Whaley = Donahoe

Me too! It just blows my mind that people who just want to hate on something can't even get credit for Whaley building a really good defense that year. We beat Rodgers without scoring an offensive td!

Most of the players on that D were there before Whaley was GM. He gets credit for Brandon Spikes & Preston Brown, but that's about it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should just get credit for the moves he actually made.

Yeah, He deserves no credit for Jerry Hughes. He had probably deserves no credit for putting together a top 10 offense.

He signs MG but obviously he is a failure for not keeping him for $3 million to be a backup.

TD: 31-49 (39 winning %), finished 8-8 or better twice in 5 years

Whaley: 30-34 (47 winning %), finished 8-8 or better twice in 4 years.

Great, informative post though.

They both sucked.

Donahoe over-gutted the team....taking it down to the barebones for a rebuild......and unnecessarily extracting it's identity(a tough 3-4 defense) in the process.

Whaley inherited an ascending roster and the team simply hasn't won.

As mentioned before on TSW......it's rare for a GM to survive missing the playoffs for as long as Whaley has.....especially when you consider he has had a big hand in building the team roster for longer than he's been GM.

Yeah, He deserves no credit for Jerry Hughes. He had probably deserves no credit for putting together a top 10 offense.

He signs MG but obviously he is a failure for not keeping him for $3 million to be a backup.

He didnt sign hughes. Nix was the GM. If you are giving whaley credit gor that it isnt true. Edited by Bill_with_it

Whaley haters: he drafted EJ (April 25)!

Whaley didn't make the Hughes trade (April 29)!

Wow where did I state Whaley was responsible for drafting the bust? He certainly not responsible for Hughes and he is most certainly responsible for doubling and tripling down on the bust known as Manuel.

Wow where did I state Whaley was responsible for drafting the bust? He certainly not responsible for Hughes and he is most certainly responsible for doubling and tripling down on the bust known as Manuel.

Haha. He didn't give up a young qb right away? Fire him!

Not a failure, but a poor strategist in this case. TD Mike was worth $2.76m to this team all day.

Doug found him and signed him, maybe this one's on Overdorf. McDermott has to be pissed off, they just lost the best #2 back in the league trying to be cute.

Edited by Webster Guy

Not a failure, but a poor strategist in this case. TD Mike was worth $2.76m to this team all day.

Doug found him and signed him, maybe this one's on Oberdorf. McDermott has to be pissed off, they just lost the best #2 back in the league trying to be cute.

I think paying a backup RB that much money is pretty stupid considering the depth of the position, the wear and tear, & the ability the Bills have shown to find good rbs.

If it's a d or o linemen, I get more of the outrage. But most rbs who get extend carries behind this oline do really, really well. This is a league where Bilal Powell (who the Bills almost signed) ran for over 700 yards as a backup RB at 5.5 ypc.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Doug found him and signed him, maybe this one's on Overdorf. McDermott has to be pissed off, they just lost the best #2 back in the league trying to be cute.

I hope he's pissed and not some delusional Gregg Williams thinking he is going to win games because he's special.

The running game IS THEIR IDENTITY.

I can't say it has anything to do with why the Pats signed him to that offer sheet but one of the reasons the Bills never get off the mat in this division is a lack of organizational identity.

Getting McDermott off to a bad start is a long range win-win for the Pats.

I hope he's pissed and not some delusional Gregg Williams thinking he is going to win games because he's special.

The running game IS THEIR IDENTITY.

I can't say it has anything to do with why the Pats signed him to that offer sheet but one of the reasons the Bills never get off the mat in this division is a lack of organizational identity.

Getting McDermott off to a bad start is a long range win-win for the Pats.

You are right that the running game is Buffalo's identity. That's one of the main structural problems for this antiquated franchise because a ground and pound approach to the game is archaic in the modern NFL. No one can dispute the fact that the Bills are one of the best running teams in the league. What does that limited approach to the offense get you? Certainly not enough wins, especially against good teams.

The reality is that an emphasis is placed on the running game out of necessity. It is done in order to mask the limitations of its qb/s. It seems to not have occurred to the geniuses who run the football operation that by upgrading the qb position you will also in effect be upgrading a multitude of positions.

The Bills have not had a legitimate franchise qb for over twenty years. The reluctance to take a meaningful action to address the most important issue that has crippled this franchise has gotten beyond being perplexing to the point of being weird.

No other NFL organization would hire Whaley as their GM.

So if Lawson and Ragland are studs this year, Washington and Seymour are good starters, Williams becomes a solid back up running back and Cardale grabs the #2 QB spot and Listenbee contributes at WR then I guess you can all put the poor draft crap to bed and maybe finally give Whaley a little bit of credit. That was just last years draft. Let'

s go back two years ago and we have a starting corner in Darby, a starting guard with pro bowl potential in Miller, O'leary who is still contributing. Whaley can't help the fact that Karlos Williams, a stud rookie, has personal issues with weight and drugs. Dezmin Lewis is also still hanging around. Three years ago we have a potential star in Watkins, a solid lineman who looks to be on the rise in Kouandjio, a starter at linebacker in Brown, and a late round pick in Henderson that if he wasn't battling health issues would be an incredible find. I think Whaley hits way more in the draft than people give him credit for and does much better than the average team in the NFL. He also finds some nice free agent pick ups which has been well documented. Be careful what you wish for we could get another Terry Bledsoe, Marv Levy, Tom Donahoe or Buddy Nix.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

Maybe they wanted the pick, figuring they can always get another running back

it is the reality... it is an offense and qb driven league

I don't disagree with that but you said Donahoe new the importance of a QB and Whaley does not. First off, I think any GM knows the importance of a QB. Donahoe got Bledsoe who had 2 ok years left in the tank for a first round pick and he wasted another first round pick on Losman who he eventually replaced with Kelly Holcomb. So, in 5 years he wasted 2 first round picks for a QB and ended up with nothing. I honestly am not even that upset that Tom tried to get us a QB but to compare him to Whaley; you have no merit and you like I said are just talking out the side of your mouth like a typical Bills fan who just loves to complain and wants change. So again, what you stated is not reality...