Doug Whaley 1-on-1

He just made it more confusing! LOL

Yup, that's what I've been saying. He is trying to temper expectations for the coming season with the prior media piece. Some people read into it as "tank" and now he's trying to back track on it a bit.

It's not going to be a tank, but given the cap space, and the schedule, three starters who are FAs may not all be back in the fold. For instance Gilmore bec. this draft is deep in DBs. So instead of giving Gilmore huge contract, they'll draft a rook or two (much like what Carolina did this past year), give them a year to develop, and use the QB class of 2018 to grab that franchise QB and add more foundation pieces for a championship run in a couple of years. Ok I think we got it.

Sounds reasonable but the problem is the brainless Bills fans will be calling for McDermott's head because the team fell short of their own (unrealistic) expectations.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total Horse Hockey WEO nonsense!

I don't understand why you are having a difficult time understanding WEO's point? He is SPOT ON. Its refreshing to hear the truth even if its not what we want to hear.

IMHO, just illustrates how dysfunctional the organization is from top to bottom. No cohesiveness.

the section where he talked about the QB sounded exactly like what he said at McDs presser and with the different camera angle makes me think they spliced it in there. Not that it means anything as I would expect him to give the same message. Just makes me wonder how long is it going to take for them to decide on TT and when will they announce it.

According to our beloved and esteemed media, they already decided back in October.

As far as announcing, I would expect them to announce when they have to, and not before.

I don't understand why you are having a difficult time understanding WEO's point? He is SPOT ON. Its refreshing to hear the truth even if its not what we want to hear.IMHO, just illustrates how dysfunctional the organization is from top to bottom. No cohesiveness.

His position is completely off base with regard to this standard team produced video.

This. If they decide to let high priced players go because they are due to get paid more than the value they have on them, so be it. They'll find replacements that are of good value to the franchise. If we resign Gilmore and woods (or brown) then we're going to have 10 mill of space to replace 22 other free agents. That's a lot of players we need to sign. I expect one of our big 3 to be resigned (or maybe none). If they feel it's better to find players that are of better value to the infrastructure of what they're building, I hope they go through with it. Sustained success >> making the playoffs next season.

NewEra, you have the overall calculus correct, but the other 22 free agents are really not so much of a problem. Look at the list - how many are starters, and how many are vet minimum guys?

It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

I didn't need him to explain it to grasp the idea, and I am not sure why people struggle with this. We are a team on the edge of the playoffs, and maybe one of these years we will make it in, but he wants to build a team that competes consistently, not one that floats around the edge..

I also don't understand why people see a problem with this. It is a pretty healthy attitude to have.

It's like playing dumb is the medias way of paying back Whaley.

No idea what team you think is on the verge of the playoffs. The 2016 Buffalo Bills had holes all over the roster in safety, WR, RT, CB and depth at several positions. The special teams took a huge drop this year to 23rd and no idea why Crossman kept his job.

We still don't know if Tyrod is the answer at QB and how can we when most of the better receivers were injured for a lot of the year.

Now Whaley needs to retool the defense again to fit McDermott's 4-3 scheme. This was like 2009-2012 all over again switching from Jauron's 4-3 to Pettine's 3-4 to Wannstedt's 4-3! Now to Schwart's 4-3 to Rex Ryan's 3-4 and back to another 4-3. WTH!

This is why this franchise needs to imitate the Atlanta Falcons with their front office of a team president of football operations who was a long-time NFL GM, a director of scouts for the Patriots to GM and his assistant who was also a GM with the Patriots. The Falcons need three GM's to equal what Bill Belichick does in NE to keep his team forever in the playoffs. This franchise needs better NFL people at the top of the org chart.

I don't expect a quick turnaround in 2017. I think we will probably end up somewhere just short of .500 again.... 6-10 or 7-9. But I think this team could very easily be a position to make a run in 2018 depending on the decisions they make this offseason. I really, really believe that trying to reload for a 2017 run is a mistake. They should be looking at this as a year for McDermott to make his rookie mistakes and a year to reshape the roster sensibly without making drastic, panicked decisions. That isn't to say write this year off.... if it happens quicker than expected (like it did for Miami this year) all the better but don't try and force in in 2017. This is a spring that requires sensible, sober, level-headed decision making.

I don't expect a quick turnaround in 2017. I think we will probably end up somewhere just short of .500 again.... 6-10 or 7-9. But I think this team could very easily be a position to make a run in 2018 depending on the decisions they make this offseason. I really, really believe that trying to reload for a 2017 run is a mistake. They should be looking at this as a year for McDermott to make his rookie mistakes and a year to reshape the roster sensibly without making drastic, panicked decisions. That isn't to say write this year off.... if it happens quicker than expected (like it did for Miami this year) all the better but don't try and force in in 2017. This is a spring that requires sensible, sober, level-headed decision making.

I can't recall a time where drunken, erratic decision-making was ever appropriate? :lol:

On this post you sound like an economist: On the one hand this and on the other hand that. You can't be wrong because you covered both sides of the hand.

Whaley's hand will mostly be forced because of the cap situation. The cap squeeze combined with a lot of free agents is going to force a lot of player movements off the roster. That's not going to be as challenging as it seems because there are a lot of replaceable players on this roster. The biggest challenge is figuring out how to keep Gilmore. By letting Gilmore go the GM makes his task a lot easier. I also think that Whaley is going to try hard to get TT to modify his contract a tad to give him a little more room to maneuver.

Edited by JohnC

People do sometimes learn from their mistakes.

Apparently a couple years some folks at OBD thought Rex was the man. They've come to the realization that they were wrong. They assessed how they made their mistake. And now they went after a coach who has some key qualities they felt Rex was missing.

It's like this is a foreign concept at TBD and the second half of your post is spot on!

I didn't need him to explain it to grasp the idea, and I am not sure why people struggle with this. We are a team on the edge of the playoffs, and maybe one of these years we will make it in, but he wants to build a team that competes consistently, not one that floats around the edge..

I also don't understand why people see a problem with this. It is a pretty healthy attitude to have.

It's like playing dumb is the medias way of paying back Whaley.

Fully with ya here! :beer: