Let's Talk Race Issues

Meathead

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that middle lane will get you every time. nice to see chase elliot doing well though, i really liked his daddy.

they're stacking up for a big wreck though, they're staying packed. these restrictor plate racse are dangerous.

and this new stages part of the race is just as stupid as can !@#$ign be.

Georgia couple gets prison for racist threats at child's birthday party

(CNN)A Georgia couple who rode with a Confederate flag-waving group that made armed threats against African-Americans at a child's birthday party were sentenced to prison Monday.
Jose "Joe" Torres, was sentenced to 20 years, with 13 years in prison, after a jury convicted him on three counts of aggravated assault, one count of making terroristic threats and one count of violating of Georgia's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act.
Kayla Norton was sentenced to 15 years, with six years in prison. She was convicted on one count of making terroristic threats and one count of violation of the Street Gang Act.
On July 25, 2015, Torres and Norton, joined about a dozen other people in a convoy of pickup trucks waving large Confederate flags as they drove around Douglas County, a suburban Atlanta community. Most of them belonged to a group called "Respect the Flag."
"The convoy of trucks passed by the victim's residence where the victims were grilling hot dogs and hamburgers while hosting a child's birthday party featuring a bouncy castle, snow-cone machines, and a DJ," the district attorney's office posted on its official Facebook page.
The drivers parked the trucks near the house, prosecutors said. Torres was part of a smaller group that "threatened to kill the party goers while repeatedly using derogatory racial slurs against them," said the statement.
"Torres, who had retrieved a shotgun from his vehicle, pointed his shotgun at the group of African American party-goers and stated he was going to kill them while his co-defendants stated that 'the little ones can get one too,' referring to the young children at the party," the statement said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/us/georgia-couple-confederate-flags-threats/

ok, first of all its great that scum like this gets punished for this kind of behavior. no question

but twenty years, with thirteen years in prison? really?? seems highly excessive for an incident where no shots were fired, nobody was hurt at all. many violent crime convictions where ppl were actually badly hurt are often far less than that

do we have any real lawyers in the house? how do they justify that kind of sentence? seems pretty easily out of line with the offense, as bad as it was

btw, what does twenty year with thirteen in prison mean? whats the extra seven years for, how does it get served?

do we have any real lawyers in the house? how do they justify that kind of sentence? seems pretty easily out of line with the offense, as bad as it was

Under Georgia law, aggravated assault carries a maximum 20 year sentence, making terroristic threats a maximum 5 year sentence, and violating the Street Gang Act 5-15 years. So it seems light...he could have gotten as much as 80 years, and he's lucky he doesn't have a federal hate crime charge tacked on to it, plus an extra 60 for aggravated assault against minors.

I'd wager he got a year for each count of aggravated assault, five for terroristic threats, and 5 for violating the Street Gang Act. Don't know what the other seven years are. Georgia law's apparently a little odd.

Georgia couple gets prison for racist threats at child's birthday party

(CNN)A Georgia couple who rode with a Confederate flag-waving group that made armed threats against African-Americans at a child's birthday party were sentenced to prison Monday.

Jose "Joe" Torres, was sentenced to 20 years, with 13 years in prison, after a jury convicted him on three counts of aggravated assault, one count of making terroristic threats and one count of violating of Georgia's Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act.

Kayla Norton was sentenced to 15 years, with six years in prison. She was convicted on one count of making terroristic threats and one count of violation of the Street Gang Act.

On July 25, 2015, Torres and Norton, joined about a dozen other people in a convoy of pickup trucks waving large Confederate flags as they drove around Douglas County, a suburban Atlanta community. Most of them belonged to a group called "Respect the Flag."

"The convoy of trucks passed by the victim's residence where the victims were grilling hot dogs and hamburgers while hosting a child's birthday party featuring a bouncy castle, snow-cone machines, and a DJ," the district attorney's office posted on its official Facebook page.

The drivers parked the trucks near the house, prosecutors said. Torres was part of a smaller group that "threatened to kill the party goers while repeatedly using derogatory racial slurs against them," said the statement.

"Torres, who had retrieved a shotgun from his vehicle, pointed his shotgun at the group of African American party-goers and stated he was going to kill them while his co-defendants stated that 'the little ones can get one too,' referring to the young children at the party," the statement said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/us/georgia-couple-confederate-flags-threats/

ok, first of all its great that scum like this gets punished for this kind of behavior. no question

but twenty years, with thirteen years in prison? really?? seems highly excessive for an incident where no shots were fired, nobody was hurt at all. many violent crime convictions where ppl were actually badly hurt are often far less than that

btw, what does twenty year with thirteen in prison mean? whats the extra seven years for, how does it get served?

convicting over being a racist !@#$tard is amazing. The guy deserves some alone go think time but 20 yrs? Yeah... just as stupid as meathead

By the way, asshat, wanna start this as a trade of your article vs my article on race? Cuz... I know a ton of them. And would destroy you

Edited by Boyst62

Under Georgia law, aggravated assault carries a maximum 20 year sentence, making terroristic threats a maximum 5 year sentence, and violating the Street Gang Act 5-15 years. So it seems light...he could have gotten as much as 80 years, and he's lucky he doesn't have a federal hate crime charge tacked on to it, plus an extra 60 for aggravated assault against minors.

I'd wager he got a year for each count of aggravated assault, five for terroristic threats, and 5 for violating the Street Gang Act. Don't know what the other seven years are. Georgia law's apparently a little odd.

does pointing a shotgun at someone qualify as aggravated assault? im not much on legal issues, i really dont know. i figured assault was actually touching or shooting at someone

does pointing a shotgun at someone qualify as aggravated assault? im not much on legal issues, i really dont know. i figured assault was actually touching or shooting at someone

Yes. Pointing a shotgun at someone and threatening them is aggravated assault under Georgia law. Pulling the trigger is battery (or more likely "attempted murder" in the case of a shotgun...but the point remains: threatening something is assault in Georgia, doing something is battery.)

Like I said, Georgia law's a bit weird. Is his sentence a little excessive? Maybe...probably mostly for applying the Street Gang law. I don't think it was meant to be applied to groups of rednecks driving around with Confederate flags and acting like idiots. Likewise, the application of "making terroristic threats" is probably an overly-broad one...but given that the entire country's lost the ability to distinguish between "crime" and :"terrorism," that's downright normal these days.

Is his sentence a little excessive? Maybe...probably mostly for applying the Street Gang law. I don't think it was meant to be applied to groups of rednecks driving around with Confederate flags and acting like idiots. Likewise, the application of "making terroristic threats" is probably an overly-broad one...but given that the entire country's lost the ability to distinguish between "crime" and :"terrorism," that's downright normal these days.

Agreed. I don't know if this guy had any priors or not but it wasn't reported that he did and if not it just seems pretty highly excessive for some idiot who got drunk and threatened some people but never did anything. I don't have any problem with jail time, he deserves it, but 13 years just seems like too much

Guest Diesel-USMC

How does everyone feel about the Ban 2.0 that is going to be implemented very soon?

You mean "To Vett or Not To Vett" 2.0.

I'm sure there are twisted panties everywhere.

How does everyone feel about the Ban 2.0 that is going to be implemented very soon?

Well, since it has little to do with "Race Issues" , I guess it doesn't really matter in this thread.

NASCAR is banning people? What did they dope their cars?

Vettes might not be the best choice for a race car. Powerful engine but body work is really expensive

The President of the United States has referred to it as a ban.

Well, since it has little to do with "Race Issues" , I guess it doesn't really matter in this thread.

It very much has to do with race issues.