Whaley has done one heck of a job, except QB

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brain surgery would have gone well except the surgeon's Parkinson problems acted up during the procedure.

The doctor did an excellent job amputating my leg. The only problem was that he cut off the wrong leg.

My trip to the Arctic went well except for the minor detail that we ended up in Antarctica.

I had great hopes on this first date with a stunningly beautiful babe who was wearing a revealing outfit. I couldn't hide my boner. When I said hello her response was I want you to know that I am a lesbian.

I got on a plane for a twenty four hour ride to Australia. The person who sat next to me after I was already seated was a four hundred pound fellow who disgustingly stunk like a two week dead deer carcass. He sweated so profusely it was like he was in a rain forest. Other than that it was an enjoyable flight.

I recently had the police break down my door and arrest me on a warrant for murder. I was taken to the holding center where I was repeatedly raped. It was eventually determined that the warrant was for Jose Gonzales, a 5'6'' Hispanic career criminal. I am 6'5" and white as a snow flake. After it was determined that the raiding police made a mistake the DA told me that it was just an innocent mistake that sometimes happens. Other than that I had a good day.

Anyone who thinks that a GM is doing a good job when he not only hasn't acquired a franchise qb but has hardly made an effort to get a franchise qb is using the wrong standard.

Your quick comment on 2013 is a little misleading. I think we drafted 8 players in that draft. All of them made the team. Most - if not all - started at least one game. They all played and contributed.

Kiko was traded for McCoy - a Pro Bowler - who is still on the team. So we got a highly productive Pro Bowler out of that draft.

Though I agree if your general point is Whaley is better at acquiring NFL players from other teams than he is at drafting.

In any case, wasn't 2013 Nix's last draft? As soon as Nix retired, Whaley made some big changes in the personnel department. In other words, it was Nix's scouts putting together Nix's board until he officially retired after that draft. Whaley was not the de facto GM prior to actually getting the title.

None played well enough to warrant a second contract by the team that drafted them. I find that's the best way to evaluate the highest use of your draft picks. It's why Kyle Williams was such a great pick compared to, say Jairus Byrd. We got a 12 year career, most of them at a high level, out of a drafted player. That's the ROI you want on a draft pick. Getting a cheap 4 years then booting them out the door is not the best use of your resources.

McCoy was not drafted. Had we drafted an actual good player in 2013, he would not have been traded for McCoy who was being offered for peanuts.

Whaley is fine at FA, with a few hiccups but nothing egregious. His drafting is horrid.

Whaley in fact was GM in everything but name for 2013. Just because he hadn't overhauled the department doesn't mean he wasn't picking the players.

What's the definition of 'franchise QB'?

Entrenched starter? If so, we have a franchise QB.

Or is it a starter that can carry an otherwise bad team? If so, there's maybe 5 franchise QBs in the league. Which means there's only 5 good GMs in the league.

On paper these last few years, we may have had the most talent on this roster since the Super Bowl teams. Unfortunately we don't have number 12 behind center.

It always comes down to QB. I would draft one this year in first 3 rounds just to have another option if Tyrod doesn't finally step up.

However you are only as good as your QB in this league and if things continue not to workout at that position. Whaley has to go.

Actually, yes. Whaley has done a pretty good job with the roster as a whole. Like many other teams, he hasn't found franchise QB. He's also struggling with getting healthy contributors through the draft (what's up with the scouting?). Finding 'that guy' at the QB position is not an easy task at all. Bridge & fill-ins are a dime a dozen, but a Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, etc, are few and far between. They did the right thing by bringing back TT, he IS our best option right now. Better coaching will only help him take that next step forward.

I think he's got this team headed in the right direction. He just has to keep building on it.

Anyone who thinks that a GM is doing a good job when he not only hasn't acquired a franchise qb but has hardly made an effort to get a franchise qb is using the wrong standard.

Effort to obtain one I can agree with, but if not having a franchise QB is the measure of a GM, the 2/3 of them are failures.

Switch coaching staffs and flip-flop systems every two years or so and try to pick players you won't have to replace because they don't fit the system. I seriously wonder how you get 7/8 wins doing that.

the constant turnover is part of the reason why we're on 17.

Other than the Pegs first attempt, lets hope they and we settle down for a long while

the constant turnover is part of the reason why we're on 17.

Other than the Pegs first attempt, lets hope they and we settle down for a long while

I'd love to see us give a staff more than 2-3 years, even if that means being bad for a while.

Effort to obtain one I can agree with, but if not having a franchise QB is the measure of a GM, the 2/3 of them are failures.

That's the point! Whaley was part of the Nix regime and he has assumed sole responsibility directing the franchise for the past three years. There have been numerous opportunities for him to make a play on a good qb prospect. He lost the opportunities by waiting and being timid.

When your team hasn't had a franchise qb for twenty years (since Kelly) and the GM in his capacity doesn't aggressively pursue solidifying the position that mostly determines success then that person can't be considered to be successful.

What's the definition of 'franchise QB'?

Entrenched starter? If so, we have a franchise QB.

Or is it a starter that can carry an otherwise bad team? If so, there's maybe 5 franchise QBs in the league. Which means there's only 5 good GMs in the league.

Someone who excels at his position.

Someone the team cannot function without.

WRT QB, a guy that can snatch victory from the hands of defeat time and time and time again if or when game gets that bad.

so - yes that means the top 5 in any position. A lot to ask. This may be why I am not a fan of the Franchise Tag.

I'd love to see us give a staff more than 2-3 years, even if that means being bad for a while.

even if

lets hope it gets better much sooner than that.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan