United Airlines and leggings: Exactly how stupid is America?

United Airlines under fire for barring teens from flight who were wearing leggings

United Airlines came under fire Sunday after two teenage girls were barred by a gate attendant from boarding a flight from Denver to Minneapolis because they were wearing leggings. The girls, whose ages were not specified, were not allowed onto the morning flight because they were traveling under an employee travel pass that includes a specific dress code, airline spokesman Jonathan Guerin said.
Activist Shannon Watts of Denver tweeted that she witnessed Sunday's events and questioned United's decision to police women's clothing. Watts said the girl's father was allowed to board while wearing shorts and called the airline's policy sexist.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/03/27/united-airlines-under-fire-for-barring-teens-from-flight-who-were-wearing-leggings.html

After Barring Girls for Leggings, United Airlines Defends Decision

United Airlines barred two teenage girls from boarding a flight on Sunday morning and required a child to change into a dress after a gate agent decided the leggings they were wearing were inappropriate. That set off waves of anger on social media, with users criticizing what they called an intrusive, sexist policy, but the airline maintained its support for the gate agent’s decision.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/us/united-airlines-leggings.html

Celebs blast United for 'terrible' dress code

Cue the Twitter outrage from celebrities who deemed that policy sexist, outdated and unfair. (United says that ticketed passengers, however, are allowed to wear leggings on flights.)
Oscar winner Patricia Arquette tweeted at the airline, saying, "This is terrible," and asking, "Do you have a secondary fail safe from a supervisor to make these calls?" United's reply didn't earn them many fans: "Casual attire is allowed as long as it looks neat and is in good taste for the local environment."
Supermodel Chrissy Teigen chimed in, "I have flown united before with literally no pants on. Just a top as a dress. Next time I will wear only jeans and a scarf."
Stars including LeVar Burton and Keegan Allen also tweeted directly to United, complaining that the attire rules are unjust, and Seth Rogen sarcastically tweeted that United is "Cool, right?" because the airline is just "trying to police the attire of the daughters of our employees!"
this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts
i dont give a crap about leggings, but i can certainly understand why a business would want appropriate dress for their employees and family taking advantage of the free flights they get. whether you like it or not, you are representing the company and should follow whatever rules they give you to take advantage of free flights. my brother in law is a commercial pilot and he says everyone knows full well what the requirements are before they board. if you dont like the company's dress code, either dont use that benefit or find another job
and yet, even after all this information came out, we still have ppl losing their minds condemning the company as some kind of sexist monsters. as always, ppl are flying off the handle making all kinds of wild accusations with no accounting for the logic and reason of the situation
do we even have the ability to think for ourselves anymore? do we have any discernment whatsoever? doesnt seem like it. seems like everything is sexist or racist at the drop of a hat, regardless of whatever reasonable policy there is or how valid an observation is. everything else is ignored just so we can mob up and point the finger and make frivolous claims of oppression by the man
the most ridiculous has to be the celebrities 'speaking out'. yeah thats what we need, mega-pampered narcissists telling us how we all should think and react. yeah that will be helpful
when the hell are we going to get over this ridiculous politically correct hyper-sensitivity. everybodys a victim in our current culture. except of course those awful white males

Fake Controversy.

The two girls, who were traveling with a companion, would not have been turned away for wearing leggings had they been paying customers, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said as the airline responded to the backlash.

They were flying on special tickets (employee passes) and with the understanding there were clothing expectations they had to meet to fly.

They didn't meet those expectations so they didn't fly. Their choice.

Fake Controversy.

The two girls, who were traveling with a companion, would not have been turned away for wearing leggings had they been paying customers, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said as the airline responded to the backlash.

They were flying on special tickets (employee passes) and with the understanding there were clothing expectations they had to meet to fly.

This!

Somebody should have got the message to the non-revs... You would think they would know!

With that... The company probably "had" to rush out a Tweet (which is a bigger problem today) than just making sure they getting all facts right first.

