How will Our Roster Change?

ROONDOGG55

So, obviously we have a 17 year question mark at QB, but what about everything else?

I heard through these blogs that our new OC runs a lot of 3 WR sets and hardly uses a FB. I also heard that he also runs a form of West Coast offense that incorporates a lot of short passes. Not sure how much of this is true, but how do you all see our offense changing in terms of personnel?

As for the defensive side, obviously we will transition back to a 4-3, but will we see any changes to our front seven or secondary? Based off of what you all have shared and my general knowledge of McDermott and Frazier's' defense, they rely heavily on the front four to create pressure much like Schwartz's scheme. The only difference that I see is that our new scheme likes CBs with more length and range. So with that being said, will we see a lot of change on the defensive side as well?

Lastly, I am no expert on any of these guys and their schemes so feel free to educate and critique as much as you'd like.

Stealth Qb thread? :lol:

Changes I think are coming:

2 Safeties (one free agent - one draft)

One corner to replace Gilmore either this year or next. Seymour might start but they will bring another guy in regardless.

Ragland @ Mike.

3rd receiver (possibly second and third)

Right tackle (possibly center and right tackle and possibly right guard)

kicker

Stealth Qb thread? :lol:

Changes I think are coming:

2 Safeties (one free agent - one draft)

One corner to replace Gilmore either this year or next. Seymour might start but they will bring another guy in regardless.

Ragland @ Mike.

3rd receiver (possibly second and third)

Right tackle (possibly center and right tackle and possibly right guard)

kicker

Ragland will be strong side olb

The positions I think we will have new starters in 2017:

Offense

- Right Tackle

- #2 receiver

- #3 / slot receiver

Defense

- MLB

- SLB (this is where I see Ragland)

- Strong safety

Special Teams

- Kicker

- Punter

- Returner

- Gunner

At this point I think they are going to stick with Tyrod, franchise Gilmore and bring back Zach Brown

Edited by GunnerBill

Ragland will be strong side olb

Defense

- MLB

- Strong safety

Why is that? He wasn't drafted to play MLB? Or because he will be first year starting player? Or skill set probably won't allow it in McDermott defense?

Edited by PolishDave

What 3 do you see at which spots then?

Personally I think Zach is almost the perfect weak side 'backer in McDermott's D. I think Ragland is a pretty solid strong side 1st and 2nd down option. I don't see a natural "mike" for McDermott's scheme on this roster. I don't know how they rectify that. Maybe they stick with Preston, maybe they try Preston SLB and Rags MLB.... I would not be surprised if our MLB is not yet on the roster.

Why is that? He wasn't drafted to play MLB? Or because he will be first year starting player? Or skill set probably won't allow it in McDermott defense?

skillset matched with the role in smd's defense. He will be Shaq Thompson/aj Klein (who is a fa and I expect us to look at)

He would not fit due to inability to go up and down the field. Keuchly struggled to do this at many times early on and yes a little wee bit better than Ragland.

What 3 do you see at which spots then?

will hopefully can be Zach brown

Mlb Preston brown for now

Sam Ragland

Lorax could play mlb in passing situations and backup will

Personally I think Zach is almost the perfect weak side 'backer in McDermott's D. I think Ragland is a pretty solid strong side 1st and 2nd down option. I don't see a natural "mike" for McDermott's scheme on this roster. I don't know how they rectify that. Maybe they stick with Preston, maybe they try Preston SLB and Rags MLB.... I would not be surprised if our MLB is not yet on the roster.

skillset matched with the role in smd's defense. He will be Shaq Thompson/aj Klein (who is a fa and I expect us to look at)

He would not fit due to inability to go up and down the field. Keuchly struggled to do this at many times early on and yes a little wee bit better than Ragland.

will hopefully can be Zach brown

Mlb Preston brown for now

Sam Ragland

Lorax could play mlb in passing situations and backup will

Isn't Preston Brown likely to be a horrible fit for McDermott's defense at MLB? I would think teams would throw against him with regularity and with great success kind of like how bad the Patriots carve him up. Wouldn't this be even more likely to happen if he is expected to cover more space?

Isn't Preston Brown likely to be a horrible fit for McDermott's defense at MLB? I would think teams would throw against him with regularity and with great success kind of like how bad the Patriots carve him up. Wouldn't this be even more likely to happen if he is expected to cover more space?

we don't have a choice. Bradham would have been better at mike.

Hence me saying I don't see the answer on the roster. I'm not convinced he is a great fit at sam either. I think he is more likely the odd man out than Ragland if I am honest.

Hence me saying I don't see the answer on the roster. I'm not convinced he is a great fit at sam either. I think he is more likely the odd man out than Ragland if I am honest.

I would do my best to trade Preston brown. I'd look at backup safety, comprable to browns value. There are going to be safeties with skill available due to scheme changes and we need veteran insurance behind a-aron.

I would do my best to trade Preston brown. I'd look at backup safety, comprable to browns value. There are going to be safeties with skill available due to scheme changes and we need veteran insurance behind a-aron.

That is a sensible suggestion. I think they'd probably do it post-draft though dependant on whether they have managed to find an MLB in the draft.

The positions I think we will have new starters in 2017:

Offense

- Right Tackle

- #2 receiver

- #3 / slot receiver

Defense

- MLB

- Strong safety

Special Teams

- Kicker

- Punter

- Returner

- Gunner

At this point I think they are going to stick with Tyrod, franchise Gilmore and bring back Zach Brown

This seems reasonable at first blush.

And I like this thread. The dramatic changes to our coaching staff rightly made the headlines, but the success of our 2017 season will also hinge greatly on the changes to the roster.

Who are our D linemen?

Not exactly an impressive group.

K.Williams, is he coming back for year 12 and is he effective?

What do they get out of Dareus?

Where does our rush come from?

Hughes

Kyle

Dareus

Lawson

Kyle will be fine.

Dareus will be fine as long as he doesn't get suspended.

In fact I think that Kyle and Dareus will be excellent not just fine as they have been for the most part.

Hughes will be fine rushing the passer.

Lawson is a ? but at least he is a young ?

I think Lawson is the biggest question. Otherwise the line is fine unless one of the other 3 takes a big step backward for one reason or another.