Doug Whaley 1-on-1

Dude: step away from the Espresso

Just saying, the first 2 pages of this post were pretty ridiculous. Talking about propaganda and damage control by providing a pretty standard interview about the new coach and key players - and one they have done before with many previous coaches and GMs. It is standard stuff.

The Bills org is completely over the press conference and moved on, but people can't just let it go. They have to rave on and on about it even though Whaley nailing the press conference doesn't make this football team better one bit.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is all this about propaganda? And damage control? The interview was asking Whaley about the new coach, why he hired him, what he thinks of him, Tyrod's future etc.

Geez people, you need to get over this obsession with a damn press conference that has zero effect on the football team.

what else would people complain about....there are no games being played.

I have no idea what they were discussing but any good GM thinks short, mid, AND long term, at all times.

I have been a Whaley fan but if they don't keep Tyrod, and don't have a serious trade for a serious QB, I have little faith left in him.

I think if they don't keep Tyrod and don't trade for a serious QB, it will be because they are trying to tank for a top draft pick next year to use on QB.

I am not, myself, in favor of this strategy. It's cliche', but losing gets to be a habit just like anything else a man does a lot of. The players start out hating it then they have to learn, somehow, to adjust to it and accept it. Their focus slips. Their intensity slips. So you wind up with a brand new shiny QB and an OL who aren't used to digging up that extra last oz of effort that puts **** in their pants and WR who aren't used to coming back or diving or leaping for that hard to catch ball.

I think if they don't keep Tyrod and don't trade for a serious QB, it will be because they are trying to tank for a top draft pick next year to use on QB.

I am not, myself, in favor of this strategy. It's cliche', but losing gets to be a habit just like anything else a man does a lot of. The players start out hating it then they have to learn, somehow, to adjust to it and accept it. Their focus slips. Their intensity slips. So you wind up with a brand new shiny QB and an OL who aren't used to digging up that extra last oz of effort that puts **** in their pants and WR who aren't used to coming back or diving or leaping for that hard to catch ball.

I am all for this. Sign Mike Glennon and keep Jordan Mills at RT. Let Leslie Frazier call a Tampa 2 Defense with Ragland trying to play safety in the middle of the field. Let Gilmore walk.

Players don't have to know what the plan is.

Just saying, the first 2 pages of this post were pretty ridiculous. Talking about propaganda and damage control by providing a pretty standard interview about the new coach and key players - and one they have done before with many previous coaches and GMs. It is standard stuff.

The Bills org is completely over the press conference and moved on, but people can't just let it go. They have to rave on and on about it even though Whaley nailing the press conference doesn't make this football team better one bit.

^

This post for the win.

What do you want him to say to a "real" journalist? You want him to answer what exactly? I'm curious.

Well, I don't think it's going to happen, but there seem to be a lot of people who believe that Doug doesn't play well with the HC and that he even made damaging leaks to the media about Rex being fired and moving on from Tyrod (note: this doesn't make sense to me as an action he'd take) or otherwise actively undermined Rex. Although it matches what Pegula said, people think Whaley lied in his presser about not knowing that Rex was likely to be fired and not knowing or asking why Rex was fired.

John Wawrow has hinted that Whaley was in some kind of trouble at OBD prior to his infamous presser, and has implied that a script for HC search (Whaley's script?) that would result in choosing Lynn as HC was not followed (again, it doesn't make sense to me that Whaley would be against keeping Taylor but for keeping Lynn; if the reason is continuity on offense, only a matched pair makes sense).

I think it would be helpful overall for Whaley to sit down with a real journalist he could have some trust in to be fair, and openly discuss all these rumors and what actually went on. Again I don't think it's going to happen.

If not the above, then it would help Whaley to start building a better relationship with the press, if it's true that he's just inaccessible and even hides in the "players and staff only" weight room during the open media access portion of practices.

I am all for this. Sign Mike Glennon and keep Jordan Mills at RT. Let Leslie Frazier call a Tampa 2 Defense with Ragland trying to play safety in the middle of the field. Let Gilmore walk.

This reminds me of an old story about an Air Force student pilot over Pensacola. AF pilots use the same civilian air traffic control system as commercial and private pilots in many circumstances, such as instrument flight training, including federal air frequencies. It is forbidden to use profanity on these frequencies.

Story says an AF instrument student was shooting practice approaches and they weren't going well. He inadvertantly keyed his mike as he said "G*d d**nit I'm all f**ked up"

The controller responded "Pilot who made that last transmission, Identify!"

