For the love of tennis !!

Fan in Chicago

← The Stadium Wall

Buffalo Bills Community

»

Any tennis fans out there ? What a setup in the year 2017 at the Australian Open

Venus vs Serena Williams

Nadal vs Federer

Total age of the four = 136 years

People talk about how committed and driven Brady is. How about a nod to the above four who waded through a sea of young bloods to be in top of the tennis world this weekend. Two of them will lift the trophies but there will be no losers. Certainly not tennis fans worldwide !

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Nadal vs Federer should be epic. Roger knows it's one of his last shots at another title and has said he's going to go for it, unlike in the past where he's always played a super defensive game against Nadal. I hope Roger takes it.

With the Williams sisters match, I'm interested to see the kind of effort Serena gives. I could see her letting her sister have one last hurrah. Serena will still have quite a few more chances.

Been a pro tennis fan since the days of Connors, Mac & Borg -AND Chrissy. Yes, the Williams sisters put the Ice Maiden and Butch Navratalova to shame! Federer is among the very best ever. I'm not as big a fan of Nadal. I consider him along the lines of Aggasi though he's won a few more..

Should be a great Finals!

This is going to be awesome--likely the last time we see these finals match-ups ever.

I will be rooting hard for Nadal (since I love his game) and the underdog, Venus.

By the way, I have always found it impossible to watch the Australian Open with the time change. It is the one slam that I consistently miss.

This is going to be awesome--likely the last time we see these finals match-ups ever.

I will be rooting hard for Nadal (since I love his game) and the underdog, Venus.

By the way, I have always found it impossible to watch the Australian Open with the time change. It is the one slam that I consistently miss.

I am a Nadal fan too cos of the way he approaches the game and how humble he is off court. AUS open is tough but I record the games when these greats are in the finals. I woke up at 4 this morning and watched the game straight through. What a great semi finals ! Dimitrov has arrived

I am a Nadal fan too cos of the way he approaches the game and how humble he is off court. AUS open is tough but I record the games when these greats are in the finals. I woke up at 4 this morning and watched the game straight through. What a great semi finals ! Dimitrov has arrived

Weird. I've always disliked him cus of what a whiner he is and how slow he always played. I'm also a Federer fan so that could partially be why.

Majors tennis has become so much more watchable as I've aged and drifted away from other sports. These guys and ladies work their buns off and it's just them out there, no one else to blame, in a game that hasn't changed all that much since Renaissance times (I may be one of the few who kinda misses the players curtseying to the royal box at Wimbledon). Rarely do you hear about off-court troubles. Nadal and Federer really do seem like two of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. I was pulling for a Fedal final and am glad they're getting another chance at playing each other.

HD and Hawkeye have helped make tennis so much better.

The AO is a little difficult with the timezone difference, but for the past several years I often wake at 3-3:30 a.m. for whatever reason (well... grief, probably) and putting on the ESPN3 app has been as good a time-passer as anything else at that hour.

Weird. I've always disliked him cus of what a whiner he is and how slow he always played. I'm also a Federer fan so that could partially be why.

I can see those points of view. As years have gone along, mydislike for Fed has gone down. In the first few years, I thought he was very arrogant and hardly complimented his opponent after a loss or win. Perhaps the last few years he has been more humble and more appreciative, esp of nadal. I liked Nadal right from the beginning due to his fire, determination, play-every-stroke-hard attitude.

No matter which side of the proverbial fence you are on, it is undeniable that the longevity and ability to repeatedly come back from injuries must be admired in both men. Their approach and dedication is a life lesson for all of us. If we all lived lives in the way they have approached their tennis careers, we would all be better people for sure.

I hope Roger wins. I pray Venus wins.

I will be rooting for Nadal but give the edge to Fed based on how consistent he has been with his serve and his low unforced errors. I feel Nadal plays the rallies better but his forehand has been a problem - which Fed will exploit. As fans, the best case scenario is a hard fought 5 setter. Not sure my heart can handle it but hey - thats the fun of sports.

I can see those points of view. As years have gone along, mydislike for Fed has gone down. In the first few years, I thought he was very arrogant and hardly complimented his opponent after a loss or win. Perhaps the last few years he has been more humble and more appreciative, esp of nadal. I liked Nadal right from the beginning due to his fire, determination, play-every-stroke-hard attitude.

No matter which side of the proverbial fence you are on, it is undeniable that the longevity and ability to repeatedly come back from injuries must be admired in both men. Their approach and dedication is a life lesson for all of us. If we all lived lives in the way they have approached their tennis careers, we would all be better people for sure.

Very well said.

We were down to the Lipton/Erickson/Sony/Miami Open things a couple times. The best place to be is on the side courts and practice courts. Serena was a vile human being with foul language and countless busted racquets complaining about her hitting partner. Her entourage was enormous! And allowed all the nasty without a blink. There were 5 year olds watching along the fence. The parents should have dragged them off, and some did. Think US Open when she wanted to place a ball in the arse of the lines judge. THAT is the real Serena.

Roger, on the other hand, had over a dozen little floppy headed kids following him and he just kidded and laughed with them, rubbing their little mop heads and having a great time. I like Venus, not a Serena fan. Ever.

Edited by Augie

I've been playing tennis since I was six years old. Was all-league in high school. Love the pro game.

Great final this morning. Happy for Roger to get another major at this stage of his career.

Yep, congrats to Roger. He played a fantastic fifth set. I do feel however that each of them was very measured and muted due to their respect for each other. They werent as fired up as in their past Grand Slam final contests. Nonetheless, it was a class display by both men. Tennis will miss them after they retire.