Mets fans?

Another Fan

On 2/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, Gugny said:

We are incredibly lucky to have Ron, Keith and Gary.  There is no other broadcast team in any sport that is better than them, IMO.  And I'll opine the same with regard to Howie Rose on the radio.

@SinceThe70s.  @ExWNYer

Changed up the conversation a little any chance David Wright gets in the Hall of Fame?

My initial reaction when he retired was too bad the back prevented him from it being a possibility.  But I mean my initial reaction with Scott Rolen was great career but a cut below the Hall of Fame.

And I mean the Hall imo is turning more into a place for the very good.  

9 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s.  @ExWNYer

Changed up the conversation a little any chance David Wright gets in the Hall of Fame?

My initial reaction when he retired was too bad the back prevented him from it being a possibility.  But I mean my initial reaction with Scott Rolen was great career but a cut below the Hall of Fame.

When I think of David Wright and the Hall of Fame, my initial thought is that he doesn't stand out as Cooperstown material.

However ... as you mentioned, the HOF has definitely become watered down (much to my dismay) and I did come across this short, related piece ... https://www.prosportsfanatics.com/mlb/david-wrights-case-for-the-hall-of-fame

Compared to other third basemen’s statistics currently in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Wright's career statistics are eye-opening. Wright’s career .296 batting average is better than current Hall of Famers such as Mike Mike Schmidt, Ron Santo, Jimmy Collins, and Eddie Matthews. Wright also had 242 career home runs, 124 more than Wade Boggs, who only had 118. The seven-time All-Star also finished with more home runs than other Hall of Fame members such as Freddie Lindstrom and Paul Molitor. According to Baseball-Reference, Wright ranks 24th among the Third Base JAWS Leaders. That is a higher ranking than six current third basemen in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

He might just make it.  He finished at .296 lifetime with 970 RBI.  Had he finished at .300 with 1000 RBI, I'd say he'd be a definite.

But that will likely be close enough.  I'd love to see it. 

EDIT:  I looked at his stats a little more closely and was reminded of the 2009 season, where his power took a significant dip, thanks to the opening of Citi Field.  He had been averaging about 30 HRs and over 100 RBI per season leading up to the 2009 season.  In 144 games, he hit 10 HR and had 72 RBI.  He hit for average, of course, but that season is what stands out the most as the one that kept him from the 1000 career RBI mark.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wrighda03.shtml

Edited by Gugny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s.  @ExWNYer

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I think of David Wright and the Hall of Fame, my initial thought is that he doesn't stand out as Cooperstown material.

However ... as you mentioned, the HOF has definitely become watered down (much to my dismay) and I did come across this short, related piece ... https://www.prosportsfanatics.com/mlb/david-wrights-case-for-the-hall-of-fame

Compared to other third basemen’s statistics currently in the Baseball Hall of Fame, Wright's career statistics are eye-opening. Wright’s career .296 batting average is better than current Hall of Famers such as Mike Mike Schmidt, Ron Santo, Jimmy Collins, and Eddie Matthews. Wright also had 242 career home runs, 124 more than Wade Boggs, who only had 118. The seven-time All-Star also finished with more home runs than other Hall of Fame members such as Freddie Lindstrom and Paul Molitor. According to Baseball-Reference, Wright ranks 24th among the Third Base JAWS Leaders. That is a higher ranking than six current third basemen in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

He might just make it.  He finished at .296 lifetime with 970 RBI.  Had he finished at .300 with 1000 RBI, I'd say he'd be a definite.

But that will likely be close enough.  I'd love to see it. 

EDIT:  I looked at his stats a little more closely and was reminded of the 2009 season, where his power took a significant dip, thanks to the opening of Citi Field.  He had been averaging about 30 HRs and over 100 RBI per season leading up to the 2009 season.  In 144 games, he hit 10 HR and had 72 RBI.  He hit for average, of course, but that season is what stands out the most as the one that kept him from the 1000 career RBI mark.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wrighda03.shtml

David Wright is the quintessential Hall of Very Good for me. I'm not a big fan of the argument that since player X  got in, that that player Y should too. I feel like the Halls get dumbed down by this mentality every time they let (what I consider) a marginal candidate. With that said, I feel like Rolen and Wright were pretty similar in talent- except that Rolen was a much better third baseman.

