Any way you slice it Kaepernick represents good value

Honestly, I think the 2 main components are disrespecting the flag (and by extension America) and declaring America a racist country. You're always going to invoke the deep resentment of the flag waving patriotic crowd with the former, and a lot more people are sick and damn tired of being called racist. And there is a lot of overlap in those groups.

The young, entitled, half-black, multi-millionaire celebrity whining about being oppressed is always going to turn people off, but guys get away with that all the time. The wholesale slander of the country generally took this to another level. That he dragged it onto the football field hits the fuktard trifecta.

On a slightly different note, I'm all for freedom of speech and I think demanding firings, organizing boycotts, and going after sponsors is grimy. I call it cultural fascism. But this is different. This isn't a guy who posted something on twitter, made a controversial statement in an interview, or got drunk and dropped a slur at a concert. This guy went on the field, in uniform, at game time and did this. Now I still wouldn't threaten to boycott a team that signed him, but I don't blame teams for avoiding him like the plague. He did this to himself.

This country has a deep history of racism against blacks. Slavery, Jim Crow, segregation - how can you argue otherwise??? Unfortunately, police treatment of blacks has long been an instrument of that oppression. While there are complications related to crime incidences and gangs, there has still been enough high profile evidence to call for more analysis and discussion, which is all Kapernick was doing.

Honest, open discussions about race, including silent protests, are an important part of our continued national healing from our dark past.

fwiw, Kaep is a pretty bad QB and that's why he's not signed (like Fitz, Geno, etc...)

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country has a deep history of racism against blacks. Slavery, Jim Crow, segregation - how can you argue otherwise??? Unfortunately, police treatment of blacks has long been an instrument of that oppression. While there are complications related to crime incidences and gangs, there has still been enough high profile evidence to call for more analysis and discussion, which is all Kapernick was doing.

Honest, open discussions about race, including silent protests, are an important part of our continued national healing from our dark past.

fwiw, Kaep is a pretty bad QB and that's why he's not signed (like Fitz, Geno, etc...)

Geno is signed by the Giants?

Where are blacks treated well?

Great question. And just so you know, as much as Boyst wants to lump himself in with you, I know better. Not that you and I see eye to eye. But I know you're not torn from the same cloth as that.

we need a Japanese dude to kneel during prayer for their internment. And Irish and Hispanics. And cis gendered males. And trannies. And handicap. And mentally challenged. And disabled vets. Etc

Our country has a rich history of mistreatment of all walk of life. One is not greater or less than another unless you choose to stand to one side or another. Nine of it was right but to judge today on what was yesterday doesn't work. All that works is an effort and education going forward. Those messages were strong as I grew up and strong in recent generations. Not until '2010ish did the division really become a popular story. The media capitalized onnit, the government did to in an effort to federalize more if this country mostly, and all in all we lost ground because of poor political choices by our previous president and the media glorifying violence against police, communities and all in all promoting violence and hate - whether that was the massie anus in Orlando, Charleston or the massacre in Bowling Green.

Great question. And just so you know, as much as Boyst wants to lump himself in with you, I know better. Not that you and I see eye to eye. But I know you're not torn from the same cloth as that.

dance, dance dance! Twirl for me!

I think its undeniable he should be a backup in the NFL at a minimum (talent wise). The problem is that few teams want the distraction (deserved or not) Kaep would bring as a backup. Its unfortunate in a way. Theres no right or wrong answer in my opinion as to what Kaep did. It was his right to do so. Unfortunately for him its the right of NFL teams to now say "no thanks" we dont need your services.

Edited by bobobonators

Your argument is that past discrimination is proof of current discrimination. No amount of progress will ever change the past even were the roles to reverse. As such, the argument doesn't support the conclusion

If you compare any society to your ideal it will always come up short. The proper comparison is to both the past as well as the rest of the world's civilizations.

There are inherent flaws in any system that has people policing people. It's one thing to work to identify and eliminate those flaws. It is quite another to condemn the society at large because you perceive imperfection.

As to Kaepernick, by grossly overstating his case he has damaged his credibility. He may have drawn attention to the issue, but it's mostly negative attention that has done little to advance his cause but done much to build stronger sentiments against it and him.

You and Boyst should kiss and make up.

Your argument is that past discrimination is proof of current discrimination. No amount of progress will ever change the past even were the roles to reverse. As such, the argument doesn't support the conclusion

If you compare any society to your ideal it will always come up short. The proper comparison is to both the past as well as the rest of the world's civilizations.

There are inherent flaws in any system that has people policing people. It's one thing to work to identify and eliminate those flaws. It is quite another to condemn the society at large because you perceive imperfection.

As to Kaepernick, by grossly overstating his case he has damaged his credibility. He may have drawn attention to the issue, but it's mostly negative attention that has done little to advance his cause but done much to build stronger sentiments against it and him.

You and Boyst should kiss and make up.

The Civil Rights movement was in the '60s-'70s. Until that time schools and other public places were segregated and blacks routinely discriminated, especially in the south. That is not that long ago. Plus it built on centuries of slavery. We cannot undo that level of systemic discrimination in 40 years. It will take many generations.

