QB wonderlic scores

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, like Jerry Sullivan.

And Fitz was certainly a flawed qb but he had a better career than 90% of qbs with much, much less physical talent.

He did, but he could have taken multiple teams to the playoffs if he were aware of his own limitations. Fitz had an uncanny ability to make poor decisions at the most crucial moments. It's ironic that the biggest downfall for the Harvard grad was often the mental aspect of the game.

He did, but he could have taken multiple teams to the playoffs if he were aware of his own limitations. Fitz had an uncanny ability to make poor decisions at the most crucial moments. It's ironic that the biggest downfall for the Harvard grad was often the mental aspect of the game.

I still think part of that was him knowing when he didn't have a choice but to try a throw he wasn't confident in. In the final minutes windows get tighter and you don't get to wait for the next down.

You see similar with guys that play well between the 20s but don't finish out drives well. At the biggest moments you see guys shortcomings and his arm couldn't zip balls in consistently

I still think part of that was him knowing when he didn't have a choice but to try a throw he wasn't confident in. In the final minutes windows get tighter and you don't get to wait for the next down.

You see similar with guys that play well between the 20s but don't finish out drives well. At the biggest moments you see guys shortcomings and his arm couldn't zip balls in consistently

Yes, but many times he did have a choice. I'll never forget the Giants game in the Meadowlands. I think we were up late in the game. Fitz tries to force a sideline throw that he isn't capable of making. It resulted in a pick, and the Bills lost the game. He would force unnecessary throws even when we were leading. He doesn't know his limitations, and has poor situational awareness. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

What did EJ or Tyrod get?

EJ got a 28.

Yes, but many times he did have a choice. I'll never forget the Giants game in the Meadowlands. I think we were up late in the game. Fitz tries to force a sideline throw that he isn't capable of making. It resulted in a pick, and the Bills lost the game. He would force unnecessary throws even when we were leading. He doesn't know his limitations, and has poor situational awareness.

He played like Brett Farve when he had an arm like Chad Pennington. If Fitz played more like Alex Smith, he would have been a lot more consistent.

But dude laid it all on the field and I respect that.

EJ got a 28.

He played like Brett Farve when he had an arm like Chad Pennington. If Fitz played more like Alex Smith, he would have been a lot more consistent.

Fitz had everything you could ask for in a QB except the arm talent.

Fitz had everything you could ask for in a QB except the arm talent.

and a brain that knew the limits of that arm.

EJ got a 28.

Great point about how he played like Favre. He could have been really successful had he played like Alex Smith.

All scored above a 20. I thought Dobbs the Rocket Scientist would be higher than 29. Kaaya had a 34 which led the group (I think he's a sleeper for the Bills in the mids btw. Needs to develop but fits Dennison system.) Chad Kelly got a 22, not too bad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/23/all-top-quarterback-prospect-scored-more-than-20-on-wonderlic/

The wonderlic is an outdated measurement of intellect. But I think with QBs, it can be a factor considering how much info they need to process very quickly.

Is that why some people like Dobbs? Because he's a "rocket scientist?"

He's a terrible QB.

I'm not a fan of drafting a QB this year, but would be fine with Kaaya in round 3 or later. If Mahomes made it to the Bills in Rd 3, that would be nice, but I doubt that happens.

Yes, but many times he did have a choice. I'll never forget the Giants game in the Meadowlands. I think we were up late in the game. Fitz tries to force a sideline throw that he isn't capable of making. It resulted in a pick, and the Bills lost the game. He would force unnecessary throws even when we were leading. He doesn't know his limitations, and has poor situational awareness.

That was a frustrating game. Wasn't it also to a hobbled Stevie Johnson?

It bears remembering he's thrown like 4000 passes and Alex smith has lost games too.

I vaguely recall talking stats and his last season here something along the lines of 13 out of 15 picks being when trailing and about half of those coming in the 4th quarter... I think the year prior was very similarly skewed. Most were coming late in winnable games, but from behind. The type of situation where he had to make plays he couldn't consistently make. With the lead or early in games he threw considerably fewer

Edited by NoSaint

That was a frustrating game. Wasn't it also to a hobbled Stevie Johnson?

It bears remembering he's thrown like 4000 passes and Alex smith has lost games too.

I vaguely recall talking stats and his last season here something along the lines of 13 out of 15 picks being when trailing and about half of those coming in the 4th quarter... I think the year prior was very similarly skewed.

It's also worth noting that while we were talking about WRs in another thread, here are where Fitz's receivers were drafted: Stevie 7th, Donald Jones UDFA, David Nelson UDFA, Roosevelt UDFA.

It's actually kinda of amazing what Fitz did with that group. And perhaps the wr position is overvalued.

It's also worth noting that while we were talking about WRs in another thread, here are where Fitz's receivers were drafted: Stevie 7th, Donald Jones UDFA, David Nelson UDFA, Roosevelt UDFA.

It's actually kinda of amazing what Fitz did with that group. And perhaps the wr position is overvalued.

That really wasn't a great WR group, but I have just never been willing to give Fitz the love so many other fans did. The biggest issue Fitz struggled with was under throwing receivers. It doesn't matter if he played with subpar recievers. Under throws are almost always on the QB. His arm wasn't strong, but he didn't want to understand that fact. I will always view him as a below average starter and a top notch backup. The problem is that the guy always ended up being a starter everywhere he went.

Ask anyone close to the scouting community or one of these online guys that have made a name for themselves over the years: none of the players really bother trying very hard on the test and it ultimately doesn't count for much towards the overall grade a team places on a prospect.

Fitz, Gabbert, Alex Smith, Kaepernick... all had very good scores.

Yet,

Marino, McNabb, Bradshaw all had borderline embarassing scores.

Honestly, I have said it since day one, if you pay attention more to their on field play oppose to their off field testing you will be better off.

I have seen a lot of players picked way to highly because their off field testing pushed them up.

That really wasn't a great WR group, but I have just never been willing to give Fitz the love so many other fans did. The biggest issue Fitz struggled with was under throwing receivers. It doesn't matter if he played with subpar recievers. Under throws are almost always on the QB. His arm wasn't strong, but he didn't want to understand that fact. I will always view him as a below average starter and a top notch backup. The problem is that the guy always ended up being a starter everywhere he went.

He had one exceptional under throw against the Patriots. Got the PI call. Won the game for us.

I'm pretty sure everyone views him as that. There's no mystery on that. The dudes mom probably would say that's what he is.

I'd like some kind of sign of brains in a skull.

Too much $$$ is at stake to not have a person at the helm who can think and/or improvise.

Absolutely. It's fashionable these days to bash any standardized test so people just repeat that nonsense, but those tests are a baseline tool to understand if a guy has completely blown off education his entire life.

I have no interest in a QB who doesn't possess some minimal ability to communicate in English or process simple math problems.

And a UDFA in Fred, a 7th rounder in bell at LT and of course fitz himself. We should probably just skip the first 2 days of the draft and be happy with our 6 wins amirite?