Bills have 2 days to trade TT/No cap hit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel free to work out the numbers yourself and show me what you got.

I did already......but I will try again.

You have somehow calculated the max value of his deal from 2017-2021(5 seasons) at $102.5M.

But according to the Sportrac data you linked the max value of the deal was only $90M..........and that was INCLUDING bonus money added to his $2.5M 2016 base salary.

So the remaining total value to be spread out over 5 years is therefore approximately $85M.

The mistake appears to be that you are counting the option bonuses TWICE.

Once the deal is activated those "option bonuses" become a signing bonus... triggering the deal........hence the big jump in cash outlay in 2017.

But you are then adding each option bonus back into his base salary AGAIN each season.

That's not the case..........they would have already been paid........they just show up "annually" on sportrac because that is how they would be amortized.

I can not quite figure out how someone can think this is "new" news, and not even put the term"Tyrod Trade" in the search box.

I believe this has been discussed on here since mid October, maybe early November at the latest. Sorry to be cranky so early..bad emails this morning

why does it matter if your checked the search button? Your that important?

I did already......but I will try again.

You have somehow calculated the max value of his deal from 2017-2021(5 seasons) at $102.5M.

But according to the Sportrac data you linked the max value of the deal was only $90M..........and that was INCLUDING bonus money added to his $2.5M 2016 base salary.

So the remaining total value to be spread out over 5 years is therefore approximately $85M.

The mistake appears to be that you are counting the option bonuses TWICE.

Once the deal is activated those "option bonuses" become a signing bonus... triggering the deal........hence the big jump in cash outlay in 2017.

But you are then adding each option bonus back into his base salary AGAIN each season.

That's not the case..........they would have already been paid........they just show up "annually" on sportrac because that is how they would be amortized.

None of that is true. To use your parlance, YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SUCKS, BRO! I stated clearly that I posted the figures for how his salary would average on a yearly basis depending upon how many years he would remain a Bill under that deal. That post was in response the the assertion that his extension was for an average salary of $15M. I was pointing out that the $15M average was low regardless how long he would play under that deal and that it could be substantially more if he was very short term. Here's the breakdown with the math.

If Taylor was kept through the 2017 season he'd cost $30.75M ($15.5M Option Bonus + $12M base salary + $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017).

If he was kept through the 2018 season his average salary would be $20.25M ($30.75M + remaining $9.75M of 2018 salary which guarantees on 3rd league day of 2018 season = $40.5M total. $40.5M/2 = $20.25M)

If he's kept through 2019 his average salary would be $18.0M ($40.5M + $13.6M = $54.1M total. $54.1M/3=$18.0M)

Kept through 2020 his ave salary would be $17.0M ($54.1M + $13.85M = $67.95M. $67.95M/4=$17M)

Kept through 2021 his ave salary would be $16.5M ($67.95M + $14.55 = $82.5M. $82.5M/5=$16.5M)

Hopefully this is obvious enough for you.

None of that is true. To use your parlance, YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SUCKS, BRO! I stated clearly that I posted the figures for how his salary would average on a yearly basis depending upon how many years he would remain a Bill under that deal. That post was in response the the assertion that his extension was for an average salary of $15M. I was pointing out that the $15M average was low regardless how long he would play under that deal and that it could be substantially more if he was very short term. Here's the breakdown with the math.

If Taylor was kept through the 2017 season he'd cost $30.75M ($15.5M Option Bonus + $12M base salary + $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017).

If he was kept through the 2018 season his average salary would be $20.25M ($30.75M + remaining $9.75M of 2018 salary which guarantees on 3rd league day of 2018 season = $40.5M total. $40.5M/2 = $20.25M)

If he's kept through 2019 his average salary would be $18.0M ($40.5M + $13.6M = $54.1M total. $54.1M/3=$18.0M)

Kept through 2020 his ave salary would be $17.0M ($54.1M + $13.85M = $67.95M. $67.95M/4=$17M)

Kept through 2021 his ave salary would be $16.5M ($67.95M + $14.55 = $82.5M. $82.5M/5=$16.5M)

Hopefully this is obvious enough for you.

NOW you are making some sense.

The "what's it gonna' cost" to cut him per year take is fine but the reality is that whatever season he is cut after........dead money will roll into the following year.

So if he loses his starting job in 2018 and is cut in the offseason.........approx $10M of that $40M total gets rolled into the 2019 cap figure.

Worrying about $10M in wasted, dead cap space on a projected $200M+ 2019 cap is a small price to pay for putting the best QB you have on the field for approx $15M per year in cap space in the combined 2017/2018 seasons.

NOW you are making some sense.

The "what's it gonna' cost" to cut him per year take is fine but the reality is that whatever season he is cut after........dead money will roll into the following year.

So if he loses his starting job in 2018 and is cut in the offseason.........approx $10M of that $40M total gets rolled into the 2019 cap figure.

Worrying about $10M in wasted, dead cap space on a projected $200M+ 2019 cap is a small price to pay for putting the best QB you have on the field for approx $15M per year in cap space in the combined 2017/2018 seasons.

It's exactly what I've been saying all along. I didn't get into how the cap dollars could be distributed since that was so complex. There are so many different ways to change the cap hit allocations - restructuring salary to bonus, timing of cut, post June 1st designation, etc. - that it would've been a nightmare to work out. But every dollar paid to Taylor must eventually be accounted for in used cap space. Just because some can be kicked down the road doesn't meant they aren't wasted if they are unwisely spent. The main takeaway of my breakdown was to show that the shorter period of time Taylor would be in Buffalo as a starter, the more expensive he'd be. He just doesn't make any sense under the current deal unless you want him long term. I do get that he's probably the best short term starter the Bills have a real option to line up at QB in 2018, but he's just not good enough to want much beyond that. To saddle the team with his extension just doesn't make sense to me. Giving him that extension and immediately undermining him by taking his eventual replacement at pick 10 doesn't make sense to me either. It's time to move on. Get a bridge QB for a season and focus finding the long term guy because Taylor isn't it.

I could actually see Cleveland trading for Taylor if New England's price for Garrapolo is too high. If Bills cut him, Cleveland will have a tough time signing him and might have to pay him more than his current contract. They are awash in draft picks. Makes some sense.

Zero chance Cleveland takes on Tyrod's contract.

Zero chance Cleveland takes on Tyrod's contract.

You think any QB with a choice is going to Cleveland without getting overpaid? Even if they trade a couple of high draft picks for garropolo, they aren't doing that unless he signs a long term deal and like they would with a free agent would have to overpay him.