Should the Bills move back in the draft to stockpile picks

If the Bills were smart, they would draft down.

1. Not going to Super Bowl or playoffs in 2017.

2. Need multiple players/positions.

3. Need a QB next year for sure.

4. New HC/COordinators: evaluate talent and build next year again.

You also need players at some positions that are in the top 5 in the league at their position. Hard to do that when you have 2 very high 1st round picks and an extra 3rd now.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade up for a QB if Tyrod doesn't work... Do you understand now? This isn't about Whaley, McD is here for as long a he needs.

If you go to my opening comments on this thread, you will see I posed that same question about stock piling picks to move up in next years draft. Smart move IMO.

If you go to my opening comments on this thread, you will see I posed that same question about stock piling picks to move up in next years draft. Smart move IMO.

I don't think that the stockpiling of picks is going to be used to move up to get an elite qb prospect in a subsequent year/s. Most teams who are in a position to take a top tier qb prospect desperately need a qb. So they are unlikely to do that type of deal. My judgment is that the Bills are making deals to acquire more picks because they want to rework the roster and change the structure of the cap so they will be in a better position to get good bargain free agents. What's going on is over the next couple of years this roster is going to be undergoing major changes.

I don't think that the stockpiling of picks is going to be used to move up to get an elite qb prospect in a subsequent year/s. Most teams who are in a position to take a top tier qb prospect desperately need a qb. So they are unlikely to do that type of deal. My judgment is that the Bills are making deals to acquire more picks because they want to rework the roster and change the structure of the cap so they will be in a better position to get good bargain free agents. What's going on is over the next couple of years this roster is going to be undergoing major changes.

Didnt the Eagles and Titans (and Washington) both recently trade into the #2 spot for a QB?

We may not get #1, but we definitely have a shot at #2.

Edited by DrDareustein

Didnt the Eagles and Rams both recently trade out of the #2 spot to a team that wanted a QB?

We may not get #1, but we definitely have a shot at #2.

If there is a Luck or Manning type prospect it is unlikely that a team in position to draft such an elite prospect would be willing to do so. You also have to factor in what are you giving up and are other teams bidding up the costs? The Eagles got Wentz last year but they gave up a lot. It's got to be stressed that making plans to select a qb in upcoming years doesn't mean that you can get the hopeful deal done.

I disagree and Sal C. from WGR550 would disagree as well. I was listening to the WGR morning show this morning and Sal C. feels the Bills are going to use both first round picks to move up in next year's draft to select a QB. Even when asked if that is exactly what the Bills plan on doing next year (moving up to select a QB in 2018), McDermott said the Bills have done their homework in regards to next year's draft class.

I do agree with you that the Bills are making deals to acquire more picks to fill in holes and rework the roster, which is a smart move. McDermott is also trying to win in 2017, so he's preparing to use multiple picks next year on a QB.

I disagree and Sal C. from WGR550 would disagree as well. I was listening to the WGR morning show this morning and Sal C. feels the Bills are going to use both first round picks to move up in next year's draft to select a QB. Even when asked if that is exactly what the Bills plan on doing next year (moving up to select a QB in 2018), McDermott said the Bills have done their homework in regards to next year's draft class.

I do agree with you that the Bills are making deals to acquire more picks to fill in holes and rework the roster, which is a smart move. McDermott is also trying to win in 2017, so he's preparing to use multiple picks next year on a QB.

I agree with some of what you are saying but have a different perspective on some other parts of your position. Let me start by being positive about this usually stolid organization. To its credit it is taking a more strategic rather than the typical Whaley patchwork approach to building a roster. That is a good thing. In my opinion this roster is going to be significantly altered over the next two years.

With respect to the qb issue I am not arguing that the Bills aren't desirous of pursuing a high end qb prospect. Where I disagree with you and those who criticize my stance is that waiting another year provides little assurance. Let me offer a hypothetical argument to better explain my position. If this year there were two or three elite prospects do you really believe that we would be in position to select them, even with offering up additional picks? If those type of special prospects were available in this draft neither Cleveland or San Fran or Chicago or the Jets would make a deal giving up the right to draft a coveted qb prospect.

Let's look at the Buffalo franchise. It is not wretchedly bad but it is not unfair to say that it is wretchedly mediocre. This team is built to win between 6 to 8 games at best. The record over the past number of years indicates it is a middle of the pack type team. Counting on using our acquired picks to be in a better position to move to the top of the draft is a dicey gamble.

The basis of disagreement I have with the majority of people on this site is that I strongly believe that this draft had good qb prospects such as Trubisky, Watson, Mahommes and maybe some other. Many people want better options. My standard response to that exacting standard is to say: Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. What I find telling is better run teams such as Houston and KC felt that the qbs that we were willing to pass were good enough for them. Or another way of looking at is is winners usually have more credibility than losers.