In the past week or so I read some of Deion Sanders comments that the NFL Hall should have an 'upper room' for the truly elite. Interesting thought but it wouldn't be necessary or worth considering if they raised the bar of entry.

Back to baseball - looks like Cohen is on a kick to retire more and more Mets numbers. A nice sentiment, but I'm not a fan of that either. I prefer that it remain an  exclusive honor.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

David Wright is the quintessential Hall of Very Good for me. I'm not a big fan of the argument that since player X  got in, that that player Y should too. I feel like the Halls get dumbed down by this mentality every time they let (what I consider) a marginal candidate. With that said, I feel like Rolen and Wright were pretty similar in talent- except that Rolen was a much better third baseman.

In the past week or so I read some of Deion Sanders comments that the NFL Hall should have an 'upper room' for the truly elite. Interesting thought but it wouldn't be necessary or worth considering if they raised the bar of entry.

Back to baseball - looks like Cohen is on a kick to retire more and more Mets numbers. A nice sentiment, but I'm not a fan of that either. I prefer that it remain an  exclusive honor.

I agree with all of this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 3:31 PM, Gugny said:

I agree with all of this.

@SinceThe70s@ExWNYer

Speaking of Mets commercials this one is a real blast from the past!

Johnnys sort of a guy I think a little more fondly on with time.  Had a solid run with the Mets.  But I was ready to see him go at the end there.  I recall he was in his 40s and clubhouse politics came up.  But as I said today I think more fondly 

Al Leiter on the other hand just not a fan.  He had some great gutty performances but overstayed his welcome.  Still not really a fan of his personality today.  

idk why but 90s/early 00 Met teams I think of those two 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

@SinceThe70s@ExWNYer

Speaking of Mets commercials this one is a real blast from the past!

Johnnys sort of a guy I think a little more fondly on with time.  Had a solid run with the Mets.  But I was ready to see him go at the end there.  I recall he was in his 40s and clubhouse politics came up.  But as I said today I think more fondly 

Al Leiter on the other hand just not a fan.  He had some great gutty performances but overstayed his welcome.  Still not really a fan of his personality today.  

idk why but 90s/early 00 Met teams I think of those two 

I was always a Franco fan.  I don't recall clubhouse politics during his tenure, but I don't doubt it one bit.  Leiter never bugged me, either, but I can definitely see how his personality can rub people the wrong way.

When I think of Mets I didn't care for, the two names that immediately come to mind are Tom Glavine and Carlos Beltran.  One more recent player would be Syndergaard.  I think he really became a loudmouth as.shole during his last couple seasons.

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was always a Franco fan.  I don't recall clubhouse politics during his tenure, but I don't doubt it one bit.  Leiter never bugged me, either, but I can definitely see how his personality can rub people the wrong way.

When I think of Mets I didn't care for, the two names that immediately come to mind are Tom Glavine and Carlos Beltran.  One more recent player would be Syndergaard.  I think he really became a loudmouth as.shole during his last couple seasons.

It’s cool as well to read Reds fans that still think fondly on Johnny.  Yeah I agree Glavine and Beltran don’t leave a good taste in my mouth.  I’d say ditto for Pedro Martinez.  He helped bring the franchise back to credibility but overstayed his welcome if I remember right.  

Max Scherzer against San Diego still bothers me.  For that kind of money that kind of effort.  But imo Josh Allen as well gets coddled a bit much by this fanbase.  Though that AIDS comment was funny you mentioned 😊

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It’s cool as well to read Reds fans that still think fondly on Johnny.  Yeah I agree Glavine and Beltran don’t leave a good taste in my mouth.  I’d say ditto for Pedro Martinez.  He helped bring the franchise back to credibility but overstayed his welcome if I remember right.  

