Should the Bills move back in the draft to stockpile picks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please cite some specifics of how it has "worked out great".

From my vantage point, what has worked out great is the throwaway 6th round pick on Tom Brady. I do not think that the Pats' drafts have been that great beyond Brady and Gronk.

Having the GOAT QB covers a LOT of weaknesses and Bellichick is THE master at finding players that aren't very good in other schemes and making them work - especially in his defense.

What NE has done well is trading picks in round n this year for picks a round earlier the following year (e.g. This year's (late) second for a first next year). How many fans and reporters (opinioners) would melt down on the Bills for such a deal? (They need help NOW, who will play THIS year? They will probably mess up the extra 1st next year anyway. But the drought...)

The Bills always need help immediately, that's because they've built their teams terribly throughout this playoff drought. It should be painfully obvious by now that they need a franchise QB. The best way to get a franchise QB is at the top of the draft. So if the Bills aren't at the bottom of the league in the standings, then how are they going to be able to draft at the top? Either by tanking or by having to trade up and give up multiple picks. Guys like Wilson, Prescott and Brady are two few in between as not many lower round QB's workout.

Next would be having a solid offensive line that can pass protect something teams like the Patriots, Cowboys and Raiders have. The Raiders have sucked since their last Super Bowl appearance, but they finally built their team right.

So the way I look at it, it's either the Bills should suck for a few years like they did in the mid-80's so they can draft at the top of the draft and get some elite players, or they could trade back a time or two, stock pile draft picks either for this year or future years and have the ammo to move up in the draft if there is an elite player available that fits their needs.

This title was misleading and I believe that affected the poll. Trading back? Hell yes! For a QB next year? Maybe.... That depends....

TBD limits the amount of characters on the title of the thread which is why I listed out the entire question in the poll.

From what it sounds like, this years QB class is weak. I don't want to see the Bills draft another Manuel or Losman in the first round. If there is an elite prospect(s) in the draft next year, then the Bills will need all the extra draft picks to move up in the draft without setting the franchise back years with having to give up multiple high round draft picks such as the Redskins did with RG3.

When did we stop talking about draft?

Keep talking.

Really? Well thanks for pointing that out.

Do you really believe that the OP thinks the NFL draft works like an effin video game and that the Bills can trade down with the push of their wireless controller?

Apparently, since he doesn't seem to consider that:

A) This is a deep draft without much top end talent, meaning unless a team falls in love with a guy there is little incentive for them to trade up to get that player instead of just staying where they are and taking a similar player

B) The return likely will be a lot less than normal because of the deepness of the draft and might not be worth it.

The question is "Should they" instead of "Can they" or "Is it realistic to" as if it is simply a foregone conclusion.

Edited by matter2003

Another reason NO is the draft starts at 8. Ten minutes per pick. Drafting 10th is 100 minutes. It is now well after nine. If we drop back I will be in bed and miss the best part. Us picking.

....LMAO......obviously you weren't around when the draft was SEVENTEEN rounds...all time favorite was Kent State's Don Nottingham, dubbed the "Human Bowling Ball", pick #441 in round 17 of 1971 draft by Colts....closer to home, Howard "House" Ballard went in the 11th of 1987 draft at #283.....seven rounds today is like picking at a drive up window.....

more picks=more successful picks

The odds improve.

....LMAO......obviously you weren't around when the draft was SEVENTEEN rounds...all time favorite was Kent State's Don Nottingham, dubbed the "Human Bowling Ball", pick #441 in round 17 of 1971 draft by Colts....closer to home, Howard "House" Ballard went in the 11th of 1987 draft at #283.....seven rounds today is like picking at a drive up window.....

I used to have Don's card, kept it next to John Mackey, Johnny U and Earl Morrall.

Apparently, since he doesn't seem to consider that:

A) This is a deep draft without much top end talent, meaning unless a team falls in love with a guy there is little incentive for them to trade up to get that player instead of just staying where they are and taking a similar player

B) The return likely will be a lot less than normal because of the deepness of the draft and might not be worth it.

The question is "Should they" instead of "Can they" or "Is it realistic to" as if it is simply a foregone conclusion.

It's called having a strategy, such as in multiple years, not just thinking about this season. For any business to be successful, there has to be a plan/vision on what the business should be and strategies to accomplish that vision. For the past 17 years, it seems the only vision this team has had is coming up with marketing schemes to sell tickets, not how to make this team a winner. I have absolutely no doubts that many of us that post here on TBD could have built a more successful team over the past 17 years than the clowns 🤡 that have been running this team.