The rational of prolonging the tyrod decision

What is the rational?

IMO it comes down to a few scenarios

1) Fielding trade opportunities - The longer OBD doesn't make a decision prior to free agency Gives the illusion that the bills will keep tyrod. What does this accomplish.

It entertains trad options from teams that think the bills will keep tyrod, rather than outright releasing him.

2) Waiting for free agency. From my understanding there are a few days between the start of free agency and when tyrod's option kicks in.

This time period allows the bills to look at the FA market before committing to tyrods contract.

3) internal debate - The bills front office has not come to a conclusion on the matter.

IMO these are the only rational scenarios in which the bills would prolong the decision on tyrod.

What are your thoughts?

On a side note I have been drinking, disregard the horrendous grammar

1) Logical. Possible. No downside. Extremely low probability of happening though.

2) Logical. Probable. Little downside except potentially pissing off Taylor. Reasonable probability of happening.

3) Illogical and highly improbable or a sign of horrific organizational dysfunction. This would mean that Pegula and Whaley just hired a HC who strongly disagrees with Whaley about Tyrod and that they didn't work out that difference prior to hire. Whaley knew what he thought of Taylor during last season. There's been no new information since week 15. From that perspective, a reasonable plan is #2 above, look for someone better or someone equivalent and cheaper, but keep Taylor if we can't find that. So is #1, keep him around and try to trade him until close to deadline. But not having a plan and setting your organization up for a disagreement is nothing but bad.

Edited by BarleyNY

The rational?

Well, it's typically any number that can be expressed as the quotient or fraction p/q of two integers, a numerator p and a non-zero denominator q.

:beer::beer::beer:

Is it rational to think they can still restructure his contract, or has that ship sailed?

There’s nothing logical about the Bills picking up the option for Taylor (that cap number's too big for a QB who's bottom third), and since they won’t, there’s nothing logical about thinking Taylor is coming back at a reduced price.

Once the option isn’t picked up, it sends the message that the QB that has started for them for two years, isn’t good enough for the big QB pay. If you did that, as an organization, what exactly are you telling your team? “Yeah…we don’t really believe in our starting QB, but we want you guys to be lead by him”. This is why I think Taylor’s as good as gone.

I think they’ll draft Kelly at some point past the 4th round, probably start Jones in a transitional/rebuilding year, and have an eye on the QB prospects in college this season.

The rationale is you should have added this to one of the other 8 Tyrod threads.

Don't need another one.

This is what these BBMB kids did, they made a thousand threads thinking they all had something original. This site is screwed TBH if you want these new folks to follow the rules.

The rationale is that there is no reason to make a decision before the deadline. Go over every option and wait it out to see what other teams have done with their qb situations. There's a chance a better one plays out

This is what these BBMB kids did, they made a thousand threads thinking they all had something original. This site is screwed TBH if you want these new folks to follow the rules.

It's the result of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality, and so they think their tiresome, rehashed take is Finally the One. They say they don't want to wade through "50 pages" in one thread, while the rest of us don't want to wade through 50 threads with such nuanced topics as:

"CUT TYROD NOW!!!"

"CUT TYROD TOMORROW!1!"

"FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES HERES MY TAEK ON WHY WE SHOULDVE CUT TRYOD YESTERDAY!ELEVENTY!1"

Coaches and the Front Office are fighting behind the scenes.

One group wants to keep him, because he offers the best chance to win now, and the other wants to cut him.

If we keep Taylor, it will show that the Bills are fully behind McDermott. If they cut him, it shows Brandon and Whaley are still in control.

One group wants to keep him, because he offers the best chance to win now, and the other wants to cut him.

If we keep Taylor, it will show that the Bills are fully behind McDermott. If they cut him, it shows Brandon and Whaley are still in control.

In the scenario you painted I hope they keep TT. Otherwise not so much. It's my belief that Whaley pinned the teams failures on Taylor and Ryan so this would make sense. Ryan can't coach my studs!!! Taylor can't hit my wide open WR! Terry we need to get these guys out of here ASAP they are wasting all this talent I assembled!

Or that one side communicated with the other and they collaborated their thoughts and made a group decision.

In the scenario you painted I hope they keep TT. Otherwise not so much. It's my belief that Whaley pinned the teams failures on Taylor and Ryan so this would make sense. Ryan can't coach my studs!!! Taylor can't hit my wide open WR! Terry we need to get these guys out of here ASAP they are wasting all this talent I assembled!

Most definitely. I fully agree that's the narrative that Whaley painted while they watched games together.

McDermott wants to win now, and he knows Taylor gives him the best chance to do that. After watching get fired after less than two seasons, he's got to know that if the results aren't good enough, he'll be shown the door and likely never given another head coaching gig if his teams aren't winning, and his teams aren't going to win much with Jones, a stop gap veteran or a rookie QB from this draft class (they're all projects).

Or that one side communicated with the other and they collaborated their thoughts and made a group decision.

If that was the case the decision would have already been made.

Nothing is going to change over the next 6 days that will sway their decision either way. The fact that they haven't decided to pick up the option or not tells me that the people making the decision haven't come to a consensus.