Anyone Remember Ames?

Roundybout

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps? My parents got me a table hockey set with them. I remember going to a place to pick it up, but I don't remember if they had their own building or you went to a regular store to redeem them.

Yes, I vaguely remember my mother filling in the S&H book in my early days in Buffalo.

I bought my first Star Wars action figures at an Ames. 1978 at the Ames in Springville. I want to say they cost $1.49 each.

NERD! :nana:

I had a Storm Trooper...

But... Then I grew out of it. I wish I would have saved that and the boxes of football cards (in trash). Now I am just a poor cool guy, not a rich and wise nerd. :wallbash: Yeah, that's debatable. :D

Anyone remember S&H Green Stamps? My parents got me a table hockey set with them. I remember going to a place to pick it up, but I don't remember if they had their own building or you went to a regular store to redeem them.

Yes. But on its way out when I was growing up. Was young.

I think... My parents first "electronic" purchase may have been obtained through them??? Not sure. I still have the item, a GE tube AM/FM tube radio circa around 1962. Still works great, no vacuum tube shot!

It is exactly this radio:

MAHOGANY/CHERRY 1962 GE General Electric T-255 AM FM Tube Radio:

s-l300.jpg

$39.95 on ebay! AM/FM... Has a fine tuning mode. He he...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Are you referring to the old Tops plaza near Reszel Middle School? Was that an Ames before Tops? That had to be before I moved to NT because I don't remember that at all.

Now it's a Dollar General.

Yes, dats da place. I think it folded in the early 80's

NERD! :nana:

I had a Storm Trooper...

But... Then I grew out of it. I wish I would have saved that and the boxes of football cards (in trash). Now I am just a poor cool guy, not a rich and wise nerd. :wallbash: Yeah, that's debatable. :D

around 1988 or 1989 we threw a slew of Star Wars toys away when we moved into our new house and the kid had grown bored with them. A 3 ft tall AT-RT, 3 ft wide Millennium Falcon, TIE Fighters, X-Wings and a slew of figurines.

Who knew 10 years later that stuff would sell for $50 and up!!!!

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I worked at Ames as a teenager. It was a mess of an organization and was a ****ty place to work. I remember once getting a raise from $3.35/hr. to $3.40. The managers there were in a constant state of confused agitation and always treated the employees terribly. I quit on a Sunday so I could go home and watch the Bills on tv.

Tangent: Who remembers Two Guys dept. store? I used to live right by one in Greece, NY in the 70’s.

I remember Ames, Two Guys, Hengerer's, Hens & Kelly, and Twin Fair. Time flies.

Edited by Azalin

Exactly the same for me. I also recall going there several times with my parents. Always seemed to be for an appliance, or vacuum or things of that nature.

Ahh Brand Names memories. Looking back though, it was odd though. I mean we had to fill out a piece of paper of the product we wanted, put it in the box and then have a clerk from behind the counter get the item for us.

Ahh Brand Names memories. Looking back though, it was odd though. I mean we had to fill out a piece of paper of the product we wanted, put it in the box and then have a clerk from behind the counter get the item for us.

I guess, it wouldn't matter how they stocked it. Noboby would be messing with it, no shrink or loss.

Kinda like Amazon is now. Just that online ordering is delivered to your house. Brand Names was ahead of it's time! ;-)

I skimmed this thread, so I apologize if it was already mentioned, but I have memories of Ames from when I was very young. I remember there being complimentary bags of popcorn to help yourself to while shopping. I loved going there as a kid for the popcorn while my Mom was shopping.

I skimmed this thread, so I apologize if it was already mentioned, but I have memories of Ames from when I was very young. I remember there being complimentary bags of popcorn to help yourself to while shopping. I loved going there as a kid for the popcorn while my Mom was shopping.

Lib alert! So this is where it all started... ;-) :-P

Nothing is complimentary to help yourself!

Should have been helping you mutha sling that haul! But, no you are stuffing your face.

J/K... Busting your...

My parents bought their current "nice" china with those about 49 years ago........