Shrewd Whaley Wins Alliance battle at OBD.

dezertbill

When you say accountability, I'm not sure what you mean. Accountability for personnel decisions? Okay, but I thought he made more good than bad. Accountability for Rex? Pegs said, for right or wrong, that wasn't his role. Accountability for being the leaks on Rex's fate? Was that Whaley who did that?

who does Doug Whaley answer to.

evidently, it's not Bills fans.

jw

I get that, but if he's not the man to hire and fire how open can he be? He still has to toe the company line, no?

if that's the company line we heard on Monday, then i'm not sure what it is.

jw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who does Doug Whaley answer to.

evidently, it's not Bills fans.

jw

He answers to the Pegulas, and I assume the presser answers were an attempt of taking the bullets for Terry. Am I off here? To be honest, I don't expect DW to answer to me. I expect him to build a winner. If he can't his explanations mean nothing to me anyway.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i will say this, and i missed this with my initial response.

Russ is more of a backer of Whaley than he ever would have been of Rex.

jw

I assumed this was well known. Which is why my question is rhetorical in nature.

He answers to the Pegulas, and I assume the presser answers were an attempt of taking the bullets for Terry. Am I off here? To be honest, I don't expect DW to answer to me. I expect him to build a winner. If he can't his explanations mean nothing to me anyway.

if he took the bullets for Terry, i'm not sure we're having this discussion.

jw

if he took the bullets for Terry, i'm not sure we're having this discussion.

jw

So the only person left is himself. He was covering his rear? Funny way to do that.

Sorry if I'm thick but I still can't follow. DW didn't hire Rex, other than maybe going along with Terry and Russ two years ago, yet there is some expectation of accountability. Accountable for what??? Accountable for not holding up under interrogation?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

and that's why i refer to this offseason as being the most dysfunctional since post-2005.

this will not be received well, but i credit Russ Brandon for doing just that when he stepped down as GM and hiring Buddy Nix.

jw

Squaring images of the war room on draft day, involvement in player contracts, continued corporate ascent, overlapping and ambiguous areas of responsibility, etc. with the "he's dropped the reigns" remarks is great yoga logic exercise.

Maybe I'm getting it now. DW botched the presser forcing Terry to speak to you to set record straight. Am I warmer?

DW was covering his own ass. And, yes, he botched it, making the entire org look like morons. He botched it so badly that the owner stepped forward and through his actions denied DW's opening statement of "speaking for ownership".

Dead man walking.

DW was covering his own ass. And, yes, he botched it, making the entire org look like morons. He botched it so badly that the owner stepped forward and through his actions denied DW's opening statement of "speaking for ownership".

Dead man walking.

Poor Pegs. :(

Three people vying for the owner's ear only works when you are winning. When you start losing, it shifts to an exercise in self-preservation. That's when the dysfunction emerges. It's pretty clear from the past week that OBD is not aligned as "One Buffalo."

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

That's what you call an attempted Coup.

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

And Schefty is reporting that's coughlin isn't on Whaleys radar?

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

Whaley is in more control now than he has ever been.

This isn't dysfunction. That was before when Rex and Brandon had Pegulas ear.

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Well done Mr Whaley. Well done.

Welcome aboard Doug!

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

Earlier in the season Ryan, who is friends with Tom Coughlin due their days in NY, introduces TC to Pegula and sets up a meeting. It's reported that in that meeting there is Brandon, Ryan, Coughlin, and Pegulas.

No Whaley.

So a football guy had a meeting with the owner about football operations, and the Team President who has zero to do with football operations and head coach is there yet the GM who has everything to do with football operations isn't?

It's also shows that Brandon and Ryan were aligned, and it was most likely Russ that brought Ryan in for an interview since he was part of the hiring process at the time. (DW wanted Hue Jackson). It also makes sense of Brandon's comments to not let Ryan leave the building without agreeing to be our coach.

Rumors flew that Pegs liked Coughlin and some were saying this would signify some sort of Czar role. For this to happen, everyone and their mother knew this would make Whaley disposable.

This would put an ally in the FO for Ryan and Brandon, and eliminate Whaley who was in an obvious power struggle with not only Ryan but also Brandon. Ryan knew he was in the hot seat which is why you heard constant battles of Ryan not getting the best out of players vs. Whaley not giving him enough talent.

Sitting in the press box with the owner week after week you know Whaley had to have been hammering Ryan on his poor decision making and overall poor play to Pegs, as well as other conversations through the season.

In the end with the fan base in a tizzy Pegs had little choice. He's a billionaire, and not by mistake. He knows when it's time to let a poor preforming executive go.

So that's why Ryan asked to speak with Pegs In private. Because he knew DW wasn't his ally. Think about that. The coach asking the owner if his job is safe and didn't want the GM privy to the convo? If DW and RR were close, Rex would have gone to DW first and then both would have been in the discussion with Pegs. It's called self preservation.

I have been in situations where your boss tells you a co-worker you didn't get along with is no longer with the company. In the corporate world you don't ask why. You just nod (most likely with a smile) and say "yes sir". Which is what DW did and explains his response in presser yesterday as to the fact he didn't ask why. You know deep down DW was smiling, but he isn't going to tell the media that.

So now Pegs realizes he listened to the wrong person (Brandon). He should have listened to Whaley who would have brought in a great offensive mind in Jackson who grooms QBs and kept their top ranked defense intact keeping Schwartz.

So now, Pegs has granted DW sole control of the search. The candidate they choose will be one he believes can lead this team to the playoffs, not who Brandon thinks.

Imagine that.

Brandon, meanwhile, according to Whaley is "doing a lot. And I have no idea what that is".

Nor does DW care

To me this all makes sense. And DWs Art of War Answers yesterday was him taking alot of heat for a decision he wasn't fully supportive of. Whaley even went as far as to say he was on board with the Ryan decision. What's he going to say, "I wasn't?"

If he admitted to the press and threw his owner under the bus for the decision saying he wasn't on board with it, his title would be "former GM". And no other owner would touch him.

It was apparent that Pegs gave him his blessing to make the firing nothing about him because Ryan wasn't his choice. He was Brandon and Pegs choice. Pegs told DW to "blame me".

This is now how it should have been in the first place. Your GM controlling the football show.

Is this based on a true story?

Can it be that Ryan was a lousy coach??? The pegulas let a bad thing happen they admitted it and are remedying it? Did Whaley really need to play a mind game and trash Rex? Did he not bury himself??

Where, when did Whaley trash Rex? I have never heard that. I think if he had, during that press conference the other day, that would have been the story from the local media, not their continued "dumpster fire" narrative. I give Whaley a lot of credit for using restraint, and suffering those fools at the press conference. He took one for the team....

Where, when did Whaley trash Rex? I have never heard that. I think if he had, during that press conference the other day, that would have been the story from the local media, not their continued "dumpster fire" narrative. I give Whaley a lot of credit for using restraint, and suffering those fools at the press conference. He took one for the team....

Agree 100%

the only thing i'm missing is accountability on Whaley's part.

at the very least, I'll credit Tim Murray for being upfront and open in discussing his team and his decisions.

jw

I believe Whaley has assembled a franchise that can win.

It's well documented that RR took a 4th ranked defense with basically the same players drove it into the ground the following year.

In 2014 the Bills finished 9-7. Our offense this season averaged 3.5 points per game more than 2014. However our defense this season allowed 5.5 points more per game than Schwartz defense in 2014.

You apply that nine point swing to each game this year and the Bills finish 13-3. Heck, if only Ryan's defense allowed 5.5 points less per game this season the Bills finish 11-5.

Do you think after grinding out low scoring games in NY year after year that Ryan all of a sudden became an offensive juggernaut?

I think not.

Ryan failed to follow through on his promise to make our defense top 5 and that's what made the Bills into who they are, not the talent that Whaley put on the field.

If the Bills were 11-5 or 13-3 would we be talking about Whaleys accountability? Or would we be talking about how he replaced our top two picks who we lost to injury with two journeymen Lorenzo Alexander and Zack Brown who finished 2nd in the NFL in sacks and tackles, respectively. Lorax is heading to the Pro Bowl.

Of how he found a potential shut down corner in the 2nd round that many had a first round grade on. Or how we were finally able to find our franchise back and potentially our franchise QB. Or how after a decade of incompetent OLine play we have a stud unit that paved the way for 1st in rushing this year. Year after year Whaley has had late round picks and street free agents acquired in mid season who have made big plays in key moments, not just riding the pine collecting a paycheck.

At 13-3, with all the injuries we've had, including our top two draft picks, Whaley would be up for executive of the year.

And the Bills would have a first round bye.

That's the difference between having a good coaching staff and having a bad coaching staff.

Talent isn't the problem. It wasn't for Jim Schwartz. It wasn't for an offense this season who ranked 1st rushing, 10th in scoring (with 12 teams making the playoffs), allowed the fourth fewest fumbles and almost set the record for fewest turnovers in a season.

It's coaching. Hopefully the right coach can give us a winner.

With a good coach well be able to truly grade whether Whaley is a good GM or not.

Let's hope its next season.

Edited by dezertbill

Doug Whaley is no dummy.

No Whaley.

Imagine that.

Nor does DW care

Agree