018/01/10/ucla-football-trent-dilfer-gives-support-josh-rosen/amp/

here is trent dilfer saying he is very intellectual and at the end of the article high football IQ is mentioned 

and Dilfer has been very hard on him over the years going back to elite 11

Because I’m smart. That’s why.  And I never said I don’t understand it. 

I understand what people think it means. It’s not quantifiable. And I’m going by what you think it means and Rosen doesn’t have as much as you think he does.

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Because I’m smart. That’s why.  And I never said I don’t understand it. 

I understand what people think it means. It’s not quantifiable. And I’m going by what you think it means and Rosen doesn’t have as much as you think he does.

We will see.

he certainly doesn't lack it ...

and I know what it means. I grew up on a football field 

Edited by Buffalo716

20 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

So did I. 

Question...how much Rosen have you watched? Not just from searching through Twitter/Youtube/Etc? 

Dude,  I am fortunate enough to be employed in the game of football.

all I do is watch football 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t care.

How much Rosen have you watched? Because it sounds like it isn’t much.

I have watched every game from his true freshmen year. And a few from his junior year. (USC, A&M, Memphis and Oregon) 

i will watch every game

And I never said he is a perfect prospect by any means ... but he has a lot of things that coaches would love to work with

his durability concerns may be real... he will need to get bigger 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have watched every game from his true freshmen year. And a few from his junior year. (USC, A&M, Memphis and Oregon) 

i will watch every game

And I never said he is a perfect prospect by any means ... but he has a lot of things that coaches would love to work with

his durability concerns may be real... he will need to get bigger 

I’m with you on Rosen, dude. Something could stop him from being great but he probably has the best chance out of the bunch to be awesome. Great arm, great mechanics, pro concepts, good accuracy, great size, smart, carried a team devoid of talent.

When Jay questions you and your opinions, just remember that he loved Jake Locker after watching like all of his games in person or something like that. Just goes to show that none of us can predict the future but your opinion is as well researched as they come on TBD.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I just dont like how he's been benched this year

I love Falk's game.  This article actually highlights why I'm so high on him.  His benching this year I'm not for sure if it was his wrist that he did have surgery on after the season.  Or as Leach explained he wanted him to see the plays developing from the sideline, which would suggest he might be a bit too quick to get the football out?  I'm not sure.  What I am sure of is that 1) He can be as accurate as anyone in the class; 2)  he's played A LOT of football; 3) He's a grinder with a humble attitude that just keeps his head in the playbook and works; 4) his head is always on a swivel once the football is snapped so he's a field progressions guy - especially when you watch 2015 and 2016; 5)  He's a football guy and not a system guy.

I'm very confident that Falk can make a transition to the NFL X's and O's wise.  My biggest question mark with Falk is his frame.  As Zerlein accurately said, "he took a beating this year".  Of course, he may not be in systems with the lack of protection at WSU when in the NFL.  Leach believed/believes in 5 receiving options on EVERY play.  The Patriots run some of this, but not like Leach.  I'm sure NFL coaches will do a better job of protecting their QB.  In any case.  I like the kid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.