Tomorrow's Vote in the House (vote postponed)

Not looking good for the deal maker Trump

025]http://time.com/4710735/republican-health-care-repeal-bill-obamacare/?xid=homepage

025]Thursday's White House meeting between Trump and Freedom Caucus members looked to be pivotal as to whether the vote could go forward as planned. Trump has played an increasingly central role, repeatedly summoning different groups of lawmakers to the White House, traveling to the Capitol himself, and calling others on the phone to press for "yes" votes.

025]And congressional leaders have increasingly put the onus on the president to close the deal, seemingly seeking to ensure that he takes ownership of the legislation and with it, ownership of defeat if that is the outcome.

025]In a count by The Associated Press, at least 26 Republicans said they opposed the bill, enough to narrowly defeat the measure. The number was in constant flux amid the eleventh-hour lobbying.

025]Including vacancies and expected absentees, the bill would be defeated if 23 Republicans join all Democrats invoting "no."

025]In a show of support for the opponents, the conservative Koch network promised Wednesday night to spend millions of dollars to help House members who vote against the health care bill.

025]

025]Moderates were daunted by projections of 24 million Americans losing coverage in a decade and higher out-of-pocket costs for many low-income and older people, as predicted by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

025]Yet some Republicans were showing irritation at their party's holdouts.

"At some point we have to cowboy up and prove we can govern," said Rep. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D. "Otherwise we're just going to be the 'no' party and some people are OK with that, it appears."

025]

Edited by Tiberius

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't vote or it doesn't pass the Dems still own the abortion. Congrats!

Wishful thinking.

Considering that Trump has already signed a executive order that implies that they won't enforce the Mandate through the IRS for collecting the penalty and the funding that they are going to shift away from the ACA, the Democrats and the media would actually have a legitimate gripe in Republicans "gutting" the law. In order for their version of the law to work, they need the funding and they need the mandate. Plus, lets not forget that the mainstream media throws out all objectivity when it comes to defending Obama and going after Republicans.

There are plenty of reasons why Trump will be a one-term president, if he even lasts until 2020. But a Republican lawmaker says he is trying to save Trump by voting against the White House-backed health care bill. "We're afraid he's a one-term president if this passes,” Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) told CNN’s Kate Bolduan. “We are trying to save him.” Massie also made headlines on Wednesday for saying he's changing his vote on Trumpcare from “no” to “hell no.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thomas-massie-one-term-president_us_58d34d79e4b0b22b0d19d176?

There are plenty of reasons why Trump will be a one-term president, if he even lasts until 2020. But a Republican lawmaker says he is trying to save Trump by voting against the White House-backed health care bill. "We're afraid he's a one-term president if this passes,” Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) told CNN’s Kate Bolduan. “We are trying to save him.” Massie also made headlines on Wednesday for saying he's changing his vote on Trumpcare from “no” to “hell no.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thomas-massie-one-term-president_us_58d34d79e4b0b22b0d19d176?

Interesting!

I wish I knew what Ryan's game is. Why would he push this disaster? Is he evil, stupid or is there a cushy job waiting for him at some Conservative think tank? Does he really think this is good politics too?

Interesting!

I wish I knew what Ryan's game is. Why would he push this disaster? Is he evil, stupid or is there a cushy job waiting for him at some Conservative think tank? Does he really think this is good politics too?

Because if Ryan were to have it his way, the bill along with what they are wanting to do would be much better than the ACA.

Interesting!

He's pushing this one because it's much like the current one. He's no conservative. If he was he would trash Obama's wealth redistribution scam and start from scratch.

Because if Ryan were to have it his way, the bill along with what they are wanting to do would be much better than the ACA.

that doesn't explain this monstrosity and his pushing it. It's literally a disaster for millions of people AND the Republican Party. It makes no sense other than for the tax cut to the wealthy. I just don't get it. I understand they are out on a limb about repealing Obamacare, but trying to push this makes little sense, unless he just st hopes it dies in the Senate and he can say he and the house tried. I guess that's it. We tried...

that doesn't explain this monstrosity and his pushing it. It's literally a disaster for millions of people AND the Republican Party. It makes no sense other than for the tax cut to the wealthy. I just don't get it. I understand they are out on a limb about repealing Obamacare, but trying to push this makes little sense, unless he just st hopes it dies in the Senate and he can say he and the house tried. I guess that's it. We tried...

Yes it does. And you are right, you don't get it. I've tried explaining to you on a number of occasions on the process. First there is the house version of the reconciliation bill, which will be pushed more to the right than the current form. Then it will go to the senate which there it will move more towards covering more people. Then there will be the regulatory portion that will do away with unnecessary regulations and then there would need to be added legislation.

Judging the first draft of the house reconciliation bill as an overall product means one of two things:

A) You don't understand the process

or

B) You are a partisan trying to score poings

Edited by Magox

It's a legislative shell game; they have to replace the ACA in this fiscal year so they can use reconciliation in the Senate and not have to get 60 votes, then they can do the same in the next fiscal year for their proposed tax cuts. They know their proposals will never get 60 votes. So they're pushing a bad bill faster than what they complained the Democrats did, for their ultimate goal of tax cuts for the wealthy while cutting services for everyone else.

"Under the budget resolution passed in January, GOP lawmakers can repeal sections of the Affordable Care Act with a simple majority of 51 votes in the Senate—Republicans have 52 seats—without the threat of a Democratic filibuster. They can do this through a procedure called reconciliation, a legislative process allowing for the repeal of certain pieces of a bill pertaining to the budget that permits only twenty hours of debate under Senate rules.

However, once the current fiscal year expires, Republicans lose that reconciliation directive and have to resubmit for permission at the outset of the next fiscal year.