Max Scherzer against San Diego still bothers me.  For that kind of money that kind of effort.  But imo Josh Allen as well gets coddled a bit much by this fanbase.  Though that AIDS comment was funny you mentioned 😊

I think Pedro turned out to be a really good Met. I remember within days of him signing with NY, he publicly tried to lure Varitek to join him. Piazza was still our catcher, so that rubbed me to e wrong way (plus, I was never a Varitek fan, although him grabbing Alex Rodriguez by the throat is one of my favorite baseball memories of all time).

@Another Fan @Gugny

Late to the party but I was the opposite with Franco and Leiter. I never really warmed up to Franco - didn't like having a closer nibbling at the corners trying to get batters to chase. With that said my lasting memory of Franco was Bonds chasing one out of the zone to end a playoff game. I always liked Leiter, he was a battler. The other guy I liked a lot from that time was Rick Reed. For a short period of time he was a very very good starter.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Just found out that with the larger bases first base will be 3" closer to home plate. That will translate to more infield hits and fewer double plays.

I’ll give a proper response to this tomorrow, because this conversation infuriates me and I want to have a nice Sunday. 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/25/2023 at 10:53 AM, Gugny said:

I think Pedro turned out to be a really good Met. I remember within days of him signing with NY, he publicly tried to lure Varitek to join him. Piazza was still our catcher, so that rubbed me to e wrong way (plus, I was never a Varitek fan, although him grabbing Alex Rodriguez by the throat is one of my favorite baseball memories of all time).

Your post made me do some research why he didnt leave a good taste in my mouth.  I think my main issue was he got a 4 year contract but really only produced for 1.5 years of it.  Plus in 2009 he went to the Phillies in a complete attempt to get a ring that year.  I mean not my least favorite Met but I wasn't a fan.  

Btw I looked him up on this site

https://ultimatemets.com/profile.php?PlayerCode=0750&tabno=7

If you're not familiar with or hadn't heard of it it's pretty cool.  It gives fan memories of all the Mets and all the games.  It's not really as active as it used to be but still a good source of info.  I've posted a few times there under Dan the Man.  @SinceThe70s @ExWNYer  I'll give a shout as well for that Mets database site if you hadnt heard of it 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/25/2023 at 7:11 PM, SinceThe70s said:

@ExWNYer @Gugny @Another Fan

Just found out that with the larger bases first base will be 3" closer to home plate. That will translate to more infield hits and fewer double plays.

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with what Rob Manfred is doing to baseball.

Sh!t Changes:

• Larger bases. - This is just one of the changes that, to me, are making MLB look more like Bantam League Girls Softball.  Bigger bases means shorter baselines.  Add this to the next idiotic change listed and we'll see a lot more steal attempts and I'd imagine the success rate will skyrocket.
  • Limiting pickoff attempts to two/plate appearance. - See above.  This allows the hitting team to have the baserunners take bigger leads and, depending on the batter, call more hit and runs without having to worry about a pickoff attempt.  
  • Beginning extra innings with a runner on 2nd. - See bullet number one ... Little League horseshit.  What's next?  A rover?
  • Banning the shift. - This one infuriates me.  There is data that shows that, statistically, the shift actually benefits the batter.  I don't particularly care for the shift, but the Mets have gotten good at beating it, and so have all teams, generally speaking.  Most of the hits off the shift are extra-base hits.  That numbers show that teams/batters have been getting better at beating the shift.  I've always believed that the shift would result in youth, high school, collegiate and pro baseball getting back to fundamentals with regard to hitting and dissuade batters from getting up there and trying to pull the ball with every swing.  (Do you remember in Dom Smith's rookie season when he came up to bat in a clear bunting situation and swung away/ended the inning?  Callaway's postgame quote: "We thought about bunting, but Dom's never bunted in his professional career, so we didn't think that would be a good idea."  NOT GOOD 
  • Expanded playoffs. - One MAJOR change I'd welcome is a shorter season.  I think the regular season needs to be cut not only back to the 154-game season, but I'd be fine if they cut more than that.  Now, we're saddled with 162 regular season games and a postseason that nearly goes into the second week of November.  The Mets won game 7 of the World Series on October 27, 1986.  I know it's not a huge difference, but I think the playoffs are going to get watered down.

