Toxic Father In LAw

CommonCents

Man this guy is a pain in the ass, any oppurtunity he gets he tries to undermine me and make our collective life's hell. She gets upset then I deal with it. First it's move closer to us, we actually did. Then she had to get a job closer etc. Then it's oh I don't go to church anymore so I'm not holy enough. On and on we gooooo....I'm sure some folks have better stories and perhaps some mention of how they dealt with it. A happy relationship constantly being strained by someone who isn't a part of it!!!

Tell him to get !@#$ed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like he's angry, needs to keep stirring up **** to keep himself focused, and he self medicates all day long. He needs a doctor to sort himself out. He probably knows he's got a problem (he fits so many spectrums with those 3 points I'm not guessing which problem he has) , but he's not going to be sharing that with you anytime.

Man this guy is a pain in the ass, any oppurtunity he gets he tries to undermine me and make our collective life's hell. She gets upset then I deal with it. First it's move closer to us, we actually did. Then she had to get a job closer etc. Then it's oh I don't go to church anymore so I'm not holy enough. On and on we gooooo....I'm sure some folks have better stories and perhaps some mention of how they dealt with it. A happy relationship constantly being strained by someone who isn't a part of it!!!

You done f--ked up right there, son. You should always move far, far away from anyone who tries to control your life.

Napoleon syndrome, I'm no less than twice his size. It's just a garbage situation, in my only other long term relationship I was worshipped by much more accomplished parents. This guy retired at 50 off some money left from his parents, bought a slum apartment building, can't keep tenants, currently having lead removed I think a lawsuit is pending? Or he paid back rent? I will never get the whole story, don't care. The highlight of his working career was mixing ingredients for shaving cream fragrances at Gillette.

His recent thing is being a born again, this is a guy in his mid 50's who stays high all day while his wife works. What gives...a shovel and a hole coming right up!!

I once dated a girl with a born again father. He had been kicked out of the Catholic church for cheating on / divorcing her mother, which he felt gave him the right to judge everyone else. I'd been going to a Lutheran church since I was a toddler, but he & his wife would constantly badger me about whether or not I was ready to accept Jesus & tell me that I was going to hell if I didn't go to their weird ass church. Good times.

I once dated a girl with a born again father. He had been kicked out of the Catholic church for cheating on / divorcing her mother, which he felt gave him the right to judge everyone else. I'd been going to a Lutheran church since I was a toddler, but he & his wife would constantly badger me about whether or not I was ready to accept Jesus & tell me that I was going to hell if I didn't go to their weird ass church. Good times.

They could kick you out for that? I see people every week at church that I know are having affairs, yet they go to mass every Sunday.

From personal experience it is the divorce not the cheating on which resulted in being kicked out. You are not "kicked out" but refused communion. Cheating can be forgiven in confessional (mafia members and Pat* have been doing it for long time). If you are divorced or many a divorcee you cannot receive communion until the church annuls wedding even if wedding was not done in church. My mother was denied communion because as a widow she married a divorced man.

From personal experience it is the divorce not the cheating on which resulted in being kicked out. You are not "kicked out" but refused communion. Cheating can be forgiven in confessional (mafia members and Pat* have been doing it for long time). If you are divorced or many a divorcee you cannot receive communion until the church annuls wedding even if wedding was not done in church. My mother was denied communion because as a widow she married a divorced man.

Unless of course you pay up and slide the do-re-mi the Church's way and get that annulment. $$$ fixes everything in the eyes of God. He prefers cash. ;-)

Unless of course you pay up and slide the do-re-mi the Church's way and get that annulment. $$$ fixes everything in the eyes of God. He prefers cash. ;-)

I guess that depends on country and diocese. Certainly was not possible in mine and I was ordained Catholic eucharistic minister at one point.

My mother paid nothing when her marriage was annulled.

Really! That is encouraging!

Not prying, but there are probably specific circumstances where this applies.

Closer to being a timeshare - they want you to continue to pay even after being kicked out. Happened for me for timeshare in Hawaii.

Ha! Good one...

Really! That is encouraging!

Not prying, but there are probably specific circumstances where this applies.

Ha! Good one...

All land in Hawaii is leased and this was at Kuhio Banyan (http://www.kuhiobanyanwaikiki.com/). In this case the timeshare was built on land which whose lease up 10-12 years after we bought in. We asked what would happen then and we were told that a special assessment would be determined and anyone wanting to continue would need to pay if they still wanted to keep timeshare. Seemed reasonable. We were happy there for many years and usually took last week of one year and first week of next to create a 2 week vacation. Three years before renewal I made reservations, paid half of annual assessment and then in mid year they sent me a special assessment. I sent a response saying I was not going to pay because I did not intend on continuing post lease renewal and per contract I did not need to. I was told that they determined they needed to assess all owners and would refund money at lease renewal it owners did not wish to continue. They expected us to give them a free loan and then trust they would repay it and I refused. Was told that I could not use my unit unless this was paid but my plane reservations were already paid for. I still refused and then refused to pay 2nd half of maintenance after they told me my reservation was cancelled. I went anyways renting a private place and went to owners meeting (always same day and time) and told other owners and prospective new owners stunt they pulled. I got repeated letters for a few years saying I was still obligated to pay and I sent them a certified letter in normal payment envelope that I disputed charge and please take me to court for my state would not honor such of state claims and if that was done I would counter sue in my state small claims court. They finally gave up on us.

I always thought you had to "buy" annulments and then the Church was cool with things. A couple grand at least?

Used to be $75 where I am, but they've recently took that charge away. You still need to submit paperwork, and be okayed by the diocese though.