Mets fans?

Another Fan

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Multiple sources saying it's Cano/Diaz for Bruce/Swarzak/Kelenic/Dunn and maybe Gershon. McNeil and Vargas have been mentioned too. 

For some reason I keep thinking of Seinfeld:

Frank: What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, and over 100 RBIs last year. He’s got a rocket for an arm. You don’t know what the hell you’re doin’!

Steinbrenner: Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps’ bat. They kept saying “Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps.”

I'm trying to stay positive, with Diaz being such a stud.  But if McNeil goes, I'll be upset.  I'd rather have McNeil play 3B and bring Alonso up to play 1B if Dom Smith is a bust.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm trying to stay positive, with Diaz being such a stud.  But if McNeil goes, I'll be upset.  I'd rather have McNeil play 3B and bring Alonso up to play 1B if Dom Smith is a bust.

I'm with you. I've been on the fence all along, but I'm leaning towards the negative right now. I really want to keep Kelenic but that looks unlikely.

Losing McNeil would feel like Justin Turner all over again.

If this goes down it will be a defining moment for Van Wagenen - for better or worse. 

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm with you. I've been on the fence all along, but I'm leaning towards the negative right now. I really want to keep Kelenic but that looks unlikely.

Losing McNeil would feel like Justin Turner all over again.

If this goes down it will be a defining moment for Van Wagenen - for better or worse. 

Exactly.

31 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets non-tendered Flores. Starting to feel like there will be significant roster churn. I'm expecting Thor rumors to heat up after the Cano deal gets done.

I will miss Flores. They tendered d'Arnaud, who isn't anyone's answer to anything at catcher.

I think Thor stays now. The Diaz move leads me to believe they're all in on their aces, for better or worse.

Edited by Golden Goat
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not the same team or players I know but back in the day the Yankees traded Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill.  Kelly was the hot prospect at the time and O'Neill was the old crabby veteran.  95% of Yankees fans hated that at the time.

Oh make no mistake about I don't like this Cano deal or whatever else this Van Wagenen fellow may have up his sleeve.  Just trying to look at this somehow optimistically. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Not the same team or players I know but back in the day the Yankees traded Roberto Kelly for Paul O'Neill.  Kelly was the hot prospect at the time and O'Neill was the old crabby veteran.  95% of Yankees fans hated that at the time.

Oh make no mistake about I don't like this Cano deal or whatever else this Van Wagenen fellow may have up his sleeve.  Just trying to look at this somehow optimistically. 

Nice call on Kelly/O'Neill. 

Assuming the deal goes through as currently advertised here's my positives:

- Cano at $12 mill per year is better than Bruce at $14 the next two years.

- Cano at $12 in years 3-5 is less of a boat anchor

- Moving Bruce gives us a better chance of retaining Conforto and Nimmo

- Diaz was the best closer in the game last year and the bullpen got better by dropping back Gsellman and Lugo

That said, I still don't like the deal. Feels like DiPoto suckered VW into it.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

I will miss Flores. They tendered d'Arnaud, who isn't anyone's answer to anything at catcher.

I think Thor stays now. The Diaz move leads me to believe they're all in on their aces, for better or worse.

The writing was on the wall when Wilmer was diagnosed with arthritis in both knees...he loved being a Met.I'll miss him too!

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Mets non-tendered Flores. Starting to feel like there will be significant roster churn. I'm expecting Thor rumors to heat up after the Cano deal gets done.

Gomes to the Nationals.

• Like (+1) 1

After reading this ... https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-non-tender-wilmer-flores/c-301321288 ...

I can see how letting Wilmer go made sense, as well as keeping d'Arnaud.  I'd be shocked if Travis is on the roster by April.  I've come to terms with Cano, but I really hope McNeil stays in NY.  I'm also fine (purely in a baseball business sense) with them trading Syndergaard.  I'll be sad - as I am about Wilma - but I've got this bad feeling that Thor won't be Thor for very long.

A blockbuster trade that gained momentum throughout the week has been completed, as the Seattle Mariners have agreed to deal All-Star closer Edwin Diaz and veteran second baseman Robinson Cano to the New York Mets, according to multiple reports.

In return, the Mariners reportedly will receive veteran right fielder Jay Bruceand several prospects -- right-hander Justin Dunn, a first-rounder in 2016; outfielder Jarred Kelenic, the sixth overall pick in 2018; right-handed reliever Anthony Swarzak and right-hander pitcher Gerson Bautista.

The Mariners also are sending $20 million to New York.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25428130/seattle-mariners-agreed-trade-edwin-diaz-robinson-cano-new-york-mets

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

A blockbuster trade that gained momentum throughout the week has been completed, as the Seattle Mariners have agreed to deal All-Star closer Edwin Diaz and veteran second baseman Robinson Cano to the New York Mets, according to multiple reports.

In return, the Mariners reportedly will receive veteran right fielder Jay Bruceand several prospects -- right-hander Justin Dunn, a first-rounder in 2016; outfielder Jarred Kelenic, the sixth overall pick in 2018; right-handed reliever Anthony Swarzak and right-hander pitcher Gerson Bautista.

The Mariners also are sending $20 million to New York.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25428130/seattle-mariners-agreed-trade-edwin-diaz-robinson-cano-new-york-mets

On Friday there were reports that $60 million was coming the Mets way. $20 mill from the Mariners means we are paying Cano $20 mill per year for the next 5 years. This deal seemed to get worse with each passing day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

On Friday there were reports that $60 million was coming the Mets way. $20 mill from the Mariners means we are paying Cano $20 mill per year for the next 5 years. This deal seemed to get worse with each passing day.

You see who Cano's agent was when he signed that horrible deal with Seattle?

• Like (+1) 2

On a positive note very short term this can provide some pop in the lineup and help for the bullpen.  Two places that really could have used help last season.  Is it fair to hope/assume .270/20/100 for Cano?  Also Bruce got moved along with Sworzak who really struggled at times last year.

Like you guys though I don’t like the deal.  Feels like the farm system and top prospects got destroyed.  Also what happens to McNeil now?  And really how long can you expect Cano to keep up?  Was listening to Evan Roberts yesterday and said Beltre was the only one consistent with production in his late 30s that he remembered.  Craig Biggio for example whose a hall of famer declined gradually in his late 30s with one good year when he was 38.  I’m assuming he was clean as well