Changes I Can Live With/Understand:

• Limiting position players taking the mound. - This one makes sense to me.  I've always thought it was fun for a position player to pitch, but with the goal of shorter games, I think this is logical.
  • Pitch clock. - This is one that I've been in favor or since it began being discussed.  I was THRILLED to learn that it also applies to batters.  Three-plus hour games never bothered me, but I've always enjoyed the shorter ones.  This helps and I think it makes the game-watching experience better.
  • Universal DH - We all know this was discussed for YEARS before MLB finally pulled the trigger on it.  During most of those years, I was dead-set against the Universal DH.  I loved that the AL and NL were played differently.  I still love small ball more than watching 162 Home Run Derbies every season.  But, as the years went on, I softened my stance.  By the time last season came around, I was ready to embrace the change.  Nostalgia was the only thing that kept me from doing that in previous years and it felt good to finally come around.  I'm just glad we get to see Big Sexy hit a bomb.  That will forever be one of my favorite baseball moments of all time and now, there would be nearly no chance of that ever happening.

In summary, I think Rob Manfred is a colossal douchebag and he's destroying baseball.

#LFGM

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with what Rob Manfred is doing to baseball.

Sh!t Changes:

• Larger bases. - This is just one of the changes that, to me, are making MLB look more like Bantam League Girls Softball.  Bigger bases means shorter baselines.  Add this to the next idiotic change listed and we'll see a lot more steal attempts and I'd imagine the success rate will skyrocket.
  • Limiting pickoff attempts to two/plate appearance. - See above.  This allows the hitting team to have the baserunners take bigger leads and, depending on the batter, call more hit and runs without having to worry about a pickoff attempt.  
  • Beginning extra innings with a runner on 2nd. - See bullet number one ... Little League horseshit.  What's next?  A rover?
  • Banning the shift. - This one infuriates me.  There is data that shows that, statistically, the shift actually benefits the batter.  I don't particularly care for the shift, but the Mets have gotten good at beating it, and so have all teams, generally speaking.  Most of the hits off the shift are extra-base hits.  That numbers show that teams/batters have been getting better at beating the shift.  I've always believed that the shift would result in youth, high school, collegiate and pro baseball getting back to fundamentals with regard to hitting and dissuade batters from getting up there and trying to pull the ball with every swing.  (Do you remember in Dom Smith's rookie season when he came up to bat in a clear bunting situation and swung away/ended the inning?  Callaway's postgame quote: "We thought about bunting, but Dom's never bunted in his professional career, so we didn't think that would be a good idea."  NOT GOOD 
  • Expanded playoffs. - One MAJOR change I'd welcome is a shorter season.  I think the regular season needs to be cut not only back to the 154-game season, but I'd be fine if they cut more than that.  Now, we're saddled with 162 regular season games and a postseason that nearly goes into the second week of November.  The Mets won game 7 of the World Series on October 27, 1986.  I know it's not a huge difference, but I think the playoffs are going to get watered down.

• Limiting position players taking the mound. - This one makes sense to me.  I've always thought it was fun for a position player to pitch, but with the goal of shorter games, I think this is logical.
  • Pitch clock. - This is one that I've been in favor or since it began being discussed.  I was THRILLED to learn that it also applies to batters.  Three-plus hour games never bothered me, but I've always enjoyed the shorter ones.  This helps and I think it makes the game-watching experience better.
  • Universal DH - We all know this was discussed for YEARS before MLB finally pulled the trigger on it.  During most of those years, I was dead-set against the Universal DH.  I loved that the AL and NL were played differently.  I still love small ball more than watching 162 Home Run Derbies every season.  But, as the years went on, I softened my stance.  By the time last season came around, I was ready to embrace the change.  Nostalgia was the only thing that kept me from doing that in previous years and it felt good to finally come around.  I'm just glad we get to see Big Sexy hit a bomb.  That will forever be one of my favorite baseball moments of all time and now, there would be nearly no chance of that ever happening.

In summary, I think Rob Manfred is a colossal douchebag and he's destroying baseball.

#LFGM

Pretty much agree with everything you don't like. I'll bet we see catchers throwing to first a lot more this year.

I like the intent of the pitch clock too, the time some batters take to get in the box is ridiculous. Went to a game last year and a fan in the stands was absolutely killing Schwarber for taking so much time -  guy was hysterical, had me in tears.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Gugny said:

Sh!t Changes:

#LFGM

While I agree with most that the cutting down the season is my biggest pet peeve.  The season is just to damn long

After the Mets lost I just with every fiber of my being cared less after that point.  And this is not a jaded Mets fan talking….  the 2001 World Series Yankees/Diamondbacks was my favorite one to watch in my lifetime 

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @ExWNYer

A completely pass lunch hour/offseason post.  I watched Burlesque.  I’ve always had a thing for Christina Aguilera.  Then I’m thinking didn’t the Mets have a pitcher with that same last name?  So yeah it refreshed my memory Rick Aguilera was the one that almost lost Game 6 against Boston.

But then I looked at his post Mets career and he actually did pretty well.  Won a World Series with the Twins and was an all star closer.  While the Mets didn’t trade Nolan Ryan by letting him go, I’d say that was one of the more underrated bad trades of the organization.  Him for Viola.

Outside of Cone, I’d actually say he had the best career of any of the 80s Mets pitchers.  Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

A completely pass lunch hour/offseason post.  I watched Burlesque.  I’ve always had a thing for Christina Aguilera.  Then I’m thinking didn’t the Mets have a pitcher with that same last name?  So yeah it refreshed my memory Rick Aguilera was the one that almost lost Game 6 against Boston.

But then I looked at his post Mets career and he actually did pretty well.  Won a World Series with the Twins and was an all star closer.  While the Mets didn’t trade Nolan Ryan by letting him go, I’d say that was one of the more underrated bad trades of the organization.  Him for Viola.

Outside of Cone, I’d actually say he had the best career of any of the 80s Mets pitchers.  Thoughts? 

Yeah, Aguilera was solid, for sure.  This is a great topic and I want to do some digging in, instead of just speaking just off of my memory alone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, Aguilera was solid, for sure.  This is a great topic and I want to do some digging in, instead of just speaking just off of my memory alone.

Well I mean Gooden was good from like 1984-1991 but after that he wasn't really the same pitcher and well he had all his other troubles.  

Ron Darling had good years with the Mets as well.  From 1984 to 1989 but he kinda leveled off after that.  Also, he was never really strong in big games.  1986 Game 7 against the Red Sox, 1988 game 7 against the Dodgers.  

Rick seemed to have a pretty steady decent career after he left the Mets.  I mean not bad at all for a guy that seemed more the quiet afterthought of the 86-88 rotation 

• Agree 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:59 PM, Another Fan said:

On 3/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, Gugny said:

On 3/6/2023 at 6:29 PM, Another Fan said:

Well I mean Gooden was good from like 1984-1991 but after that he wasn't really the same pitcher and well he had all his other troubles.  

Ron Darling had good years with the Mets as well.  From 1984 to 1989 but he kinda leveled off after that.  Also, he was never really strong in big games.  1986 Game 7 against the Red Sox, 1988 game 7 against the Dodgers.  

Rick seemed to have a pretty steady decent career after he left the Mets.  I mean not bad at all for a guy that seemed more the quiet afterthought of the 86-88 rotation 

@SinceThe70s

Sadly, there are not many to choose from of those 1980s Mets pitchers. You could certainly make a case for Rick Aguilera. I really liked him and was not pleased when they traded him in the Frank Viola deal but they had to give up something of value in order to get a pitcher of Viola's stature.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

@SinceThe70s

Sadly, there are not many to choose from of those 1980s Mets pitchers. You could certainly make a case for Rick Aguilera. I really liked him and was not pleased when they traded him in the Frank Viola deal but they had to give up something of value in order to get a pitcher of Viola's stature.

@Gugny 

Didn't get a chance to respond - in part because I couldn't refute  @Another Fan's  point off the top of my head - at face value it felt wrong.  It still does, but I'm having a hard time refuting it.  I remember Aguilera being a decent hitter and at best a slightly above average starter as a Met.  I'm also biased because I never watched much AL baseball. 

As a starter he never hit the highs that Gooden hit.  Looking solely at saves Aguilera had a great run from 1990-1998. Then take a look at Randy Myers from 1988-1998.  Looks like we missed out on some good relievers. I never fretted about Aguilera but Myers success with the Nasty Boys (him, Rob Dibble and Norm Charlton) always bothered me. We gave him up for John Franco. I had forgotten that - but probably another reason I never warmed up to Franco.

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny 

Didn't get a chance to respond - in part because I couldn't refute  @Another Fan's  point off the top of my head - at face value it felt wrong.  It still does, but I'm having a hard time refuting it.  I remember Aguilera being a decent hitter and at best a slightly above average starter as a Met.  I'm also biased because I never watched much AL baseball. 

As a starter he never hit the highs that Gooden hit.  Looking solely at saves Aguilera had a great run from 1990-1998. Then take a look at Randy Myers from 1988-1998.  Looks like we missed out on some good relievers. I never fretted about Aguilera but Myers success with the Nasty Boys (him, Rob Dibble and Norm Charlton) always bothered me. We gave him up for John Franco. I had forgotten that - but probably another reason I never warmed up to Franco.

@Gugny  @ExWNYer

Admittedly Rick having the same last name of one of my big teenage crushes and a singer I always liked made me zone in on him more.  Lol

But this reliever I still remember well.  He was real good as well.  In fact so much so when I see his son play I still always recall

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Gugny @Another Fan @ExWNYer

Can't believe Opening Day is tomorrow. As much as I love baseball the season starts too early and ends too late IMO.

Happy to see they chose the more versatile Locastro over Ruf - but I fully expect Ruf to have a much better year at the plate than last year - hopefully in the AL.

Projected roster doesn't include Alvarez, Baty, Vientos or Mauricio. Vogelbach looks like the backup at 1B and Guillorme backs up 2B, SS and 3B. 

And in late breaking news Daniel Murphy will be playing for the Long Island Ducks this year. Ducks are our local independent team, manager is Wally Backman, pitching coach is Nelson Figueroa and apparently Murph will be reunited with Ruben Tejada.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Gugny @Another Fan @ExWNYer

Can't believe Opening Day is tomorrow. As much as I love baseball the season starts too early and ends too late IMO.

Happy to see they chose the more versatile Locastro over Ruf - but I fully expect Ruf to have a much better year at the plate than last year - hopefully in the AL.

Projected roster doesn't include Alvarez, Baty, Vientos or Mauricio. Vogelbach looks like the backup at 1B and Guillorme backs up 2B, SS and 3B. 

And in late breaking news Daniel Murphy will be playing for the Long Island Ducks this year. Ducks are our local independent team, manager is Wally Backman, pitching coach is Nelson Figueroa and apparently Murph will be reunited with Ruben Tejada.

Signing Ruf was a mistake.

Retaining his "services," was an even bigger mistake.

They finally got it right by letting him go.

Young guns all sent back down.  I'm okay with it, albeit a little disappointed - especially with Alvarez.

VERY cool news about Murph!!!

Lastly, I TOTALLY agree that March baseball is pure crap; as is November baseball.

LET'S F*CKING GO METS!!!

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2023 at 8:20 AM, SinceThe70s said:

My son said it best this morning: why can't we have nice things?

I'm assuming Diaz will be out for the season. 

They said recovery for that injury is typically 8 months so there is a very small chance that he is back for the playoffs but in all reality, yes, he's done for this year.

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Signing Ruf was a mistake.

Retaining his "services," was an even bigger mistake.

They finally got it right by letting him go.

Young guns all sent back down.  I'm okay with it, albeit a little disappointed - especially with Alvarez.

VERY cool news about Murph!!!

Lastly, I TOTALLY agree that March baseball is pure crap; as is November baseball.

LET'S F*CKING GO METS!!!

@Another Fan

This year has flown by and things have snuck up on me. I can't believe that opening day is tomorrow and that the NFL draft is less than a month away. Crazy. Gug, I expected Alvarez to be sent down and, honestly, it was the right decision. He need to get as many games behind the plate as possible before sticking and he didn't have a great Spring at the plate either. I was more disappointed in Baty being sent down but I get that, too. He needs more seasoning at 3B and some games in the OF which is probably where he'll need to play with Escobar at 3B. He'll be up sooner rather than later, IMO. Vientos is likely a trade chip so a nice productive stint in the minors would benefit the team, as well.

LFGM!!!

18 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

They said recovery for that injury is typically 8 months so there is a very small chance that he is back for the playoffs but in all reality, yes, he's done for this year.

@Another Fan

This year has flown by and things have snuck up on me. I can't believe that opening day is tomorrow and that the NFL draft is less than a month away. Crazy. Gug, I expected Alvarez to be sent down and, honestly, it was the right decision. He need to get as many games behind the plate as possible before sticking and he didn't have a great Spring at the plate either. I was more disappointed in Baty being sent down but I get that, too. He needs more seasoning at 3B and some games in the OF which is probably where he'll need to play with Escobar at 3B. He'll be up sooner rather than later, IMO. Vientos is likely a trade chip so a nice productive stint in the minors would benefit the team, as well.

LFGM!!!

Based on what he did (didn't) do this spring, I am also glad that he got sent down.  But as far as I can gather, he made great improvements on his defense (his weakness last year), but couldn't hit (his strength last year).  I think he'll get it together in AAA and be a contributor this season.

It's such a "Metsy" thing to do, to continue playing players at a position other than their natural position.  It's plagued the team spanning multiple GMs, coaches and owners, so I don't know what the hell is going on.  I'd really prefer to see Baty at 3rd and not in the outfield.  If they need his bat and Escobar is doing well at 3B, then fine ... I get it.  But man ... it would be nice to finally replace David Wright and Mike Piazza with long term solutions, wouldn't it?!?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Q: Why do you keep banging your head against the wall?

A: Because it feels so good when I stop.

On an entirely different note, teres major is a cut of beef that is similar to filet mignon, but tastier AND cheaper!

• Haha (+1) 1

I mean there was always these kind of risks with his age unfortunately.  

Is that like a Metsy thing to do as well going back to at least George Foster signing guys like that on the down side of their career? 

Edited by Another Fan

Just now, ExWNYer said:

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

I saw the Verlander news earlier but was too depressed to post. 😁 Gary Apple said it's not serious and he'll still be able to throw. We'll see. JV is 40. I hit the trifecta...Bills fan, Sabres fan, & Mets fan. Was I a serial killer or something in a former life??

That joke don’t hold up well imo….  I wanna say the Mets have an outstanding opening day record.  It’s after that when it usually goes to 💩

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

That joke don’t hold up well imo….  I wanna say the Mets have an outstanding opening day record.  It’s after that when it usually goes to 💩

Yup, it's remarkable: https://www.mlb.com/news/opening-day-wins-by-mlb-team-c268497122

LAMP alert, read on at your own discretion.

