SI.com Andy Benoit - Bills biggest need is to replace Tyrod

YoloinOhio

Benoit, who studies film of all the NFL games for the MMQB, chose one position as each team's biggest weakness and need to addressthis offseason. Bills = QB. He's studied his film for 2 years. WGR brought him on, and his statement will be familiar to those who especially who look at the all-22 or watch the games live.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/09/2017-nfl-draft-free-agency-team-needs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Wgr clip

http://d3efjls8gnbg8i.cloudfront.net/1628356/118412830/02-13-sports-illustrated-s-andy-benoit-on-the-john-118412830.mp3?rhihttphost=media.wgr550.com

Tyrod analysis starts at 11:17

Beyond what we've been discussing on accuracy and lack of pocket presence, he examines why stats can't capture the most debilitating part of his game, which is leaving plays on the field. This is the most frustrating thing for fans ...as well as I'd imagine coaches and players.

Is this something that can improve in time, with different coaches and system? He indicates there are plays designed to be easy reads that he still does not make. I hope Whaley and mcdermott know whether or not he is capable of seeing the field and just needs development or if this is something he's not going to ever get if he hasn't already.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benoit is one of the best in the business but I think this highlights how difficult of a decision this really is - credible football minds disagree about what Tyrod brings to the table and whether the Bills should keep him.

True. I've seen articles on both sides now and it's hard to know which way is truly best.

I believe when it comes to his contract, Benoit suggested that he's a mid to bottom tier starter and that technically his contract shows that, and isn't that much compared to other starters (20th highest cap hit for 2017). [we have discussed this at length as well as a reason to keep him]. He said though that he thinks they can get comparable play for a fraction of that due to his limitations, and that the coaches were obviously trying to work around these limitations.

This could be a reason that it was not easy to find an OC and McD didn't get his first few choices.

Benoit, who studies film of all the NFL games for the MMQB, chose one position as each team's biggest weakness and need to addressthis offseason. Bills = QB. He's studied his film for 2 years. WGR brought him on, and his statement will be familiar to those who especially who look at the all-22 or watch the games live.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/09/2017-nfl-draft-free-agency-team-needs?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Wgr clip

http://d3efjls8gnbg8i.cloudfront.net/1628356/118412830/02-13-sports-illustrated-s-andy-benoit-on-the-john-118412830.mp3?rhihttphost=media.wgr550.com

Tyrod analysis starts at 11:17

Beyond what we've been discussing on accuracy and lack of pocket presence, he examines why stats can't capture the most debilitating part of his game, which is leaving plays on the field. This is the most frustrating thing for fans ...as well as I'd imagine coaches and players.

Is this something that can improve in time, with different coaches and system? He indicates there are plays designed to be easy reads that he still does not make. I hope Whaley and mcdermott know whether or not he is capable of seeing the field and just needs development or if this is something he's not going to ever get if he hasn't already.

Ryan's staff has never been good with developing QB's. I'd say keep TT as our best option for winning now until somebody beats him out. We've seen this team overspend on much worse.

I know a lot has been said by every "analyst" out there but Benoits comments struck me. I follow him throughout the year. He studies every NFL QB and so he's comparing Tyrod to them, not to previous bills QBs or Cardale Jones or EJ Manuel. That's imperative, IMO. He says he has to concentrate extra hard when watching the Bills, because it's harder to see when plays "aren't" made than when they are, and he knows that will be the case every game. :(

I know a lot has been said by every "analyst" out there but Benoits comments struck me. I follow him throughout the year. He studies every NFL QB and so he's comparing Tyrod to them, not to previous bills QBs or Cardale Jones or EJ Manuel. That's imperative, IMO. He says he has to concentrate extra hard when watching the Bills, because it's harder to see when plays "aren't" made than when they are, and he knows that will be the case every game. :(

He's certainly a lot more astute than the casual fan who chants "QBR!" ad nasueum. But like any reporter who doesn't paint a cheery outlook, prepare for this analysis to get lambasted.

He's certainly a lot more astute than the casual fan who chants "QBR!" ad nasueum. But like any reporter who doesn't paint a cheery outlook, prepare for this analysis to get lambasted.

I am more worried about a frustrated Watkins, Clay and inability to sign any decent WRs in FA because they see a QB who won't see them open, let alone throw them open. I think Whaley and mcdermott are going to keep him because they are scared of the alternative, but I hope they have some onions and do whatever they can to get a QB who can throw on time and see the field. This schedule will not be kind to an offense that can't throw the ball. There are some high octane QBs and offenses even if the defense does improve, the Bills will need at least a more balanced offense to win the majority.

To me, unless they collectively look at Tyrod and conclude that the previous coaches were holding him back and he will be a different QB under this group, starting him again this year would be "same old bills." It kind of reminds me of the Jets sticking with Fitz last year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

"He doesn't have the anticipatory instincts or accuracy to compensate for mediocre throwing velocity."

That pretty much killed any of his other analysis.

Very clear that he hasn't watched nearly as much "film" on Tyrod as some of you defending his take as "coming from a film junky" would suggest.