At which point the AF instructor piped up: "He said he was all f**ked up, he didn't say he was f**king stupid"

Players will know what the plan is. And even if they manage to be all f**ked up without being stupid, all the negative effects and habits that build with losing will still ensue.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Still talking that Tampa 2 defense that won't happen here under McDermott. :lol:

Well, I don't think it's going to happen, but there seem to be a lot of people who believe that Doug doesn't play well with the HC and that he even made damaging leaks to the media about Rex being fired and moving on from Tyrod (note: this doesn't make sense to me as an action he'd take) or otherwise actively undermined Rex. Although it matches what Pegula said, people think Whaley lied in his presser about not knowing that Rex was likely to be fired and not knowing or asking why Rex was fired.

John Wawrow has hinted that Whaley was in some kind of trouble at OBD prior to his infamous presser, and has implied that a script for HC search (Whaley's script?) that would result in choosing Lynn as HC was not followed (again, it doesn't make sense to me that Whaley would be against keeping Taylor but for keeping Lynn; if the reason is continuity on offense, only a matched pair makes sense).

I think it would be helpful overall for Whaley to sit down with a real journalist he could have some trust in to be fair, and openly discuss all these rumors and what actually went on. Again I don't think it's going to happen.

If not the above, then it would help Whaley to start building a better relationship with the press, if it's true that he's just inaccessible and even hides in the "players and staff only" weight room during the open media access portion of practices.

Much of what you mention is conjecture: "if it's true", " a lot of people believe", etc. Because people believe it does not necessarily make it true or entirely true. You're right that he won't have the interview you're wanting, and he doesn't have to; find a fair journalist like all of the Buffalo News columnists (I thought Bucky and Sully were the only columnists but apparently even the reporters are now acting like columnists over there) who have been so fair up to now with their rumor, innuendo and insults?

Rex wanted IK. Whaley brought in IK. Rex wanted Tyrod. Whaley brought in Tyrod. Rex wanted assistant position coaches to the position coach. Whaley and Pegula's signed off on that. Rex got everything he wanted. Why do people think Whaley was trying to undercut him? Rex does not appear to have been his choice, but that does not mean friction between them outside of the normal friction any two men will have in any circumstances. How many mem on this board go back and forth at each other, yet everyone here, I imagine, is a Bills fan and want to see the team win?

Whaley being the leak does not make sense either for many reasons. People seem to want or need it to be him for some reason. I would guess it is agents or staff people in the building. Check the secretaries. Check the sales department.

Whaley is terrible at the media game (So is Terry), but it won't help the Bills win games if he were. And for all of the media tumult about what the Bills don't share with them, how come none of them tell us what their editors coverage plan is for them at any given time? What stories are they choosing to investigate as opposed to others? What person are they trying to focus on as opposed to another person? Why are they focusing on those stories or people? They ain't going to tell us that. They won' tell you what is discussed in their departmental meetings. Why not? Well, your answer to that is the same answer the Bills would give why they don't divulge certain information.

Are they? Maybe he's misinformed, but Wawrow doesn't make it sound as though that's so. Kim Pegula didn't sound as though it's so.

When an organization needs to reshape the public image/message of itself when that image as been damaged, it produces such an interview where the "damaged" individual is allowed to answer predetermined questions by an organization employee in a controlled setting with no chance for going off script or failing to answer appropriately.

This is what propaganda is. There is no chance for the public, though a free press to ask its own questions. Whaley may as well have just read a 6+ minute statement touching on the new HC, TT and the upcoming/draft/season, etc.

When the Allies called Goebbels a propagandist, he never asked "which part was propaganda?

So what? Just call it what is, that's all. No harm in pointing this out, and it can't be credibly denied.

Come out Terry!!

So you're just pointing it out? You expect any one here to believe that? That this is tantamount to you stepping outside, pointing at the sky and saying "blue?"

Are they? Maybe he's misinformed, but Wawrow doesn't make it sound as though that's so. Kim Pegula didn't sound as though it's so.

Yeah they're definitely not.

Which is why it's puzzling that Berchold still has a job.

Edited by The Big Cat

I turned on ESPN and caught a bit they used after Whaley stated he has found the secret to winning games which he said was "To win in this league, you need two things: players and winning". It was kinda like a SNL bit and rather hilarious.

Almost as good as "This is the game of football," "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

This reminds me of Hank Bullough back in the 80's, "that really took the sail out of our winds", or "The spare of the moment"

"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it" or "he's making improvement throwing the ball where he is throwing the ball.

