Perils of Vanity - When Coaches Refuse to Run out the Clock

YoloinOhio

A fun read - I was on either side of the first two as a fan- The Comeback and that stupid OSU-Nebraska game. Then the SB happened. It's mind boggling what these OCs do.

Kyle Shanahan, Kevin Gilbride and Jim Bollman are calling plays with a 78-point lead.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/02/79952/the-perils-of-vanity-super-bowl-li-atlanta-falcons-new-england-patriots

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanity is the right word. It was Kyle Shanahan's ego. But when they got onto the Pats 22/23 yard line 1st and 10 knowing a FG all but seals it Dan Quinn should have been on the headset saying "Kyle, run it three times please and finish on Bryant's preferred hash."

That they so royally cocked it up is mindblowing.

Vanity is the right word. It was Kyle Shanahan's ego. But when they got onto the Pats 22/23 yard line 1st and 10 knowing a FG all but seals it Dan Quinn should have been on the headset saying "Kyle, run it three times please and finish on Bryant's preferred hash."

Im not even sure Quinn didn't do that, or if Kyle would have listened to him. Kyle was known for ignoring Pettine during games in Cleveland and doing what he wanted. This clip is funny (though he was right I guess). Aka "The Look"

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Dkjb-QAcu8

Edited by YoloinOhio

Perhaps their approach was that they were being aggressive by still attacking and not being conservative and playing for the FG. Yes, it backfired but there's likely a better reason than vanity.

A fun read - I was on either side of the first two as a fan- The Comeback and that stupid OSU-Nebraska game. Then the SB happened. It's mind boggling what these OCs do.

Kyle Shanahan, Kevin Gilbride and Jim Bollman are calling plays with a 78-point lead.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/02/79952/the-perils-of-vanity-super-bowl-li-atlanta-falcons-new-england-patriots

Listen to Mike Schopp talking football and he'd tell you that doing what Atlanta did is the only way to go.

"Throw it on every play.... running is a waste of time." I didn't listen on Monday was he still saying that?

He dialed it back in the face of what happened to the Falcons. He sheepishly admitted "there's a line." Duhhhh. no s**t, Mike.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybe arrogance or vanity is what causes head coaches and offensive coordinators to become mentally crippled when they play New England in the super bowl. Two years ago Pete Carroll had a brain cramp when he chose to pass at the 1 yard line instead of pound it in with Marshawn. The Patriots have an air about them that causes opponents to make stupid decisions.

On one hand the Cheats were lucky.... on the other Atlanta was really stupid.... defenses practice the prevent D ... maybe offenses should take a page and practice the prevent O...

of of the reasons that Bill Cower almost never lost when leading going into the 4th quarter. He would NEVER pass the ball, even if the other team came back.

I have been hearing how the pats have been lucky of years, lets face it they are lucky and, really good, and smarter then everyone else.

They are really lucky. First and foremost. And they are good enough to capitalize on other teams blatant stupidity. The last two SB's should have been won by the other team if not for totally horrendous coaching. The Falcon's game was really bad. And then the idiots (Falcons) fire their DC and DL coach.

Perhaps their approach was that they were being aggressive by still attacking and not being conservative and playing for the FG. Yes, it backfired but there's likely a better reason than vanity.

I think I'm one of the few people who had no problem with the play call. IMO opinion the problem was taking the sack. Everyone is taking for granted that they make the FG. If they miss the FG are all the second guessers going to say they should have been aggressive...hadn't they already over the ball from deep in their own territory?

stupidity if not vanity.

I think I'm one of the few people who had no problem with the play call. IMO opinion the problem was taking the sack. Everyone is taking for granted that they make the FG. If they miss the FG are all the second guessers going to say they should have been aggressive...hadn't they already over the ball from deep in their own territory?

I had a problem not only with that call, but the call on 2nd and 1 (running Coleman in the middle instead of Freeman) and then on 3rd and 1 (passing, fumble) rather than running Freeman. It's a no-brainer. If you have the better back and your center is playing on a broken leg, run it or at least a safe screen play to Freeman--who is built like a tank.

Not to let Kevin Kill Drive off the hook for the Houston game but that team was never built to take time off the clock. They didn't even have a tight end on the roster back then! That being said the Bills still ran far more running plays than Houston even when they were way behind. That tells you something about play calling. The only time Gilbride ever seemed to be solid on play calling was when his HC was Tom Coughlin who kept him on a leash and stayed true to their ground game when they needed it.

stupidity if not vanity.

I had a problem not only with that call, but the call on 2nd and 1 (running Coleman in the middle instead of Freeman) and then on 3rd and 1 (passing, fumble) rather than running Freeman. It's a no-brainer. If you have the better back and your center is playing on a broken leg, run it or at least a safe screen play to Freeman--who is built like a tank.

I hear ya, and I totally get that running three times was the safe move. Kind of like how the prevent D is often considered the safe move.

But they have a top flight offense and if they don't take the sack, run it into the line and hit the FG all is well. To me the problem was not executing (i.e. - taking the sack).