Now it's unfair to label people racist that were unaffiliated with those policies. But that doesn't mean we all can't, and really should, continue to do something about it. Calling for reforms of police tactics, particularly in this era of increased militarization is a reasonable request.

we need a Japanese dude to kneel during prayer for their internment. And Irish and Hispanics. And cis gendered males. And trannies. And handicap. And mentally challenged. And disabled vets. Etc

Our country has a rich history of mistreatment of all walk of life. One is not greater or less than another unless you choose to stand to one side or another. Nine of it was right but to judge today on what was yesterday doesn't work. All that works is an effort and education going forward. Those messages were strong as I grew up and strong in recent generations. Not until '2010ish did the division really become a popular story. The media capitalized onnit, the government did to in an effort to federalize more if this country mostly, and all in all we lost ground because of poor political choices by our previous president and the media glorifying violence against police, communities and all in all promoting violence and hate - whether that was the massie anus in Orlando, Charleston or the massacre in Bowling Green.

dance, dance dance! Twirl for me!

You can't compare the legacy of centuries of slavery and discrimination of blacks to the Irish immigration experience (of which my great grandparents were a part), or any other immigrant groups. Mistreatment of blacks by the police has been going on for decades. What changed recently was the increased use of smartphones to capture high quality videos of these acts and mass sharing of them on the internet.

The Civil Rights movement was in the '60s-'70s. Until that time schools and other public places were segregated and blacks routinely discriminated, especially in the south. That is not that long ago. Plus it built on centuries of slavery. We cannot undo that level of systemic discrimination in 40 years. It will take many generations.

Now it's unfair to label people racist that were unaffiliated with those policies. But that doesn't mean we all can't, and really should, continue to do something about it. Calling for reforms of police tactics, particularly in this era of increased militarization is a reasonable request.

You can't compare the legacy of centuries of slavery and discrimination of blacks to the Irish immigration experience (of which my great grandparents were a part), or any other immigrant groups. Mistreatment of blacks by the police has been going on for decades. What changed recently was the increased use of smartphones to capture high quality videos of these acts and mass sharing of them on the internet.

why can't I? I don't see one bad as more badder. I see good. Or bad. But I also see what's in the mirror as a social issue.

I remember, class of 2000. We were all told how we are the most diverse and tolerant group out there. How in the years of the 90's strides were made toward equality. Now its not good enough. Racism is bigger than ever. And mentally ill folks wants to take a dookie in the wrong bathroom. And we have more ignorant white people than ever causing all of these problems.

If I was so tired of this poor argument and not just having fun here is attack the CRT BS being brought up and expose the hypocrisy of the arguments here. But its boring and I'd rather be known by everyone for what I am, supposedly caring what 10,000 people I don't know think about me and if they like me. Or respect me. Or care. I guess its some badge of honor to sensitive people that othersmust like them. Weak.

why can't I? I don't see one bad as more badder. I see good. Or bad. But I also see what's in the mirror as a social issue.

I remember, class of 2000. We were all told how we are the most diverse and tolerant group out there. How in the years of the 90's strides were made toward equality. Now its not good enough. Racism is bigger than ever. And mentally ill folks wants to take a dookie in the wrong bathroom. And we have more ignorant white people than ever causing all of these problems.

If I was so tired of this poor argument and not just having fun here is attack the CRT BS being brought up and expose the hypocrisy of the arguments here. But its boring and I'd rather be known by everyone for what I am, supposedly caring what 10,000 people I don't know think about me and if they like me. Or respect me. Or care. I guess its some badge of honor to sensitive people that othersmust like them. Weak.

Wow, you are simply an embarrassment.

On the topic, Kapernick would be a credible backup if they get him at a reasonable price, and would be an upgrade over EJ. If he wants to express his 1st amendment rights, so be it. It's not like he's beat up his girlfriend, done drugs, driven drunk, or abused teammates.

On the topic, Kapernick would be a credible backup if they get him at a reasonable price, and would be an upgrade over EJ. If he wants to express his 1st amendment rights, so be it. It's not like he's beat up his girlfriend, done drugs, driven drunk, or abused teammates.

look who is talking.

This really misses the point in a very obvious way. The argument isn't that he did a bad thing and that makes him so morally bad that he can't be on the team. That would be a very childish argument.

The problem is that he's a walking billboard for beliefs that many people find abhorrent that he unilaterally pushes on the audience IN HIS PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY.

This last line cannot be overstated. There is a world of difference between being an activist on your own time and forcing it on your employer, colleagues, and customers.

Yes, someone who doesn't consider Transgender people "mentally ill", and doesn't claim Obama "isn't a Christian". You're an embarrassment.

I never said Obama isn't christian. And I'm sure a majority of trannies are mentally I'll. Back up your claim. Or shut up

This really misses the point in a very obvious way. The argument isn't that he did a bad thing and that makes him so morally bad that he can't be on the team. That would be a very childish argument.

The problem is that he's a walking billboard for beliefs that many people find abhorrent that he unilaterally pushes on the audience IN HIS PROFESSIONAL CAPACITY.

This last line cannot be overstated. There is a world of difference between being an activist on your own time and forcing it on your employer, colleagues, and customers.

Head cases aren't welcome when they deteriorate.

Manny being Manny isn't funny when he can't put up MVP numbers....

Yes, someone who doesn't consider Transgender people "mentally ill", and doesn't claim Obama "isn't a Christian". You're an embarrassment.

Gender dysphoria is a recognized mental disorder in the DSM V.

Yet another !@#$ing moron who doesn't know what he's talking about.