To QB or to not QB

Thats the middle tier of the league (except Osweiler).

The Eagles let Bradford go because they got a 1st and drafted Wentz. The 49ers had Kaep and got the 1st pick of the 2nd round for Alex Smith. Both teams had a replacement in mind. Bradford went to Philly for Foles who was another mid tier guy at the time. Osweiler is the only guy that was allowed to walk in FA and that's after Denver offered him more that $15M per year. If the Bills are going to get a 1st for Tyrod they should certainly consider it. Houston maybe?

Teams haven't just walked away from pretty good QBs unless they had the replacement there. The Bills won't have that in place with Tyrod's bonus kicking in at the beginning of the league year.

If the Bills could get a first for Taylor they should have done it yesterday. I don't think that's happening.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm perfectly content with them sticking with Tyrod and developing Cardale this year.

Me too.

I have my issues with Tyrod, but I will give him one more chance. I think drafting a QB this year would be a wasted pick.

Let's see how it goes next season. Then we can draft Luke Falk.

Yes I spend too much time here and watching the bills. I'd prefer it not sucking again next year by playing the ball patter who can't throw slants or see guys wide open in the EZ.

Say the word McDermott. Get this bum outta town.

Or I could drive another 4 hours and spend 200.00 to watch Taylor open the season with another 111 yard day.

I paid more than that and flew from Denver to Seattle to see him have the game of his career.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

If the Bills could get a first for Taylor they should have done it yesterday. I don't think that's happening.

Maybe not, but Bradford got a 1st a few months ago. TT has 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts. That's pretty good. Houston seems the most likely to me but I don't know if they can take the $ with that terrible Osweiler deal. They are in a weird spot. They have a championship caliber roster with a HS caliber QB. They have to replace him this offseason but a rookie seems to make more sense because of the $.

Teams to this point have paid the Bradford's, Tannehill's, Dalton's, Kaepernick's, Osweiler's and Alex Smith's of the world. The Bills would be bucking a trend. They'd be the 1st team to move on from a pretty good QB. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it would be different.

80% of the QBs you mentioned's teams have made the playoffs. 40% to conference championships and 20% to a super bowl. 60% have won a playoff game.

I would gladly "over pay" for a QB that helps bring success, like Alex or Colin rather than stomp my feet, close my ears, and say "but he's not good enough to win a Super Bowl" (like we really know that).

-Not a tanker

Edited by reddogblitz

Maybe not, but Bradford got a 1st a few months ago. TT has 47 TDs and 12 INTs in 29 starts. That's pretty good. Houston seems the most likely to me but I don't know if they can take the $ with that terrible Osweiler deal. They are in a weird spot. They have a championship caliber roster with a HS caliber QB. They have to replace him this offseason but a rookie seems to make more sense because of the $.

The Osweiler thing is really perplexing...especially if Elway really offered him what they reported. Either way, it seems that people just misread his ability pretty badly.

The larger point, I guess, is that the Bills would hardly be the first team to walk away from a marginal QB. I suppose it comes down to what they'd like to get back for letting Taylor go...a 2nd? 3rd? If everyone is committed to giving McDermott all the time he needs, then I could see something like that happening, but if they're still convinced (or want the fans to believe) that this team is close then they're not going to accept anything less than top dollar...I'm not aware of another QB situation that's apples to apples. It'll be an interesting look into the FO's mindset at the very least.

The goal of the franchise is to deliver a championship. Not just a wildcard game. We did not get there with TT. Many blame it on the Bills mid-pack defense.

Bills ranked 19th in total defense. Five out of twelve playoff teams ranked below them in total defense in 2016 and still made the playoffs.

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Dolphins - 29th - Tannehill

Five Franchise QB's led their team there. TT led the Bills to 7-9. Sometimes rebuilding IS the way to go to gain a long term competitive advantage (Franchise QB).Patriots in the Super Bowl. Brady will play 3 or 4 more years. Dolphins on the rise. Bills and Jets are below .500 teams. Even if OBD fixes the D, that doesn't mean the Bills can punch their ticket to the playoffs.

TOTAL DEFENSE RANKINGS NON-PLAYOFF TEAMS

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

They need the combination of an improved Defense AND a FRANCHISE QB. TT is not THE guy.

