[Vague Title]We need to every year

The Bills have only drafted a QB in the first 3 rounds twice in the last 10 drafts.

2013 EJ Manuel

2007 Trent Edwards

If you say a QB in the first 2 rounds then only one time this decade.

Expect another year to go by...

Duh Bills..........next years Qbs are better .....ever hear that before ?

I think you have to be smart with your QB picks in the first 3 rounds. IMO You can't just say "we are going to draft a QB with one of our first 3 picks every year". You have to look at each individual draft, and then see how that draft plays out and who is available when you pick. I don't see where it would be that great of an idea to force a QB pick just so you could say you drafted a QB.

You should be getting a player who can contribute right away with 1st - 3rd round picks. If you're using one of those picks on a QB (who may or may not deserve to be picked that high) every single year, your team depth is going to take a big hit. Plus you have to allocate roster spots to all these QBs. By next year the Bills would probably be having to carry 4 QBs (Tyrod, Cardale, QB pick this year & next year's) and then having to cut 1 the following year. How do guys ever get a chance to develop that way? How do you split up reps? Which QB do you give up on before their rookie deal is even over?

I agree the Bills need to take chances on QBs in the draft. But I think you have to let the draft come to you. You can't just force a QB pick no matter what.

I think you have to be smart with your QB picks in the first 3 rounds. IMO You can't just say "we are going to draft a QB with one of our first 3 picks every year". You have to look at each individual draft, and then see how that draft plays out and who is available when you pick. I don't see where it would be that great of an idea to force a QB pick just so you could say you drafted a QB.

You should be getting a player who can contribute right away with 1st - 3rd round picks. If you're using one of those picks on a QB (who may or may not deserve to be picked that high) every single year, your team depth is going to take a big hit. Plus you have to allocate roster spots to all these QBs. By next year the Bills would probably be having to carry 4 QBs (Tyrod, Cardale, QB pick this year & next year's) and then having to cut 1 the following year. How do guys ever get a chance to develop that way? How do you split up reps? Which QB do you give up on before their rookie deal is even over?

I agree the Bills need to take chances on QBs in the draft. But I think you have to let the draft come to you. You can't just force a QB pick no matter what.

Looks to be working wonderfully......Hmnnn

If you don't buy lottery tickets you'll never win. The more you buy the better your chances. Qbs can be found in any round, so don't use that as an excuse. Last I checked it's still the most powerful and important position in all of sports. I'd draft one every single year until the diamond is found. And I might even draft 2 guys certain years. I'd rather fail on a 5th or 6th round QB then draft some random cb or wr who probably won't make the 53 anyway. Great teams keep searching for great qbs.

You know what we need to do? We need to, every month or so, start a new thread about how many draft picks, and in which rounds, we need to devote annually to QB. Does the word "trite" resonate here? Hackneyed, maybe? Cliched, possibly? Vapid... shall I continue?

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Your way we end up with slugs like Blaine Gabbert or Trubiniski every year and other positions suffer.

Like the slugs we have drafted instead ? Think....think. That's why we are always in the play-offs. All these other great picks are getting us there. Really.

Your way we end up with slugs like Blaine Gabbert or Trubiniski every year and other positions suffer.

Or Jameis or Luck or Rogers or Dak or Cousins or Mariota or Carr Or Russ Wilson. Your story is cool too though, we can keep winning w Gilmore and Dareus and Mckelvin.

Like the slugs we have drafted instead ? Think....think. That's why we are always in the play-offs. All these other great picks are getting us there. Really.

The whole "draft one every year until...." argument is goofy.

Name a team that employed this strategy and succeeded. Name a team that has even really tried it when you take rounds 1,2,3 seriously.

Every team that currently has a good QB is NOT a team that employed this strategy. The Jets have been trying it and have several QBs who were unable to supplant Fitz. They are now putting themselves in a position to try it again next year with the first pick. So their strategy gave them 5+ years of crappy results staring at a team with a bunch of nothing at QB who will have to be terrible to get a crack at a good QB.

The whole "draft one every year until...." argument is goofy.

Name a team that employed this strategy and succeeded. Name a team that has even really tried it when you take rounds 1,2,3 seriously.

Every team that currently has a good QB is NOT a team that employed this strategy. The Jets have been trying it and have several QBs who were unable to supplant Fitz. They are now putting themselves in a position to try it again next year with the first pick. So their strategy gave them 5+ years of crappy results staring at a team with a bunch of nothing at QB who will have to be terrible to get a crack at a good QB.

Can`t win if you don't try. Most 2nd round picks have a 50 % chance of being a starter anyway.