Trump and Russia

Is it? And our Democratic and Republican leaders that take this serious are dupes or are they in on it?

Some of them are most definitely in on it ( :ph34r: ) and almost all realize it's nothing but political theater and a chance to score points for their party.

Again, the first people to speak up about this -- and the people most in the media and on the Hill cite when they discuss the "evidence" -- are the same people who misled us (either intentionally or through confirmation bias) about WMD. Not the same agencies, not the same newspapers... the same people. You might think their word alone is good enough to trust -- but it wasn't good enough in 2003, so I'm not sure why we should blindly accept their word now without actual evidence that isn't speculative or based on unnamed sources citing unnamed methods.

If you look at the big picture, the 30,000 foot view of recent history, the people of this country willingly gave up their privacy and due process constitutional protections in order to fight the war on terror in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. This was done because the government said it was a necessity to keep us safe in this new paradigm of global terror. The Patriot Act was jammed down the public's throats when we were all still traumatized from the events of that day and it took almost a decade (until 2013 and Snowden's revelations) for most people to realize how much we actually gave up... now, there's no going back. Those protections are gone and people have just moved on to accepting that fact with lame cop outs like, "I don't have anything to hide so why do I care about the government collecting my calls, emails, texts, and metadata?"

I think it's very possible that when we take the big picture view in 2027 and look back to now, we're going to see this moment in time as the one where the government convinced us all to give up our rights to a free press and free speech in the name of fighting "fake news". The government, like Obama was talking about in his final days of his term, will move to establish some form of the ministry of truth while its social media cohorts will actively scrub any and all information from their sites that aren't approved as being "real".

The sad part about this whole Russian "meddling" narrative is it's an extension of the victim mentality that's gripped many in this country. People can't discern between "fake news" and real news because we've been dumbed down as a society. Our political discourse has been weaponized, making compromise and true statesmanship damn near impossible. So the Russians (or CIA) can drop a bunch of "fake news" on the dumbed down population -- we're too distracted consuming and tweeting to be able to exercise even the bare minimum amount of discernment about the accuracy of what we're reading -- and rather than people taking the necessary steps to rectify the problem themselves (becoming more informed citizens) they look to government to do the work for them. To be the arbiter of truth so they can focus instead on whatever digital distraction is the king of that week.

The Russians didn't do that. We did it to ourselves.

Some of them are most definitely in on it ( :ph34r: ) and almost all realize it's nothing but political theater and a chance to score points for their party.

Again, the first people to speak up about this -- and the people most in the media and on the Hill cite when they discuss the "evidence" -- are the same people who misled us (either intentionally or through confirmation bias) about WMD. Not the same agencies, not the same newspapers... the same people. You might think their word alone is good enough to trust -- but it wasn't good enough in 2003, so I'm not sure why we should blindly accept their word now without actual evidence that isn't speculative or based on unnamed sources citing unnamed methods.

First people? Sure/maybe, but many investigative reporters have joined they fray to uncover relevant facts. People have already been fired for this and/or recused themselves. The connections are real enough, lies have been told, we are seeing outright obstruction in many areas and on top of that the FBI is investigating. If it was just FBI or some other intelligence agency, you might have a point, but this is a hydra headed monster at this point.