Jay Cutler for backup?

Previous experience in the system, better passer, good relationship with the staff.

I could honestly see it. He could at least push TT.

TT has had better production, less mistakes and experience with the staff as well. In addition, he is certainly viewed as a better leader.

I think that YOLO is right. Cutler will wait until the music stops on QB musical chairs and see if there is a seat left. He can be a short term option if someone gets hurt. He isn't going anywhere with a shot at a starting job at this point. Someone would have already signed him if that was the case. It is possible that a team misses in the draft and brings him in. The jobs that he could have landed (Buffalo, Denver, Jets, SF, Cleveland, Washington and Chicago) have all filled their openings or plan to in the draft.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TT has had better production, less mistakes and experience with the staff as well. In addition, he is certainly viewed as a better leader.

I think that YOLO is right. Cutler will wait until the music stops on QB musical chairs and see if there is a seat left. He can be a short term option if someone gets hurt. He isn't going anywhere with a shot at a starting job at this point. Someone would have already signed him if that was the case. It is possible that a team misses in the draft and brings him in. The jobs that he could have landed (Buffalo, Denver, Jets, SF, Cleveland, Washington and Chicago) have all filled their openings or plan to in the draft.

TT's experience in the system as a backup running scout team ain't the same as a guy who went to the Pro Bowl running the Kubiak O.

I think Cutty is probably the best backup this team could ask for. If TT misses any significant time and Cardale hasn't shown anything, Cutty is probably the best QB out there who can win games.

What teams? He knows there is questions about Tyrod and this is his best chance to play if Tyrod doesn't step up...and from what is out there, no team wants him as starter right now.

Teams that are contenders that would be interested in Cutler on a reasonable back up contract? Seattle, Denver, Falcons, Giants, and KC. Teams that Cutler can sign with that he may have a shot at starting....Cleveland, Jets, SF, Texans, and Broncos.

TT's experience in the system as a backup running scout team ain't the same as a guy who went to the Pro Bowl running the Kubiak O.

I think Cutty is probably the best backup this team could ask for. If TT misses any significant time and Cardale hasn't shown anything, Cutty is probably the best QB out there who can win games.

I agree on the 2nd part. Cutler went from overrated to underrated. He should go to a contender as a number 2. How about New England if Jimmy G goes? Maybe Seattle or Pittsburgh? He makes sense in a lot of places as that guy.

In terms of the 1st part Dennison came here knowing TT was here. The coaching staff wanted to keep him. He MUST have confidence in TT or he would have said "dump him and sign Cutler."

For the water boy?

I agree on the 2nd part. Cutler went from overrated to underrated. He should go to a contender as a number 2. How about New England if Jimmy G goes? Maybe Seattle or Pittsburgh? He makes sense in a lot of places as that guy.

In terms of the 1st part Dennison came here knowing TT was here. The coaching staff wanted to keep him. He MUST have confidence in TT or he would have said "dump him and sign Cutler."

IMO Cutler went from overrated to an overrated whiner.

Hear me out. Looks like there is limited interest in Cutler. Texans just said they are not interested according to reports (maybe they are waiting for Romo to be cut). Denver seems content with their QB situation. Cleveland going full force for Garrapollo and San Fran in full rebuild mode.

What does this mean? We can get him for reasonable salary. He has history with Dennison as did Tyrod. He will maybe push Tyrod to be better. Big difference with Cutler behind him,then Cardale and a mid-late round pick (which we can still do, practice squad).

Not to mention with Tyrods style of play, an injury is almost inevitable. I think it would be a great move.

OP, you are living up to your screen name.

Don't smoke and post.

Teams that are contenders that would be interested in Cutler on a reasonable back up contract? Seattle, Denver, Falcons, Giants, and KC. Teams that Cutler can sign with that he may have a shot at starting....Cleveland, Jets, SF, Texans, and Broncos.

How long has Cutler been on the market?

That should be a tell tale sign

I'll admit ( knowing full well I'll get blasted for it ), I'm a Jay Cutler fan. I would not be upset to see him in Buffalo. That being said, I think he ends up in Denver or Houston...whichever loses out on Tony Romo ( if you can call it that ).

Edited by rodneykm

Apparently you didn't read the thread. Those teams don't seem interested for him to start and why would you want to sit behind a Eli, Smith, Ryan, Wilson? You'll never see the field. Here he has a shot if Tyrod doesn't progress

I'll admit ( knowing full well I'll get blasted for it ), I'm a Jay Cutler fan. I would not be upset to see him in Buffalo. That being said, I think he ends up in Denver or Houston...whichever loses out on Tony Romo ( if you can call it that ).

Houston doesn't want him according to reports and I can't see him going back to Denver.

There are a lot of people here who are high on Cutler

Pardon the pun.

Not pardoned. Not at all.

But, seriously, why would we want that mopey SOB on the team? So he could sulk his way through the season as he warms the bench and makes everyone around him grumpier? It's not like the guy has been tearing up the league and is just a grump. He's been crapping the bed and a grump. The fact that he has starting experience means zilch when you consider who he is. I understand that he was once considered a franchise QB, but those days are years behind him for a reason.

How long has Cutler been on the market?

That should be a tell tale sign

He might be holding out for a shot at a starting job. As an example, he would have made a lot of sense in Oakland. He (like Kaepernick) isn't on the market because he isn't one of the 90 best QBs in the world. He is on the market because the combination of cost and fit hasn't yet been uncovered.

Cutler is a lockerroom cancer. He has never won anywhere he has been, and he's injury prone. Most of his yards come from garbage time. He couldn't win with Forte, Marshall, Jefferies, and Bennett. I think we'd be better to punt on first down, avoid the locker room distraction, his horrible attitude, lack of passion and with the amount of interceptions he throws the end result would be the same... :P

Circumstances clearly can change.

I don't think Roman disliked TT as his QB week one as much as he did week 8.

Circumstances clearly can change.

I don't think Roman disliked TT as his QB week one as much as he did week 8.

Dennison definitely had a say though. The Bills could have declined TT's option and signed Cutler for less than that. They did not do that. They clearly preferred Tyrod to Cutler (I would assume that the overwhelming majority of the NFL feels the same way). It doesn't mean that Cutler is awful, it just means that he is a lesser player than Taylor today. The numbers certainly support that.

I guess if you're looking for a QB that if he has to play can win games - Cutler could fill that role. If you're looking for an addition to the QB room - Cutler doesn't seem like that guy.

Obviously Cutler isn't a fit for our run heavy - ball control offense but when the starter goes down things change. However outside of Sammy and Clay - we have no real idea if the receivers have the ability to thrive in Cutlers sling it style.

I wouldn't mind Cutler on our team if we don't draft a QB this year. If we do, I'd want Jones to slide into the #2 slot.

No thanks to a heartless mope. As a back-up, he's only going to more of that and no competitive threat to drive Taylor.

Cutler's the kind of guy right now who will be content to hold a clipboard for a few more years after banking some easy pay checks.

I want my back-up QB to at least make the No1 look over his shoulder a li'l bit.