The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

WELL, YES: Here’s One Way to Stop Cancel Culture — Stop Canceling.

Earlier today a Bloomberg reporter named Ben Penn published one of the more dishonest mainstream media attacks I’ve ever read. It was an extraordinary hit piece on a recent Trump Labor Department appointee named Leif Olson.

To make a long story short, he took Facebook posts that Olson obviously intended as insults and mockery of the alt-right and then cast them as actually anti-Semitic. In doing so, he omitted a segment of the Facebook thread that made the sarcasm and mockery crystal clear. Olson’s targets were Paul Nehlen and Breitbart, not Jews.

To get a full sense of the sheer obvious bad faith of the attack on Olson, I’d urge you to read Michael Brendan Dougherty’s excellent piece on our home page.

All this would be bad enough, but it gets worse. Olson is now out of a job. After Penn’s inquiries, the Department of Labor accepted Olson’s resignation “effective immediately.” An unfair journalistic hit has now cost a capable attorney his job. It’s absurd. Cancel culture has reared its ugly head . . . again.

But wait. Why did he leave? Perhaps there are personal reasons for the resignation that aren’t apparent from any of the public reports. If that’s the case, then we should accept his decision and focus our attention on Penn’s terrible report. But if the Labor Department tossed him overboard on the basis of Penn’s report alone, well then that’s a different situation entirely. Penn has no power over the Labor Department. It could have easily stood by its man, and it would have had a legion of defenders — and not just conservatives.

But Penn is now bragging that he bagged a deregulator. I think if people get him fired in response, that’s only fair. I don’t like tit-for-tat, but it works. An eye for an eye is less likely to leave the whole world blind, than it is to make people be a lot more careful not to put out eyes.

8 hours ago, Koko78 said:

What a shame. Life is just not as fun without idiots like Acosta trying to make themselves the story with over-the-top antics on a daily basis.

...huh?..I see a Pulitzer in his future....as well as Edward R Murrow Award.....top notch.....

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...huh?..I see a Pulitzer in his future....as well as Edward R Murrow Award.....top notch.....

Eh, what the hell. They gave the NY Times Pulitzers for publishing false stories, they might as well give Acosta one too!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Eh, what the hell. They gave the NY Times Pulitzers for publishing false stories, they might as well give Acosta one too!

I say, give Acosta a Purple Heart. But first I get to shoot him to make sure he deserves it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

#JOURNALISM:

Screen-Shot-2019-09-06-at-7.50.20-AM.png

This is absolutely insane.  ADP's numbers were a key element to the market's rise yesterday.

On a sidenote, anyone else having issues seeing and clicking embedded Tweets using Chrome?  

Edited by GG

More related to the above:

Liberals are the aggressors in the culture war (and not always for the worse, as the civil-rights movement demonstrates).

What they object to isn’t so much the government imposing its values on people — heck, they love that.

They see nothing wrong with imposing their views about diet, exercise, sex, race, and the environment on Americans.

What outrages them is resistance or even non-compliance with their agenda.

‘Why are you making such a scene?’ progressives complain. ‘Just do what we want, and there will be no fuss.’”

:w00t:

REPUBLICANS POUNCE:

politico_republicans_pounce_culture_war_

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

More related to the above:

Liberals are the aggressors in the culture war (and not always for the worse, as the civil-rights movement demonstrates).

What they object to isn’t so much the government imposing its values on people — heck, they love that.

They see nothing wrong with imposing their views about diet, exercise, sex, race, and the environment on Americans.

What outrages them is resistance or even non-compliance with their agenda.

‘Why are you making such a scene?’ progressives complain. ‘Just do what we want, and there will be no fuss.’”

:w00t:

REPUBLICANS POUNCE:

politico_republicans_pounce_culture_war_

? The National Review. ?