Things Taylor did on the field in 2016 that kept him around

Guest NeckBeard

I see that this place really is pretty much BBMB 2.0.

Same lunatic extremists who can't read or find the middle ground.

Too bad.

I've been mainly lurking here, but TBD is way, way better than BBMB ever was; less traffic, better discussions, more voices in the conversations, and yes, simple CoC / good moderators. I'm glad they shut the BBMB down, to be honest, and I hope it never returns.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 11 starters on defense. If the Bills are elite at all the positions you mentioned I assume you think the defense will finish in the top 10 for points and yards this year?

We do tend to overuse the " Elite " term......If we are being totally honest, besides Dareus , Shady and Watkins when healthy, I'm not sure we have truly elite talent on this roster as we speak.....I keep seeing post mentioning Ragland...the guy had a major surgery and has never played a down in the NFL.....let's see how he does vs NFL competition before putting him down as a solid contributor....

Edited by Iron Maiden

We do tend to overuse the " Elite " term......If we are being totally honest, besides Dareus , Shady and Watkins when healthy, I'm not sure we have truly elite talent on this roster as we speak.....I keep seeing post mentioning Ragland...the guy had a major surgery and has never played a down in the NFL.....let's see how he does vs NFL competition before putting him as a solid contributor....

Yes, the 3 you mentioned are the only elite players on the Bills for me with strong consideration for Incognito as a possible 4th.

Edited by jeffismagic

Yes but he rarely threw for over 300 yards and he missed open receivers at times. So he is trash.

Puzzling takes Scott. You caterwauled all offseason stating if we didn't keep Tyrod then we are tanking.

Yet in the other thread you still think we will have a losing season with Tyrod.

trash?

he's far from trash.

pretty ridiculous to say he's trash.

He's pretty terrible. Struggles to make plays even with all eyes on McCoy and TD mike.

Puzzling takes Scott. You caterwauled all offseason stating if we didn't keep Tyrod then we are tanking.

Yet in the other thread you still think we will have a losing season with Tyrod.

He's pretty terrible. Struggles to make plays even with all eyes on McCoy and TD mike.

Caterwauled. Nice.

Yes but he rarely threw for over 300 yards and he missed open receivers at times. So he is trash.

What is extremely funny about you CoTers is TTs/any passing yards are totally irrelevant in discussions about the offense or lack there of a passing game yet you include and hype up all TT rush yards like it is a deciding factor as to why the rush attack was good and why he is good. Either ALL yards count or they don't in evaluating the QB position!

It's really unbelievable how hypocritical the CoT is!

It was sarcasm

sarcasm.gif

oic...gotcha

well, since he was given another shot, even if it was a pay cut, then we have another chance to see if he remains terrible (not that I saw him as terrible yet struggled) or turns the corner and picks up his game? I already know your stance so no need to share your prophecy (again) as it'll be a "wait and see" deal before making any final judgement on him or the team as a whole?

I believe I remember him repeatedly saying that TT would not be back on the original contract and that if they cut the contract he would be back.

Look Crusher and you are on two opposite ends of a line with the truth planted firmly in between.

TT does some good things and many things that he needs to improve. Those things that you and Thurm argue over and over about are prime examples - they are things that the GM, both former HCs and both former OC's said he needed to improve on and he did not.

Now those things matter very little because we have a new staff and a new game plan. What do I expect - I think there are going to be plays where they roll TT out and he makes some plays, but there are also going to be way to many times that he struggles in the pocket.

What I love about the deal is they have created a new lower priced 1 year deal and the ability if TT either improves or his athletic ability is good enough to push the offense they can bring him back for year 2 and work on a new contract. The fact that the contract automatically voids after year 2 means that no matter what this is a 1-2 year plan with the Bills looking to draft or develop for the future.

