Fishing

Hurricane

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a lock and dam operator in Chicago.

We lock 10s of thousands of pleasure craft (pc, ie: recreational craft) a year... One of the busiest pc locks in nation.

Here is a thread I did up:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165007-life-on-the-lock/#

This year has been a mild winter, have been getting fisherman sporadically all winter @ times between ice cover. We are done for good now. First the duck, goose hunters come until iced over or waterfowl season ends in early January. Yes. This one location that you can hunt in the city limits of Chicago, not a joke either! ;-) And that spot is right above The Lock on Lake Calumet (gr8 bass fishery BTW). Of course hunt and fish Lake Michigan and Indiana waters.

Where I work has really exploded as a prime bass fishery the last 20+ years. Smallies love the "Structure" afforded to them by the industrial complex. Great kept secret! We are a metal structure an a smallie wonderland. Old stereotypes die hard... Not too many people know.

Here is a crew of bassboaters I locked back from upper pool (Lake Michigan) a few years ago:

If you like other outdoors stuff, I have some bald eagle sighting puctures from last week. Not too great of pics, but you can make the bald eagle out high in the tree tops. I gotta learn to back my zoom lens before work on winter days. Time of year bald eagles are roosting here.

I am a lock and dam operator in Chicago.

We lock 10s of thousands of pleasure craft (pc, ie: recreational craft) a year... One of the busiest pc locks in nation.

Here is a thread I did up:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/165007-life-on-the-lock/#

This year has been a mild winter, have been getting fisherman sporadically all winter @ times between ice cover. We are done for good now. First the duck, goose hunters come until iced over or waterfowl season ends in early January. Yes. This one location that you can hunt in the city limits of Chicago, not a joke either! ;-) And that spot is right above The Lock on Lake Calumet (gr8 bass fishery BTW). Of course hunt and fish Lake Michigan and Indiana waters.

Where I work has really exploded as a prime bass fishery the last 20+ years. Smallies love the "Structure" afforded to them by the industrial complex. Great kept secret! We are a metal structure an a smallie wonderland. Old stereotypes die hard... Not too many people know.

Here is a crew of bassboaters I locked back from upper pool (Lake Michigan) a few years ago:

If you like other outdoors stuff, I have some bald eagle sighting puctures from last week. Not too great of pics, but you can make the bald eagle out high in the tree tops. I gotta learn to back my zoom lens before work on winter days. Time of year bald eagles are roosting here.

Thats awesome man!

I love fishing. I was lucky to grow up with a great dad who loved fishing, and always brought me with him when he and his buddies went out. My son recently turned 7, and he really took to fishing last summer. I'm an educator, and I get summers off, so we would go about 3-4 times per week. A lot of small lakes loaded with bass around where I live in central Vermont.

My Father turned 68 this year, and has a spinal condition which will cause him to lose mobility within the next year or so. He told me that the one thing he really wanted to do before that happened was to go on one more trip up to Lac Hebert in Quebec. Amazing Walleye and Northern Pike fishing. We're going in early September with a bunch of friends and relatives. Pretty excited bout that.

I love fishing. I was lucky to grow up with a great dad who loved fishing, and always brought me with him when he and his buddies went out. My son recently turned 7, and he really took to fishing last summer. I'm an educator, and I get summers off, so we would go about 3-4 times per week. A lot of small lakes loaded with bass around where I live in central Vermont.

My Father turned 68 this year, and has a spinal condition which will cause him to lose mobility within the next year or so. He told me that the one thing he really wanted to do before that happened was to go on one more trip up to Lac Hebert in Quebec. Amazing Walleye and Northern Pike fishing. We're going in early September with a bunch of friends and relatives. Pretty excited bout that.

That sounds awesome. I hope you have a great trip.

Does sound awesome... Good memories too..

Lol agree!! Thanks !

I got so much action...I can't keep track of the footage.

But the smallie action all around the structure are out the world! There are some restricted areas too where boats may NOT fish because of valves, dam slucies, shipping, etc... (safety & security)... So the fish populate even more.

The whole structure is not solid concrete monolith. It is built on sheet piling cells, back filled... So there is plenty of structure the smallmouth like to hide in.

Speaking invasives... Round goby that made its way through Seaway are a delish diet for them! Smallies are going bonkers!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/us/27cncgoby.html

I got so much action...I can't keep track of the footage.

But the smallie action all around the structure are out the world! There are some restricted areas too where boats may NOT fish because of valves, dam slucies, shipping, etc... (safety & security)... So the fish populate even more.

The whole structure is not solid concrete monolith. It is built on sheet piling cells, back filled... So there is plenty of structure the smallmouth like to hide in.

Speaking invasives... Round goby that made its way through Seaway are a delish diet for them! Smallies are going bonkers!

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/us/27cncgoby.html

Having Lake Erie and the Niagra River minutes away is a blessing.. Theres days where every Smallie you catch is over 3lbs...

I just sit on a dock and stare at the water. All the fun of fishing, without the frustration or mess.

Even doing that is relaxing...

does this really work? http://www.thefishcall.com/

lol... no clue.. Don't think i will be giving that a try...

Here is a good ecological example of why some areas should to be off limits to fishing... Or at the very least, not worked over so hard when the fish are spawning. Sometimes I try to explain this to other fisherman and they just don't get it. I always get boats that I have to kick out of restricted areas because of safety and security concerns and some will get mad @ me. Areas that are such a gold mine for yanking easy fish out of the water become too great of an attraction to try and avoid, even over one's personal safety! I am going to try this logic on them next:

"Mr. Janssen described a delicate ecological dance between round gobies and smallmouth bass. If a bass moves away from its nest, perhaps after being caught by a fisherman, round gobies will swarm in and devour its eggs. But once surviving eggs hatch, the young bass will begin a lifetime of feasting on gobies."

I used to love Bass fishing. Have not been in 20 years.

Do any trout fishing?

Wife and I are going to a trout Unlimited banquet Saturday.

My Brother is Big in to it. He is a world wide famous Realistic Fly Tyer.

Ill net 70lbs of shrimp by the close of business on Friday. Then spend saturday getting drunk and setting bush hooks for catfish and sell that to my horrible neighbors.

For fun, I try and snag gar fish, bring them to the surface and blow them up with a sawed off 20 gauge. The smell and oil of the gar brings the catfish in from miles away towards the bush hooks.

Grew up bass fishing in Western PA and steelhead in Gowanda, but when I moved south, took it to another level.

Ill net 70lbs of shrimp by the close of business on Friday. Then spend saturday getting drunk and setting bush hooks for catfish and sell that to my horrible neighbors.

For fun, I try and snag gar fish, bring them to the surface and blow them up with a sawed off 20 gauge. The smell and oil of the gar brings the catfish in from miles away towards the bush hooks.

Grew up bass fishing in Western PA and steelhead in Gowanda, but when I moved south, took it to another level.

Longnose or alligator gar?

Be careful... They are actually finding out that alligator gar are an effective weapon against adult size Asian carp. Gar are one of their few natural predators outside of stinking polluted Asia:

http://www.pjstar.com/news/20160804/alligator-gar-as-weapon-against-asian-carp-no-more-than-fish-tale

5%20S16967%20Portrait%20Alligator%20Gar,

Love the name and avatar... Awesome