Much of what you mention is conjecture: "if it's true", " a lot of people believe", etc. Because people believe it does not necessarily make it true or entirely true. You're right that he won't have the interview you're wanting, and he doesn't have to; find a fair journalist like all of the Buffalo News columnists (I thought Bucky and Sully were the only columnists but apparently even the reporters are now acting like columnists over there) who have been so fair up to now with their rumor, innuendo and insults?

Rex wanted IK. Whaley brought in IK. Rex wanted Tyrod. Whaley brought in Tyrod. Rex wanted assistant position coaches to the position coach. Whaley and Pegula's signed off on that. Rex got everything he wanted. Why do people think Whaley was trying to undercut him? Rex does not appear to have been his choice, but that does not mean friction between them outside of the normal friction any two men will have in any circumstances. How many mem on this board go back and forth at each other, yet everyone here, I imagine, is a Bills fan and want to see the team win?

Whaley being the leak does not make sense either for many reasons. People seem to want or need it to be him for some reason. I would guess it is agents or staff people in the building. Check the secretaries. Check the sales department.

Whaley is terrible at the media game (So is Terry), but it won't help the Bills win games if he were. And for all of the media tumult about what the Bills don't share with them, how come none of them tell us what their editors coverage plan is for them at any given time? What stories are they choosing to investigate as opposed to others? What person are they trying to focus on as opposed to another person? Why are they focusing on those stories or people? They ain't going to tell us that. They won' tell you what is discussed in their departmental meetings. Why not? Well, your answer to that is the same answer the Bills would give why they don't divulge certain information.

I agree with most of what you write here, especially the part about Whaley being the leak does not make sense. There are a lot of staff people. There have been a lot of "leaks" that don't make sense. The "rogue" one for example; that's still lurking around in the form of Leo Roth (?) who asked McDermott whether he was confident he could keep Taylor if he wanted him.

I still think it would be helpful to clear the air and directly address some of these questions, for several reasons. I think there are some journalists who are fair, or try to be fair - there may be some with TBN but I don't know who they are. John Wawrow seems pretty grounded. So does Ty Dunne. Again, I don't think it will happen but you did ask what I'd like to see!

And in the realm of the possible, Whaley trying to build a better relationship with the press going forward would be something I'd like to see.

A high pick doesn't guarantee a team a good QB. Every team would do this when they need a QB, otherwise.

Three words: St Louis Rams.

Another three words: San Francisco 49ers.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I turned on ESPN and caught a bit they used after Whaley stated he has found the secret to winning games which he said was "To win in this league, you need two things: players and winning". It was kinda like a SNL bit and rather hilarious.

Almost as good as "This is the game of football," "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

This reminds me of Hank Bullough back in the 80's, "that really took the sail out of our winds", or "The spare of the moment"

"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it" or "he's making improvement throwing the ball where he is throwing the ball.

He clearly meant you need two things to win, you need the players, and you need to actually win the games. I think we can all identify that part of the reason we didn't make the playoffs was because in 2014 and 2015 we failed to win games that we should have. You'd think that Bills fans would like the fact that the GM is saying "we don't only need to set ourselves up to succeed with the talent, but we need to execute and actually win too, and only then will we be a winning franchise."

But nope, we regress to shallow potshots.

So you're just pointing it out? You expect any one here to believe that? That this is tantamount to you stepping outside, pointing at the sky and saying "blue?"

Yeah they're definitely not.

Which is why it's puzzling that Berchold still has a job.

How are they definitely not? I guarantee that they do not look at this as a roadblock to the success of the franchise, and more as an annoying distraction that they would have rather went right, but they will move past it just fine. Terry Pegula's comments reflect that, and Kim Pegula's comments support that they wish that it would have went better but they are moving past it.

Edited by What a Tuel

Are we not already there?

He clearly meant you need two things to win, you need the players, and you need to actually win the games. I think we can all identify that part of the reason we didn't make the playoffs was because in 2014 and 2015 we failed to win games that we should have. You'd think that Bills fans would like the fact that the GM is saying "we don't only need to set ourselves up to succeed with the talent, but we need to execute and actually win too, and only then will we be a winning franchise."

But nope, we regress to shallow potshots.

How are they definitely not? I guarantee that they do not look at this as a roadblock to the success of the franchise, and more as an annoying distraction that they would have rather went right, but they will move past it just fine. Terry Pegula's comments reflect that, and Kim Pegula's comments support that they wish that it would have went better but they are moving past it.

They might not view it as an impediment to success, in fact I doubt they do.

But if you think billionaires don't care about optics and how they and their organizations are viewed publicly, you're dead wrong. They care. Deeply.