Reconciliation allows Congress to consider just three items per fiscal year, whether they pertain to one bill or multiple. Those items are spending, revenue and debt limit.

Since the GOP also wants to pass its tax reform agenda using reconciliation, it cannot statutorily do that under this budget blueprint because the two policy measures overlap. Therefore, the administration plans to use the 2018 budget to pass tax reform through reconciliation, according to White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer. It plans to adopt the 2018 budget in May or June, which would mark the first time in the 43-year history of the Congressional budget process that Congress passed two budgets within the same year, according to Forbes.

“The limit they face is they cannot start tax reform reconciliation through the legislative process until the next budget resolution has been through both Houses,” Brian Riedl, former chief economist to Senator Bob Portman (R-OH), told FOX Business. “Tax reform reconciliation is on hold until they finish health care.”

Pushing back the timeline would put pressure on these windows. Not to mention, midterm elections are at the end of 2018, so there is no guarantee Republicans will maintain a majority in Congress through the following year."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/03/22/health-care-domino-why-trumps-tax-cuts-depend-on-obamacare-repeal.html

Yes it does. And you are right, you don't get it. I've tried explaining to you on a number of occasions on the process. First there is the house version of the reconciliation bill, which will be pushed more to the right than the current form. Then it will go to the senate which there it will move more towards covering more people. Then there will be the regulatory portion that will do away with unnecessary regulations and then there would need to be added legislation.

Judging the first draft of the house reconciliation bill as an overall product means one of two things:

A) You don't understand the process

or

B) You are a partisan trying to score poings

oh, I didn't think you believed the three bucket phase thing was serious. I don't. I think it's a joke.

But back to the reconciliation...you think House members will be induced to support Obamacare even lighter than it is now after senate house reconciliation? Seriously??

It's a legislative shell game; they have to replace the ACA in this fiscal year so they can use reconciliation in the Senate and not have to get 60 votes, then they can do the same in the next fiscal year for their proposed tax cuts. They know their proposals will never get 60 votes. So they're pushing a bad bill faster than what they complained the Democrats did, for their ultimate goal of tax cuts for the wealthy while cutting services for everyone else.

"Under the budget resolution passed in January, GOP lawmakers can repeal sections of the Affordable Care Act with a simple majority of 51 votes in the Senate—Republicans have 52 seats—without the threat of a Democratic filibuster. They can do this through a procedure called reconciliation, a legislative process allowing for the repeal of certain pieces of a bill pertaining to the budget that permits only twenty hours of debate under Senate rules.

However, once the current fiscal year expires, Republicans lose that reconciliation directive and have to resubmit for permission at the outset of the next fiscal year.

Reconciliation allows Congress to consider just three items per fiscal year, whether they pertain to one bill or multiple. Those items are spending, revenue and debt limit.

Since the GOP also wants to pass its tax reform agenda using reconciliation, it cannot statutorily do that under this budget blueprint because the two policy measures overlap. Therefore, the administration plans to use the 2018 budget to pass tax reform through reconciliation, according to White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer. It plans to adopt the 2018 budget in May or June, which would mark the first time in the 43-year history of the Congressional budget process that Congress passed two budgets within the same year, according to Forbes.

“The limit they face is they cannot start tax reform reconciliation through the legislative process until the next budget resolution has been through both Houses,” Brian Riedl, former chief economist to Senator Bob Portman (R-OH), told FOX Business. “Tax reform reconciliation is on hold until they finish health care.”

Pushing back the timeline would put pressure on these windows. Not to mention, midterm elections are at the end of 2018, so there is no guarantee Republicans will maintain a majority in Congress through the following year."

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/03/22/health-care-domino-why-trumps-tax-cuts-depend-on-obamacare-repeal.html

Got it!! Thanks

Yes, and if Democrats aren't willing to negotiate in good faith after a reconciliation is/if passed for the legislative proposals to supplement the bill, then they should put the nuclear option on the table for the following year bypassing the parliamentarian to institute their proposed legislation. It's a matter of who is willing to work in good faith and who isn't. That includes Republicans as well, I've made this argument for them as well on a number of occasions.

oh, I didn't think you believed the three bucket phase thing was serious. I don't. I think it's a joke.

Of course you don't, you are a hardcore partisan.

Yes, and if Democrats aren't willing to negotiate in good faith after a reconciliation is/if passed for the legislative proposals to supplement the bill, then they should put the nuclear option on the table for the following year bypassing the parliamentarian to institute their proposed legislation. It's a matter of who is willing to work in good faith and who isn't. That includes Republicans as well, I've made this argument for them as well on a number of occasions.

Of course you don't, you are a hardcore partisan.

You'd have to be pretty partisan to trust the GOP on health care. So...

I'm glad the pro ported health of Americans is political shell game. Thanks Obama

No, it's the Republicans. In spite of what mags says, the GOP is not trying in anyway at all to reform healthcare, they just see this as a tax cut. That's it that's the shell game

It probably will not pass.

But that will hardly be the end of anything, despite what you will read

They'll go back and work on it some more.

Obamacare is a colossal failure, and it cannot be repaired with a few weeks debate and a single vote........ :lol:

No, it's the Republicans. In spite of what mags says, the GOP is not trying in anyway at all to reform healthcare, they just see this as a tax cut. That's it that's the shell game

no. Obama

Just like bush called the recession.

And Clinton caused the terrorist attacks.

Its the last guy. I blame Obama.

The GOP is actually not reforming health care. It was attempted to be reformed by Obama.

It probably will not pass.

But that will hardly be the end of anything, despite what you will read

They'll go back and work on it some more.

Obamacare is a colossal failure, and it cannot be repaired with a few weeks debate and a single vote........ :lol:

Day one baby!!