Whaley, Monos and the new HC

TPS

id make it simple, how many had a better 2014 draft? Still, it will be subjective because what's the metric? For example, we are just now seeing CK's potential. How good will he be? How do you account for injuries?

I'm busy now but I will review this when I have time. Easy to do on Wikipedia.

i would argue he should be judged starting with the 2014 draft because it's the first with his personnel team in place. Only one player out of 20 is not on an NFL roster and it's an injury issue.

In the interest of fairness 2013 was the first draft he's ever run , if not necessarily in name and title.

He may not have had Monos and friends to help him out but he scouted every guy they drafted.

It's probably six of one and half-dozen of the other, cuz either way he's picking NFL quality players at around a 90-95% clip.

Edited by Simon

The Bills had the lowest number of players they had drafted themselves playing of any team in the league. Whaley sucks at drafting but has done OK with free agents. Apparently he has never picked a coach though so here we go. This should be interesting

Also I believe the lowest number of games played by 1st round picks since 2014 (when he took over)

Might those two things be related? That is, he has brought in some good low priced vets that were better than some rookies that he drafted (and they are other NFL rosters). It also is influenced y coaches decisions on the end of the roster- do you think a 5th - 7th round pick would have been better than Zach Brown or Leger Douzable was for this team?

No doubt, part of that is related to having a middling and semi-effective QB (allows them to pay more for veterans than teams with $25M QBs), but he is maximizing what he has control over.

Well this is certainly a glass half full post. You could very easily make an argument in the complete other direction as well. Just because a guy is starting doesn't mean he was a good pick. We got very little production from this years draft class, although completely admit the jury is still out and you can't judge a class after one year. Darby and Miller are only two picks last year who are starting, albeit we didn't have a 1st round pick. We gave up too much for Watkins when other talented receivers were available at later picks. Whaley did have a hand in the 2013 draft which was abysmal. It's also not about who we drafted, but players that we passed up as well and there are many instances of better players being available that we didn't pick.

Tim Graham's idiocy is among the stupidest standards anybody could have come up with to judge Whaley's work.

The Bills have a 50+ man roster and Whaley has only had the opportunity to draft 28 guys. In order to meet the standard many of you keep referring to, then approximately 40 out of Whaley's 28 picks should still be in Buffalo.

Hmmm, I wasn't a math major, but........ haha

I think they do a pretty good job in the draft (especially considering Rex certainly had input for what he wanted to do) and a very good job in FA.

This year's draft was heavily influenced by Rex's unusual needs for his useless defense. It will be a bit of an albatross but I hope it shows coaching candidates that Whaley was willing to give the coach the players he requested even though they turned out to be not very useful moving forward. The 2016 draft will be the worst part of having had Rex here. The on field disaster was bad enough but we basically skipped a whole draft so he could get his son's frat buddy, a throwback that will end up getting thrown back and yet another front 7 guy whose college coach snickered at his selection.

This year's draft was heavily influenced by Rex's unusual needs for his useless defense. It will be a bit of an albatross but I hope it shows coaching candidates that Whaley was willing to give the coach the players he requested even though they turned out to be not very useful moving forward. The 2016 draft will be the worst part of having had Rex here. The on field disaster was bad enough but we basically skipped a whole draft so he could get his son's frat buddy, a throwback that will end up getting thrown back and yet another front 7 guy whose college coach snickered at his selection.

Don't be too quick to discount this draft; yeah they focused on guys that Rex thought he could work with but Lawson, Washington and Ragland should all be able to play well in a 4-3. Who knows what we'll see from Cardale, but if he pans out this draft could be a whale(y) of a haul.

Hmmmm.

Tim Graham's idiocy is among the stupidest standards anybody could have come up with to judge Whaley's work.

The Bills have a 50+ man roster and Whaley has only had the opportunity to draft 28 guys. In order to meet the standard many of you keep referring to, then approximately 40 out of Whaley's 28 picks should still be in Buffalo.

Salient.

This is multifactorial. Many things go into this, such as injuries, changing of coaching/schemes (changing to a 3-4), trades (Kiko for Shady, Hughes), and Whaley's superior ability to find talent elsewhere (Lorax, Brown, etc). No one gets a prize for having the highest number of draftees starting.

Ditto.

When the Graham's of the world conduct analysis in a vacuum, they open themselves up to realities. Two of which are exposed in your posts. My hope is it would give a reasonable person pause to think things through before sending it to the editor. But this is Graham we are talking about and serving his own agenda trumps reasonable common sense.

Edited by K-9