Hall of Fame finalists announced - TO in Final 15

Spurna

The only way he was forced was no NFL team wanted him, that's a far cry from forced to do anything. Not sure it was him that revitalized two teams as much as he was there at the right time when the team was able to bring in a large amount of talent. If I recall correctly, didn't he even start the season in St Louis as the backup but the starter got hurt (Trent Green was it), so Warner took over. Seem to recall everyone was mourning after they lost their starter and how a great team and season was now going to go downhill. But Warner led them to a SB win.

My biggest grip about Warner is a very short NFL career. Yes I get that it's the "Pro" Football HOF not the NFL but until someone gets voted into Canton who played their entire league in one of these other leagues, I'll base it on what he did in the NFL which to me wasn't that much. I think his story got him elected more than actually what he's done on the field.

He is great. He revitalised two moribund franchises, got the 3 Superbowls, was money in the play-offs and did it all having been forced to go to Arena Footbal and NFL Europe to make his case.

Kurt Warner is one of the most deserving HoFers in years.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way he was forced was no NFL team wanted him, that's a far cry from forced to do anything. Not sure it was him that revitalized two teams as much as he was there at the right time when the team was able to bring in a large amount of talent. If I recall correctly, didn't he even start the season in St Louis as the backup but the starter got hurt (Trent Green was it), so Warner took over. Seem to recall everyone was mourning after they lost their starter and how a great team and season was now going to go downhill. But Warner led them to a SB win.

My biggest grip about Warner is a very short NFL career. Yes I get that it's the "Pro" Football HOF not the NFL but until someone gets voted into Canton who played their entire league in one of these other leagues, I'll base it on what he did in the NFL which to me wasn't that much. I think his story got him elected more than actually what he's done on the field.

I disagree with just about everything you wrote.

It's called "The Pro Football Hall of Fame", so obviously your statement is incorrect. He led the NFLE in TD and passing for his one year there and he is in the Arena Football HOF.

As others have pointed out, he took 2 sad teams to the SB. Won a SB. Took a beating his entire NFL career. Dominant in the playoffs (compared to Peyton Manning, for instance).

Absolutely slam dunk HOF QB.

No way this is considered by the Hall of Fame voters

The HOF doesn't care about NFLE (which is a step up from college, maybe on par with the CFL) or AFL. But if TD could get in with his 3 dominant seasons, I guess Warner should make it as well. Before TO? Hell no, but that's the voters for you.

The HOF doesn't care about NFLE (which is a step up from college, maybe on par with the CFL) or AFL. But if TD could get in with his 3 dominant seasons, I guess Warner should make it as well. Before TO? Hell no, but that's the voters for you.

The HOF has a special section to recognize those that played in other leagues, like the USFL... it's located near the bathroom I think.

I think Swann is questionable too, but he was the big play guy on 4 championship teams which is why his credentials go beyond just stats.

Obviously the TO omission is absurd and just petty politics.

Taylor is one of those guys who stuck around long enough and stayed healthy enough so that he piled up a big sack #. A HOVG player for sure, but nothing about him says HOF to me. I think he's a terrible choice, especially given the names on the list.

Davis is the toughest one. 4 years in looked like a top 5 all time RB and then boom, career ending injury. I still don't know what you do with that.

Absolutely. Hall of FAME.

You can't write the history of the game without Swann, or TO, Jerry Jones, Kurt Warner, and TD.

If not for this honor, the other 4 that got in either were or would be long forgotten.

Edited by Rico

And for those who only want numbers.... try the three highest passing totals in Superbowls... the most prolific passing postseason of all time, the most passing TDs in a post season, the 2nd highest career completion percentage in the post season... and being one of only 3 QBs to start Superbowls with 2 different teams.... and being one of only 3 men to throw 100 TDs for two different teams (the other two in that category are Tarkenton a HOFer and Manning a future HOFer).

He also is tied for fewest games to reach 30,000 yards tied with Marino.

Even if you want to make it a pure numbers game..... Kurt Warner is a Hall of Famer.

And for those who only want numbers.... try the three highest passing totals in Superbowls... the most prolific passing postseason of all time, the most passing TDs in a post season, the 2nd highest career completion percentage in the post season... and being one of only 3 QBs to start Superbowls with 2 different teams.... and being one of only 3 men to throw 100 TDs for two different teams (the other two in that category are Tarkenton a HOFer and Manning a future HOFer).

Even if you want to make it a pure numbers game..... Kurt Warner is a Hall of Famer.

Plus the grocery store to an NFL field thing is awesome too.

He's had a few awesome seasons, but I guess part of the argument is , do you ignore the many mediocre/poor seasons he had? Some do and some don't. Simple as that , I think. Nobody is disputing his on the field achievements.

He's had a few awesome seasons, but I guess part of the argument is , do you ignore the many mediocre/poor seasons he had? Some do and some don't. Simple as that , I think. Nobody is disputing his on the field achievements.

I'm not ignoring any season. I am making a judgment based on the overall body of work.

After the USFL stint, Steve Young had a horrible start to his NFL career in Tampa Bay, then he rode the bench behind the great Joe Montana and generally underachieved by far in the post-season. If he can make it in with that kind of resume, so can Warner.

Edited by Rico

You can't write the history of the game without Swann, or TO, Jerry Jones, Kurt Warner, and TD.

If not for this honor, the other 4 that got in either were or would be long forgotten.

100% agree.

Personally I am a big proponent of peak value (3-4 best years) and less of a career value guy. I'm not saying to ignore it. Everything counts. But those best years if they have a big enough impact should carry more weight. JMO

You can't write the history of the game with Larry Brown, Malcolm Butler, Dwight Clark, or David Tyree either. That doesn't make them HOFers. Swann and Stallworth won a lot but they are not HOF caliber players (especially Swann). That's an individual honor to bestowed upon the greatest players, not guys that won a lot.

You can't write the history of the game with Larry Brown, Malcolm Butler, Dwight Clark, or David Tyree either. That doesn't make them HOFers. Swann and Stallworth won a lot but they are not HOF caliber players (especially Swann). That's an individual honor to bestowed upon the greatest players, not guys that won a lot.

Completely disagree with this. They both are very deserving thats why they have been elected. Are you old enough to have seen those guys?

Edited by horned dogs

Swann is 226th in receiving yards, well below 250th in receptions (that's as far as I could find) & 113th in TDs. He's an important player on great teams but not a HOF player. That is reserved for individual dominance.

Yeah, Swann shouldn't be in.

Swann is 226th in receiving yards, well below 250th in receptions (that's as far as I could find) & 113th in TDs. He's an important player on great teams but not a HOF player. That is reserved for individual dominance.

My definition is a HOFer is among the best of his time. For example, Lynn Swann was one of 4 WR named to the ALL 70s team along with Paul Warfield, Harold Carmichael and Drew Pearson. Between the 4 of them they all averaged between 40-49 catches a season, 700-800 yards and 6-7 TDS . These guys were the best of their ERA and deserve to be acknowledged for it. Otherwise you just end up with all the best players being from certain statistical eras.

As a side note Swann caught 9 TDs in 12 Post games between 1975-79 and they won all four games. That is a major contribution to 4 Super Bowl championships. Who else has done that?

Edited by horned dogs

After the USFL stint, Steve Young had a horrible start to his NFL career in Tampa Bay, then he rode the bench behind the great Joe Montana and generally underachieved by far in the post-season. If he can make it in with that kind of resume, so can Warner.

Maybe neither player should be in. Maybe having a positive public image helps.