Had to fact check my memory, but in 1990 I was at one of the losses - and it was brutal. Gooden started and got clobbered by Andy Van Slyke (great player) and the Pirates. It was a full day for me and my friends as we went straight from Shea Stadium to the Nassau Coliseum for an Islanders/Rangers playoff game.  The game went to OT and I remember being so exhausted (two pre-game tailgates in one day) that I just wanted the game to end. Of course it went to double OT so I had to stay awake through the 15 minute intermission and then the Isles won 59 seconds into the second OT. I was more relieved it was over than overjoyed at the win. :)

P.S. - just checked the box score and holy crap that Pirates team was loaded: Bonds, Bonilla, Jay Bell, Wally Backman, Sid Bream, Jose Lind and Mike LaValierre. Leyland was the manager.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, Another Fan said:

Yeah, I'm well aware of their opening day record. I was following them about two decades before you. I still find the clip funny. It's a microcosm of Met fandom.

Not much grinds my gears more than a one-run loss; especially one in which we only score one run. 

Nice effort by Peterson. 

Vogelbach had a lead off double in the 8th that was squandered. 

These are the kind of games that matter late in the season. 

Does anyone here think that calling a ball or strike when a pitch has not been thrown is a good idea? I know it's been less than a week (I don't pay much attention to spring training) but so far I despise the clock. The intent behind it is fine, 4 hour 9 inning games were ridiculous. TBH I'm perfectly fine with a 3 hour game - the giddiness over a 2 1/2 hour game escapes me. MLB and the umpires effed up when they weren't able/willing to control the pace of play without a clock.

On the flip side, the anti-shift rules have been a fart in the wind to me. I'm not a fan of the rule but I haven't had an old man yells at the clouds moment yet.

20 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Does anyone here think that calling a ball or strike when a pitch has not been thrown is a good idea? I know it's been less than a week (I don't pay much attention to spring training) but so far I despise the clock. The intent behind it is fine, 4 hour 9 inning games were ridiculous. TBH I'm perfectly fine with a 3 hour game - the giddiness over a 2 1/2 hour game escapes me. MLB and the umpires effed up when they weren't able/willing to control the pace of play without a clock.

On the flip side, the anti-shift rules have been a fart in the wind to me. I'm not a fan of the rule but I haven't had an old man yells at the clouds moment yet.

I think it's probably the only way to get these pitchers and batters acclimated to the new rules. The best way to drill it into them and keep them honest is to enforce it early on, IMO. I don't like much of what MLB has done to revamp the game but I get why they are doing it and accept it. What choice do I really have? They are targeting a younger demographic to try and hook them and sustain the game's future. They don't care about the people our age because they know we're watching either way and we are not their future revenue stream. I know you guys hate the rule banning the shift but I personally hate the shift itself and think it is garbage. To each his or her own, I guess. That's fine.

WRT the Mets, I know it's early but they have been over-hyped and oversold. The best closer in the game was lost prior to the season, they are relying on a 40 year old starter who was already hurt before the season even started and their other 38 year old 'ace' has looked every bit of his age in his first two starts following a horrible post-season last year. Guillorme is a nice utility player who starts way too much, Escobar is 'meh' again, both of their catchers are light-hitting backups at best, and their DH tandem of Vogelbach and Pham are spare parts thrust into a starting position which calls for power. I fully expect that Baty and Alvarez will be called up at some point this season and I hope they are as advertised because the team did nothing to address the woeful lack of power in the offense. Save for Alonso and Lindor, there is none. And, speaking of Lindor...

His bat finally woke up today...albeit in a loss and he has been stellar in the field...but he has been atrocious at the plate up until now. The starters and pen surrendered 26 runs over a mere 25 innings while getting swept in Milwaukee and the most expensive players Steve Cohen could buy were shutout 10-0 and 9-0 in back-to-back games...the worst in franchise history.

Again, I realize it's early but, other than the 'gimme' opening day win, they have gone 2-4 and looked awful in doing it. I think this is easily Atlanta's division to lose with the Mets and Phillies battling for second and third and hoping for another Wild Card berth. *

*Disclaimer: The bolded is predicated on Batty &/or Alvarez not contributing as expected and no 'meaningful' deadline additions being acquired. If the kids produce &/or help is acquired at the deadline then the Mets may challenge the Braves for the division, if they are still within striking distance by then. It just feels like another 'typical' Mets season in the making rather than a 'historical' one. Time will tell...7 down and 155 to go. LGM