Look I expected TT to be back and I am not surprised, but I am so glad they got the deal reduced significantly. He is an amazing athlete, but he is not a very good QB. What draws me to that conclusion is what happened after they eliminated Roman - Lynn came on the local radio stations and talked about how he was going to work week after week with TT and find and call plays that TT was comfortable with and what we saw was a change back to a huge percentage of sideline out patterns and comeback/stop routes with little Yards after Catch. Throws that a QB can make because he can see the WR is wide open.

Roman was trying to grow and develop TT - you saw at at the end of 2015 with the patterns and throws after the Bills were eliminated. He was trying to open the offense up and in 2016 the offense did not function against Baltimore and although it produced against NYJ - it was enough that Rex moved on. The route tree and the throws were simplified and TT had some good games and some bad games, but nothing that screams long term starter.

Nice post. I hope Taylor makes a leap forward as his advocates anticipate. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Roman was trying to grow and develop TT - you saw at at the end of 2015 with the patterns and throws after the Bills were eliminated. He was trying to open the offense up and in 2016 the offense did not function against Baltimore and although it produced against NYJ - it was enough that Rex moved on. The route tree and the throws were simplified and TT had some good games and some bad games, but nothing that screams long term starter.

I thought he did open up the offense well in the last game of 2015, the Jets game that most everyone agreed Tyrod played very well in. But the Ravens game was horrible. It's like he dusted off a playbook from 1980 in that game. The Jets game was not much better. The offense moved at a much better pace with Lynn at the helm, just about every statistical measure was better under Lynn than it was under Roman, and that was without Watkins for most of the year. I think Lynn was trying to grow and develop Tyrod, and you see that in the Miami game. Our offense looked VERY different against Miami. I was screaming at the TV wondering why it wasn't like that all year. Deep drops for Tyrod, a pocket with room to move, crossing routes. This is one reason I really wanted Lynn back next year and I still am not fully supportive of the McDermott hire but we will see. Tyrod at least has familiarity with Dennison and some of the returning players.

There are 11 starters on defense. If the Bills are elite at all the positions you mentioned I assume you think the defense will finish in the top 10 for points and yards this year?

Top 10, not top 5...?

Yeah, very doable.

What is extremely funny about you CoTers is TTs/any passing yards are totally irrelevant in discussions about the offense or lack there of a passing game yet you include and hype up all TT rush yards like it is a deciding factor as to why the rush attack was good and why he is good. Either ALL yards count or they don't in evaluating the QB position!

It's really unbelievable how hypocritical the CoT is!

If all yards counted, why do posters in the "TT sucks" camp not bother to give him equal or even significant credit for those rushing yards?

I agree that all yards matter. That's why I talked about all of them in the OP.

If all yards counted, why do posters in the "TT sucks" camp not bother to give him equal or even significant credit for those rushing yards?

When it's brought up he is given credit for rushing yards. It's the CoT that says passing yards or lack thereof are irrelevant, but his rushing yards, well, they really matter and significantly add to the rushing attack. Can't have it both ways dude!

TT lack of passing yards matters and matters a lot. His lack of passing yards is more significant to this team than his addition of rush yards. IMO, of course.

Look I expected TT to be back and I am not surprised, but I am so glad they got the deal reduced significantly. He is an amazing athlete, but he is not a very good QB. What draws me to that conclusion is what happened after they eliminated Roman - Lynn came on the local radio stations and talked about how he was going to work week after week with TT and find and call plays that TT was comfortable with and what we saw was a change back to a huge percentage of sideline out patterns and comeback/stop routes with little Yards after Catch. Throws that a QB can make because he can see the WR is wide open.

Weird.

Maybe we just see what we want to see because what I saw from Lynn was an inclusion of more of your standard shallow and deep crossing patterns over the middle, not less, and I saw Taylor execute those plays with greater efficiency than he did with Roman. Taylor's numbers "over the middle" (via PFF and ESPN) seem to indicate that as well. Oh I saw the comeback and sideline routes, too, but it's interesting that you think those increased rather than decreased with Lynn.