TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

If the Pegulas plan to run two GM searches and a coaching search at the same time when they haven't proven they can do any one of those things separately yet I'm getting my popcorn ready. It has the potential to be an apocalyptic disaster. The honeymoon is over and they are about to start feeling the heat big time if this is not a home run (if it happens of course)

Edited by Madd Charlie

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Pegulas plan to run two GM searches and a coaching search at the same time when they haven't proven they can do any one of those things separately yet I'm getting my popcorn ready. It has the potential to be an apocalyptic disaster. The honeymoon is over and they are about to start feeling the heat big time if this is not a home run

The honeymoon is definitely over.

Russ Brandon retaining his role with the Bills and being promoted to the other teams will prove to be an epic mistake. If success on the field/ice is truly the goal, Rnadon has proven to be an awful executive. He's run nothing but dysfunctional front offices and been a part of some terrible coaching hires.

Edited by fridge

The honeymoon is definitely over.

Russ Brandon retaining his role with the Bills and being promoted to the other teams has proven to be an epic mistake. If success on the field/ice is truly the goal, Rnadon has proven to be an awful executive. He's run nothing but dysfunctional front offices and been a part of some terrible coaching hires.

Agreed. They need to get this right for sure. I hate to say it but they are setting themselves up for failure if they keep making decisions the way they have been. Hopefully they realize that

Agreed. They need to get this right for sure. I hate to say it but they are setting themselves up for failure if they keep making decisions the way they have been. Hopefully they realize that

If there's anything we can all agree on, anything that has been one true constant throughout this entire crappy drought... it's that the definitely don't realize that.

If there's anything we can all agree on, anything that has been one true constant throughout this entire crappy drought... it's that the definitely don't realize that.

Things will get better once the fully fumigate the FO and burn it down. RWs trash needs to be taken out, the carpets ripped out, walls down top the bare studs and everything scrubbed from the top down and sterilized...

Things will get better once the fully fumigate the FO and burn it down. RWs trash needs to be taken out, the carpets ripped out, walls down top the bare studs and everything scrubbed from the top down and sterilized...

They might never do that though. Brandon is completely 100% embedded with the Pegula Sports & Entertainment. They even paid off Tim Graham to write a very random pro-Brandon piece just this week.

Sorry man the same two backup QB love posters push me over the edge every time I add something about drafting a QB. I added the QB thing because it is the biggest knock I have with Whaley. Once again sorry everyone please return to OP topic.

Sorry man the same two backup QB love posters push me over the edge every time I add something about drafting a QB. I added the QB thing because it is the biggest knock I have with Whaley. Once again sorry everyone please return to OP topic.

You seem to believe you have stumbled upon the secret to NFL success, one that has never occurred to anyone else in history: a great QB is the key to great success. Hate to burst your bubble but everybody knows that. Most of us also know that just wanting one doesn't mean you can just draft any old guy and - voila! - he magically becomes The Guy.

I know many around here believe DW is an idiot who somehow goes out of his way to avoid signing one of the apparently hundreds of super talented franchise QBs wandering the campuses of America. Silly me, I think it might have something to do with franchise-level QBs being nearly as rare as unicorns and not because of any obtuseness on Whaley's part.

They might never do that though. Brandon is completely 100% embedded with the Pegula Sports & Entertainment. They even paid off Tim Graham to write a very random pro-Brandon piece just this week.

I know you're over the moon with the Brandon hate, but dude, really?

Even if they do it guarantees nothing. There's nothing that the Pegulas have done so far that inspires confidence that they will bring in the right people to get it done. Winning is not easy it's not about just bringing in new people in, It has to be the right people, and even then they may have growing pains. Seeing how the Pegulas operate they will probably get the boot before they figure it out. Do you notice that the "fire him" people usually have only got that far in their thinking? Thats how we got into this playoff mess to begin with.

Edited by Madd Charlie

I know you're over the moon with the Brandon hate, but dude, really?

I don't actually think Terry Pegula paid Tim Graham, I was trying to be silly with my hate. I'm trying to switch it up... the routine is getting stale the longer he stays.

Even if they do it guarantees nothing. There's nothing that the Pegulas have done so far that inspires confidence that they will bring in the right people to get it done. Winning is not easy it's not about just bringing in new people in, It has to be the right people, and even then they may have growing pains. Seeing how the Pegulas operate they will probably get the boot before they figure it out. Do you notice that the "fire him" people usually have only got that far in their thinking? Thats how we got into this playoff mess to begin with.

I really agree with the "right person". It's the reason why the Tim Murray firing was so maddening to me. He may have not wanted to fire Bylsma, and I get that, but they held an entire press conference and said nothing of the sort so I definitely will chalk it up to impatience and incompetence. Tim Murray would eventually have been the right person, and now they're throwing some pretty pathetic names out there as a replacement.

For the Bills, people want Whaley fired, but...if McDermott is really involved in the hiring, what structure is that? What's the game plan?

I don't actually think Terry Pegula paid Tim Graham, I was trying to be silly with my hate. I'm trying to switch it up... the routine is getting stale the longer he stays.

Doesn't the fact that a writer from the Buffalo News--a publication that has had nothing but scathing reviews of the Pegulas and Bills/Sabres in general--wrote such a positive piece about the guy tell you anything?

Doesn't the fact that a writer from the Buffalo News--a publication that has had nothing but scathing reviews of the Pegulas and Bills/Sabres in general--wrote such a positive piece about the guy tell you anything?

Well, it was Tim Graham, let's not get ahead of ourselves. If you really want trust the gospel of Graham, he did say that Brandon had more to do with the roster than you think.

Also, the RB defense gets weirder and weirder the longer we go without the playoffs. At this point...why, as a fan that cares exclusively about winning and not about marketing, would you prefer to retain an executive with as much on-the-field failure? I genuinely don't understand. The team cannot win consistently and the organization has embarrassed itself regardless of the owner. Why wouldn't you want a fresh start?

Buffalo sports fans, in general, have not been shy about their need to see heads roll when things are not going well and it makes sense that we're angry over so much losing. At some point, you have to see things through though. The new fresh face may be good for marketing but it does nothing for winning unless you catch lightening in a bottle and luck up on Brady in the 6th round or get that 1 of 100 up and comer in the right place at the right time. Being willing and able to develop people and long hard work is what gets it done in the real world

Well, it was Tim Graham, let's not get ahead of ourselves. If you really want trust the gospel of Graham, he did say that Brandon had more to do with the roster than you think.

Also, the RB defense gets weirder and weirder the longer we go without the playoffs. At this point...why, as a fan that cares exclusively about winning and not about marketing, would you prefer to retain an executive with as much on-the-field failure? I genuinely don't understand. The team cannot win consistently and the organization has embarrassed itself regardless of the owner. Why wouldn't you want a fresh start?

For starters, I actually don't like the Buffalo News--I think it's a 2nd-rate paper at best. My point was more to ask if you've given any thought to the idea that Brandon might actually be worth commending for his work in the marketing/administrative department.

As for my take on Brandon, it's always been the same: don't ascribe to him that for which he doesn't have responsibility. Do I think he should stay? Yes. I think the work he did on both stadium leases and the job he's done securing sponsorship has been impressive.

For starters, I actually don't like the Buffalo News--I think it's a 2nd-rate paper at best. My point was more to ask if you've given any thought to the idea that Brandon might actually be worth commending for his work in the marketing/administrative department.

As for my take on Brandon, it's always been the same: don't ascribe to him that for which he doesn't have responsibility. Do I think he should stay? Yes. I think the work he did on both stadium leases and the job he's done securing sponsorship has been impressive.

....he is in a Business Administration/Marketing role of PSE only now which is why he should stay......he never should have been moved into the personnel arena during the days of RW's patchwork FO and administration...he was NOT qualified.....Pegula had to retain Brandon & Whaley after being blindsided by Marrone exodus and organization upheaval....I think the Wrecks debacle which had Brandon's fingerprints all over it to sell tickets FINALLY convinced TP that he will have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING between the white stripes, be it players or coaches...with the draft, cuts\releases, possible injuries, need to sign additional players to round out the final 53, housecleaning now doesn't make much sense.....TP May retain Whaley ONLY if he agrees to make any necessary or needed changes to his scout staff.....Wade did NOT and he got the axe..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

....he is in a Business Administration/Marketing role of PSE only now which is why he should stay......he never should have been moved into the personnel arena during the days of RW's patchwork FO and administration...he was NOT qualified.....Pegula had to retain Brandon & Whaley after being blindsided by Marrone exodus and organization upheaval....I think the Wrecks debacle which had Brandon's fingerprints all over it to sell tickets FINALLY convinced TP that he will have NOTHING to do with ANYTHING between the white stripes, be it players or coaches...with the draft, cuts\releases, possible injuries, need to sign additional players to round out the final 53, housecleaning now doesn't make much sense.....TP May retain Whaley ONLY if he agrees to make any necessary or needed changes to his scout staff.....Wade did NOT and he got the axe..........

The Rex hire was an owner hire. Whether Brandon was encouraging him to hire the vociferous coach is not the decisive factor in his hiring. Terry P paid $1.4B for his new high profile company. He had the ability to consult with people inside the organization and outside the organization before selecting this fool coach. The person he hired to become his HC, his first major hire, was fired from his previous job with the Jets and let that team in shambles. That certainly wasn't a secret. Terry P could have made a phone call to Bill Polian and ask him what does he think? He could have called any of the owners or any of the former GMs who were still involved in the business through their media and consulting work and ask them what were their thoughts? If he would have been more diligent in examining the candidate's record it is doubtful that Rex would have been his first high profile hire.

I don't care what Brandon told the naive owner who had little knowledge about his new endeavor. He didn't do the proper due diligence and it came back to haunt him. Before the first season was over he knew that the decision he made was a disaster. So let's not pass the buck on who was responsible for this stupendous boondoggle. It was the owner. If he was unduly influenced by a marketing employee then the onus is still on him because he made the selection.

To Pegula's credit he is not afraid to admit mistakes and acknowledge that something isn't working. He wasn't going to continue and allow his outlandish mistake to linger longer than it needed to be because he was the reason why it happened. He without much delay fired the fraud and went on to a better path. Although he was the cause of this ridiculous saga he stepped in and corrected the problem. I salute him for that while still blaming him for the fiasco.