Lazy analysis.

Watch the Trent Edwards tribute game Tyrod played vs the pats in 15.

I came to the same conclusion as Benoit then.

I get all that. But it also comes down to cost. I don't think that going with McCown is a better choice, and I would worry about Romo's health on top of potential trade costs. The draft is a possible answer but we would have a period between cutting TT and drafting his replacement where we have a gaping hole that may not even get filled by the guy they want. What happens then?

I'm fine with letting TT go, but I'd rather pick up his option until we know we have something better.

Tyrod's velocity is inconsistent. Sometimes it is crazy, and other times very bad. He threw 50 mph at the combine... not good.

One of the things I notice in every game that Benoit didn't mention specifically - his throws are often too high. Can this be corrected?

Edited by YoloinOhio

Tyrod's velocity is inconsistent. Sometimes it is crazy, and other times very bad. He threw 50 mph at the combine... not good.

One of the things I notice in every game that Benoit didn't mention specifically - his throws are often too high. Can this be corrected?

Velocity has not been an issue on tape so you trying to pretend that you've suddenly identified it as a problem now is laughable. :lol:

I can give you dozens of examples of absolute heat that he's thrown on deep balls, outs and even intermediate mid-field routes......and as for anticipatory routes........I guess that doesn't include dropping deep balls into a bucket at a nice clip.

I get it.......the Bills are irrelevant and Benoit wasn't going to put a lot of effort into the analysis.

And btw yoyo.......the "I don't respond to #Badol" posts looks pretty weak when you respond to them without quoting. :flirt::lol:

Here is a comparison to Benoit's assessment of Taylor before the season started -I remembered reading this but forgot who wrote it. I was hoping he would develop... maybe he still can.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/09/06/nfl-buffalo-bills-2016-scouting-report

He was wrong then too. :lol:

Taylor didn't get hurt and scarcely took a hard hit running the ball all season.........and he's a 220# man.......not slight.

You want to see his accuracy outside of the pocket?

Check out the throw at 1:15 left in the 4th quarter of the game in Seattle.........a scorching, perfectly thrown out to Woods on a 3rd and long that kept that game alive.

Or how about the deep ball he dropped into Sammy in the end zone while on the run in the Dolphins game.

Tyrod is not a franchise QB........but he has a big arm, has been durable and played 2016 without his two deep threats from 2015(Watkins and Hogan) for most of the season.

Benoit is just another JAG analyst, IMO and his "Tyrod poor velocity" is just a shot-in-dark take that is not well based...........like his prediction that Tyrod couldn't be asked to run the ball because he's so slight and fearless. He was the top rushing QB in the NFL. :doh::lol:

"He doesn't have the anticipatory instincts or accuracy to compensate for mediocre throwing velocity."

That pretty much killed any of his other analysis.

Very clear that he hasn't watched nearly as much "film" on Tyrod as some of you defending his take as "coming from a film junky" would suggest.

Lazy analysis.

Inconsistent throws all the time. Nice homer take.

Benoit is one of the best in the business but I think this highlights how difficult of a decision this really is - credible football minds disagree about what Tyrod brings to the table and whether the Bills should keep him.

Although there are opposite views on TT on whether to keep him or not there is a major consensus that he is not the long term answer at qb.

I am more worried about a frustrated Watkins, Clay and inability to sign any decent WRs in FA because they see a QB who won't see them open, let alone throw them open. I think Whaley and mcdermott are going to keep him because they are scared of the alternative, but I hope they have some onions and do whatever they can to get a QB who can throw on time and see the field. This schedule will not be kind to an offense that can't throw the ball. There are some high octane QBs and offenses even if the defense does improve, the Bills will need at least a more balanced offense to win the majority.

To me, unless they collectively look at Tyrod and conclude that the previous coaches were holding him back and he will be a different QB under this group, starting him again this year would be "same old bills." It kind of reminds me of the Jets sticking with Fitz last year.

This. Keeping TT actually hurts our chances at keeping Watkins.

Tyrod is not a franchise QB........but he has a big arm, has been durable and played 2016 without his two deep threats from 2015(Watkins and Hogan) for most of the season.

Benoit is just another JAG analyst, IMO and his "Tyrod poor velocity" is just a shot-in-dark take that is not well based...........like his prediction that Tyrod couldn't be asked to run the ball because he's so slight and fearless. He was the top rushing QB in the NFL. :doh::lol:

One could argue that throwing a good deep ball and ball velocity are not mutually exclusive. The ability to place a ball deep does not rely solely on the speed of the football. Sure, you have to have a certain threshold velocity (50 mph is not awful but was the worst of all QBs in the 2011 draft class) to actually get a throw down the field, but a slower velocity may result in the ball taking an extra tenth of a second to get there and giving CBs a little longer to make a play. My bigger grip with TT's velocity is that he will try to gun the ball to wide open people in the flat at times when it's not necessary. Though it's not a benchmark for success it should be noted that most HOF caliber QBs threw in the 58+ range.

Edited by ndirish1978