QB Depth Heading Into The Season

The bills can't draft a QB and sign a Vet its one or the other. TT, Jones, Rookie/vet. No way they keep 4 qbs and thats what you're asking them to do if they draft, and sign a vet

I've got no problem with keeping 4 QBs. Injuries happen. Bad play happens. Competition breeds success.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no problem with keeping 4 QBs. Injuries happen. Bad play happens. Competition breeds success.

A team with no depth at any position and you want to keep 4 qbs when a lot of teams are only carrying 2. absolute terrible idea.

In my opinion this team is still in need of a total overhaul of the QB position. We still have no legit franchise worthy QB prospects. I don't think CJ will become anything but a backup in this league, he might get a shot to start on some team but not this team.

So in short I want the Bills to draft a QB early in 2017 and grab a QB for the practice squad(hopefully kelly). In 2018 draft a QB early to fight our 2017 pick for the starting gig. So in 2018 our practice squad QB would then take over the 3rd slot, Tyrod would be traded or dumped, CJ would also have the same fait. That way starting in 2018 we would have some young depth that could end up being solid franchise worthy QBs for the future all on rookie contracts. In 2020 we would know who the starter is so we could trade one for picks, then grab another young prospect. The process of taking two top talents in back to back drafts is how Carolina got their franchise QB in Cam and NE has proven drafting QBs are great for trade bait when you have a proven starter.

Right now we only have Tyrod Taylor and Cardale Jones. Unless Whaley is a complete idiot, I'm pretty sure he will draft a QB. Im not sure when though. With greater needs at WR & DB, Id be shocked if we go with a QB in the first two rounds. If thats the case we will likely end up with mid level talent for a QB like Davis Webb, Nathan Peterman,Joshua Dobbs or Chad Kelly.

So in logic we'll have a mid level talent starting QB, and 2 very raw and unproven QBs.

What Im trying to get to is where is the veteran back-up QB we can trust if god forbid Tyrod goes down. Sorry but Im not sold on Jones as back-up, there is a reason he lost out on the starting job at Ohio State. A strong arm will only get you so far on the football field.

Anyways, how have we not interviewed guys like Cutler, Kap, RG3 or Keenum? The going rate for back-up QB seems to be around 2 mill per. Im sure we can get 1 of these guys for that if not a little less.

Assuming your guess is right, I think they understand that this year is likely to be a wash even with Tyrod much less without him. We're just not likely to be good this year with this lineup as we try to input new systems.

As for vet backups, we're in salary cap jail. We have $12 mill left, and that's before we pay the draft class their $5 - $7 mill. And the Bills (and most teams) like to carry $5 or $6 mill in space through the season in case we need injury replacements.

Edited by Thurman#1

I can't help but think that the team will sign a vet at some point after the draft but before training camp. Jones is still a year away from being a viable backup option and the team needs a decent option in case Tyrod goes down. Plenty of decent QB's on the market so I wouldn't sweat them not having one just yet. After the draft there will be a decent amount to choose from.