Tank and rebuild so the Bills have a chance to dominate the AFC East and win a Super Bowl AFTER Brady retires. It isn't going to happen, before he does.

The goal of the franchise is to deliver a championship. Not just a wildcard game. We did not get there with TT. Many blame it on the Bills mid-pack defense.

Bills ranked 19th in total defense. Five out of twelve playoff teams ranked below them in total defense in 2016 and still made the playoffs.

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Five Franchise QB's led their team there. TT led the Bills to 7-9. Sometimes rebuilding IS the way to go to gain a long term competitive advantage (Franchise QB).Patriots in the Super Bowl. Brady will play 3 or 4 more years. Dolphins on the rise. Bills and Jets are below .500 teams. Even if OBD fixes the D, that doesn't mean the Bills can punch their ticket to the playoffs.

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

They need the combination of an improved Defense AND a FRANCHISE QB. TT is not THE guy.

Tank and rebuild so the Bills have a chance to dominate the AFC East and win a Super Bowl AFTER Brady retires. It isn't going to happen, before he does.

What are you using as a "total defense" ranking?

By DVOA (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods) we were ranked 26th - and only ahead of 1 playoff team in Atlanta (who was ranked 1st on offense). Buffalo was ranked 10th on offense (ahead of several playoff teams - KC, MIA, DET, SEA, NYG, and HOU).

You need to use the DVOA rankings. They are a more accurate depiction as it accounts for situations.

And from that metric we are truly bad. The only time the defense took care of business really were Baltimore, NE (injured 3rd string QB), LA (worst offense in the league), SF (2nd worst offense int he league- and one of the worst defenses to boot), and zona (with a ST assist on the blocked field goal for a TD that broke the game open).

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

Meh to YPG. 8 out of the 12 playoff teams were above average in PPG allowed.

This is a great thread: thanks to all for well thought out posts.

I am no TT supporter (as mentioned in other threads). With that being said, getting rid of him now would be lunacy. There are methods the Bills can use to help him that could allow him move above the 'game manager' category in which he currently resides: scheme (more roll-outs, more 'pop' passes, deeper drops to see over the line (boggles my mind this has not been done yet). In addition, a better O line (although I believe the current line was good this year) should, by all logic, yield positive results.

We still don't know what the O wil look like this year. We do know the coaches track records, however, and I believe TT will be better for it.

TT's cost is exactly where it should be for what he currently is. Should the Bills scheme better to help him he will become a steal.

Tanking, IMHO, should not be on the table as QB drafting, as clearly laid out up thread, is such an inexact science.

Whaley's Guys:

Tyrod Taylor - GAME MANAGER

EJ Manuel - BUST

Matt Cassell - BUST

Kyle Orton - BUST

Cardale Jones - CLIPBOARD MANAGER

We are at 10 right now. Not that far from the top. TBR Strategy. Tank - Bottom Out Rebuild. Move to the top of the board Draft - Franchise QB. Brady will be gone by the time rebuild complete.

How many years have the Bills missed the playoffs because at least in part to lack of Franchise QB? 17 going on 20. At this rate, the JAGS are going to make the playoffs before the Bills will. Sad. TBR.

With your logic, Jax and Cleveland should have multiple Superbowls by now. They have been tanking for a long time.

Edited by Deceptikhans

How many years have the Bills missed the playoffs because at least in part to lack of Franchise QB? 17 going on 20. At this rate, the JAGS are going to make the playoffs before the Bills will. Sad. TBR.

The Jags are in a worse QB situation than the Bills so that's an odd example? Bortles has thrown 34 picks over the last 2 years and has people wondering if he can be the guy. The Jags have a pretty good roster otherwise.

I think that there are a multitude of reasons that the Bills have missed the playoffs. It has been different in different years. I think that QB play has been a factor at different times. The Bills had a really good defense a few years back but no offense. The tables have turned recently and it is the other way around. There were other years (like 2007ish) where they just lacked talent everywhere. The reasons for not being a playoff team though vary. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to put it together in a given year.

QB or no QB. Superbowl Winning Quarterbacks:

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1
Johnson-1
Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

Bills need an elite Franchise QB. Other teams manage to find them. Instead, OBD's goal is to make the wildcard game and when they don't, they keep telling everybody how close they are.

TBR