we could have drafted gronk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we blew it on Torell Troupe. We should have shot at OJ Howard, the best TE prospect in years, who will work well in this offense. I hope we don't blow it again for a chance at the 2nd or 3rd best CB, safety or LB.

So could have every team...some of them twice...he was a 2nd round pick. Had serious questions about a back injury in college. Probably enough to have him Medically red flagged by a lot of teams...let's not write revisionist history like it was so cut and dry in this case

Can someone please start multiple, one-off threads, on all the people we could have drafted, but didn't?

I'll get my supercomputer fired up to start looking at scenarios...

This one is special, Papa Gronk was probably calling and writing to OBD every day for years touting the talent of his sons.

Probably tapes of the Bills "braintrust" complaining about this jerk father, best to deliberately not pick his kids.

Like the guys who rejected the Beatles because guitar groups were on the way out.

Edited by row_33

And we blew it on Torell Troupe. We should have shot at OJ Howard, the best TE prospect in years, who will work well in this offense. I hope we don't blow it again for a chance at the 2nd or 3rd best CB, safety or LB.

Troup was going to be a very good player till the back injury. And a lot of that back injury came from being a team-first guy willing to try to play through injury. If you haven't read this, you should.

http://buffalonews.com/2015/11/21/torell-troup-one-pick-ahead-of-gronk/

As for Howard, it's a different situation. Did we already have one of the best receiving TEs in the league on the roster when we passed on Gronk? I don't think it's impossible, but it would mean picking a second TE over several positions where we don't really have NFL talent, such as corner, LB and RT.

From the article:

"His rookie year was OK. A start. This second season would be dynamite.

"Through the 2011 lockout, Troup trained with a vengeance. He reported to training camp at a chiseled 319 pounds, eager to break out. Practices began at St. John Fisher and the kid who had 23 tackles and no sacks the year prior was dominant for stretches.

“'Honestly, I was killing the offensive line,'Troup said. 'Eric Wood, I’m good friends with him, but they couldn’t handle me.'

"One day in the lunchroom, head coach Chan Gailey and General Manager Buddy Nix couldn’t contain their excitement. The two asked Troup to sit down with them and told this bull in a china shop they had no clue what he did over the offseason, but, wow, were they ecstatic to see this all transfer to game day.

"Their words added more fuel to Troup’s fire. His tear continued. Teammates today still remember Troup’s raw strength.

“'Low center of gravity,' guard Kraig Urbik said. 'Super strong. Legs were very thick. Strong dude – he was tough to move for sure.'

“'He was a strong dude,' Wood said.

“'Big, powerful guy,' added veteran Kyle Williams. 'He’s probably not your pass rusher, but a guy who could stack things up at the line and make plays at the line of scrimmage and do some good things there.'

"Reached by phone, Nix instantly remembers this camp well.

“'Those big guys are hard to find! Especially him,' Nix said. 'He had some movement ability and was really a strong anchor guy.'

"As Nix recalls, the Bills were shifting to a 3-4 scheme when they took Troup and needed a nose to take on double teams."

Edited by Thurman#1

Torell Troupe was apparently having an amazing camp/workouts before breaking his back. Tough luck.

TJ Graham over Russell Wilson is more criminal. I also want to remind everyone that with who we have had at QB, Gronk wouldn't be a damn thing. Also, Gronk has missed a much greater percentage of games than Sammy, fans would burn his Buffalo home down.

Tell me, is there a single REASON to live in the GLORIOUS PAST of the BILLS? Oh yeah.. there's none. so LET'S NOT!

Pretty thin gruel this offseason, no boasting from the coach, no arraignment of players....

Why stop at Gronk? Could've drafted Tom Brady, could've drafted Aaron Rodgers, could've drafted Russell Wilson, could've drafted Deandre Hopkins, could've drafted Le'Veon Bell, could've drafted Travis Kelce, could've drafted Jordan Reed, could've drafted TY Hilton, could've drafted Josh Norman, could've drafted Justin Houston, could've drafted Richard Sherman, could've drafted Earl Thomas, could've drafted Dez Bryant, could've drafted Jimmy Graham, could've drafted Kam Chancellor, could'e drafted Antonio Brown, could've drafted Clay Matthews, could've drafted Aqib Talib, could've drafted Jordy Nelson, could've drafted Matt Forte, could've drafted Calais Campbell, could've drafted Desean Jackson, could've drafted Jamal Charles, could've drafted Haloti Ngata, could've drafted Tamba Hali, could've drafted Jahri Evans, could've drafted Frank Gore, could've drafted Vince WIlfork, coulda shoulda woulda.

This one is special, Papa Gronk was probably calling and writing to OBD every day for years touting the talent of his sons.

Probably tapes of the Bills "braintrust" complaining about this jerk father, best to deliberately not pick his kids.

Like the guys who rejected the Beatles because guitar groups were on the way out.

They would have been right if they let the Beatles stick with Pete Best.

They would have been right if they let the Beatles stick with Pete Best.

Rumor has it Paul a John weren't happy with the attention Pete was getting from the gals.

It's only hearsay but they did did go from a good lookin' bloke to one of the most unattractive humans in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Every other team had a shot too. AND every other team had multiple shots at Tom Brady.

The point, weenies/haters, is that many people believe he is a once every five years or so tight and that we will have a shot at versus giving the next mediocre corner.