"Take your time, do a great job" has met the instantaneous Twitter world.

Talk about where news goes wrong... It's the indignant woman who first makes this go all viral and had half the story. Did she understand that they were non-revenue flyers... They adhere to a higher standard representing the company.

Very

Well... We do have a Prez that is shooting off the Twitter cuff. Monkey see, monkey do.

Come on, snap snap! We have a business to run, story to tell, news to sell!

Welcome to hair trigger America. Home of the free, land of the ADD/ADHD!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

does anybody know the age of the girls who were refused? i seem to recall they were 14 but i cant find the reference right now

im asking bc of this:

There was also the question of why any gate agent saw little girls in leggings as reason enough to keep them from flying.
"I'd be interested in knowing how often they do this for little boys," Watts told the Daily News in an interview.
"little girls". this is another thing that we do, we take young adults and characterize them as little children to play on ppls sympathy. oh those poor fourteen year old little girls, with boobs and possibly camel toes peeking out of those leggings. poor little girls
treyvon martin was old enough to be robbing people, making purple drank, and beating ppl savagely for doing something he didnt like, but was portrayed as a sweet little kid. remember how they used his picture from many years ago to pretend he wasnt a brawny football playing seventeen year old with an anger and behavior problem

does anybody know the age of the girls who were refused? i seem to recall they were 14 but i cant find the reference right now

im asking bc of this:

There was also the question of why any gate agent saw little girls in leggings as reason enough to keep them from flying.

"I'd be interested in knowing how often they do this for little boys," Watts told the Daily News in an interview.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/united-banned-girls-leggings-flight-article-1.3010391

"little girls". this is another thing that we do, we take young adults and characterize them as little children to play on ppls sympathy. oh those poor fourteen year old little girls, with boobs and possibly camel toes peeking out of those leggings. poor little girls

treyvon martin was old enough to be robbing people, making purple drank, and beating ppl savagely for doing something he didnt like, but was portrayed as a sweet little kid. remember how they used his picture from many years ago to pretend he wasnt a brawny football playing seventeen year old with an anger and behavior problem

I read where they were 10 & 11, not 14 or we'd have some posters here asking them out for dates...

BTW, how I read it is another girl had same issue but mother had a dress in carryon and the girl put that on.

Why not just give the girls two blankets and a safety pin.

Even know rules are rules... Sounds to me said gate agent was being an over-officious jerk. Had issue with the non-rev thing and probably decided to play it by the book. Maybe said gate agent had issues with getting her family, friends passes. ???

Who were these children... Pass travellers related to an exec or rank & file labor, or somebody else???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Pretty sure that's against the dress code, too.

I suspect it's a stupid dress code, that forbids leggings. But rules are rules.

Gate agent surely had axe to grind or she would have found a way if she was empathetic to girls being delayed, missing flight. More too it, IMO, why she played it by the book.

honestly i didnt care about the leggings, i was just annoyed as hell by yet again another example of how we as a culture just jump to conclusions and start bashing without ever considering theres another side

united didnt let girls on with leggings? string up the sexist bastards!!! rabble rabble rabble!!!

but pretend you own the company and see how your view changes. its not all that hard, just put that image in your mind of how youd want to portray your business. its entirely reasonable and in fact prudent to list and enforce dress code standards for your employees and their free flying guests - FOR BUSINESS REASONS

i swear, here we are in the twenty-first century and we seem to have gone BACKWARDS in our ability to be discerning. no skill whatsoever as a collective to weigh multiple viewpoints and avoid jumping to wild ass conclusions that dont help at all. its distressing

Edited by Meathead

Fake Controversy.

Yep. My guess is that shorts would have been ok since the father was wearing them. Not sexist.

Gate agent surely had axe to grind or she would have found a way if she was empathetic to girls being delayed, missing flight. More too it, IMO, why she played it by the book.

I have family members who work for air Canada. When I flew standby with them I had to work professional attire.