NCAA BB March Madness

boyst

Congrats to the Tarheels, you came out of a heck of a bracket side with the top 8 teams alive after the first weekend. Gonzaga went 0-1 against top 30 teams thru their cupcake conference and spoonfed path to the Final, please try to stop rewarding garbage conferences like this next year...

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, that was fun! Did I say Hicks would turn up big or what?

The refs tried to ruin that game for both teams.

Roy Williams has coached his teams to three titles (and five title games) in 14 seasons, despite being hampered by an academic fraud investigation that nobody can prove was related to men's basketball.

He's a top 5 coach of all time.

Here was my view after the game:

post-159-0-10804700-1491302985_thumb.jpg

Congrats EBall and Ryan Billz! So few of us have experienced a title here, that I know how sweet it is (though not as sweet as the super bowl we all await).

Pretty good game last night. I was just disappointed in the officiating. Both teams were in the bonus 5 minutes into the second half. That said, I did think both teams played really grabby physical defense.

Congrats EBall and Ryan Billz! So few of us have experienced a title here, that I know how sweet it is (though not as sweet as the super bowl we all await).

Pretty good game last night. I was just disappointed in the officiating. Both teams were in the bonus 5 minutes into the second half. That said, I did think both teams played really grabby physical defense.

I view the Tar Heels as my "reward" for suffering through Buffalo sports fandom, and I appreciate every title more than the last. This wasn't close to being the best team the Heels have put out there, but it may have been the mentally toughest, and those kids were easy to root for in this era of one-and-done players.

Roy Williams has coached his teams to three titles (and five title games) in 14 seasons, despite being hampered by an academic fraud investigation that nobody can prove was related to men's basketball.

ground zero.JPG

no he's not. Coach k is barely top 5.

top 5.... I can't go back before Wooden personally...

Wooden

Knight

K

Williams

Dean

(Tark for badness that was always enjoyed)

(Al McGuire for nuttiness that turned into broadcast excellence)

attachicon.gifground zero.JPG

What a view! I didn't go to UNC but my kids did basketball camps there for quite a few summers in a row (6?). I have been known to kill a few hours at Top of the Hill. Love the school and the town.

What a view! I didn't go to UNC but my kids did basketball camps there for quite a few summers in a row (6?). I have been known to kill a few hours at Top of the Hill. Love the school and the town.

We watched the game at Spanky's main bar downstairs, then went upstairs to get some good shots of the crowd. It was crazy.

I view the Tar Heels as my "reward" for suffering through Buffalo sports fandom, and I appreciate every title more than the last. This wasn't close to being the best team the Heels have put out there, but it may have been the mentally toughest, and those kids were easy to root for in this era of one-and-done players.

That is a great point. In the age of one & doners it doesn't seem old Roy has totally bought into that concept. His kids for the most part stick around, or at least the last few year.

I thought the officiating was brutal. It was a physical game but let them play. The officials made it about themselves. Getting Collins knocked out was the key as the other big sucker was ridiculous how many chip shots he was missing. It seemed his whol offensive strategy was to bull rush UNC to the basket. I mean you are a senior, you should have somewhat of a mid range game by now. But playing in the WCC, he probably never needed to develope that part of his game. He will be a horrible pro though imo.

Key jump ball late, UNC player was out of bounds. Ref staring at the play is oblivious.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/849103846697828353/photo/1

Yeah, and they also blatantly missed that Carolina didn't touch an errant 3-pointer that went out of bounds and gave the ball back to the Zags, who immediately made a three.

The refs were horrible all game long -- for BOTH teams. The refs did not decide the outcome, they simply made it into an ugly game. Carolina made the plays at the end when it mattered.

Edited by eball

Key jump ball late, UNC player was out of bounds. Ref staring at the play is oblivious.

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/849103846697828353/photo/1

That is a missed call that is completely forgivable and excusable. Yeah, the ref was close, but he was probably focused on the ball.

What is more irritating was the stream of whistles on ticky-tack screens, and the numerous other touch fouls, which caused the game to be a grinder and for all the good players getting in bad foul trouble. If Collins doesn't foul out on a ridiculous ticky-tack touch, that game probably was much different down the stretch.

hard to complain when we kinda had 4 games that were worthy of championship matchup during the tourney.

This tournament was a bit weird. It lacked the great drama & theater in the first round with no epic buzzer beaters or crazy cinderella stories that the first weekend is so known for. But once the UNC/Kentucky game tipped off(which was the best game of the tournament) it was a terrific ride. That game & the whole final four was very entertaining.