Why the Pegula hate?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i can only speak for myself. I'm concerned they look at PR and miss the substance. Look at the Sabres first hires- Lafontaine and Nolan, fan favorites but Lafontaine , with no experience running a team, hires his buddy, who was a lousy coach, but fans loved them both. The team is much worse than when he took over. The first hire of the Bills with Rex, another PR move, and another failure. On the sports side of the business, the results have been horrible.

I agree 100%

Hate is way too strong of word.

I like the family, appreciate the passion for making buffalo a better place, willingness to provide resources to the bills and sabres. And, most of all, the regional stability of those franchises

However, as functional sports owners, for on ice/field product, pegula is a disaster.

Sabres, i can see why he might have been willing to stick with ruff and regier. They did have some decent years and respect in the league. The fans and media had known they had run their course though... but it turned out very bad, and moves were made in half measures, early in seasons, after course could have been better corrected with entire offseasons (and a lengthy lockout). Strange drama with lafontaine reflects poorly as they lost another cog of credibility in craig patrick. Now we only have an eccentric gm running the show and it is going very poorly. Ted Black, who was loved and respected by fans was sent packing for russ brandon, who many do not like or trust. The Sabres are still bad and boring. Going to games is a chore. Working on a very nice playoff-less streak of their own that spans pegulas ownership. The longest such streak in Sabres' franchise history.

The bills purchase held similar baggage as the sabres... without a glimmer of success. It was a no brainer to thank the old guard and bring in a new operation. The Bills are a 50 year joke other than a sonewhat brief stretch in 88-95. Marrone even put it on a silver platter to clean house when he walked out the door. Polian seemed set to come in. Then something strange happened there. Something about people in the organization 'badmouthing'

This is another opportunity for change, but they are sticking with the cast of characters, holding the bills' masterful art of graying the blame as who is responsible for failed coach hires, bad draft picks, etc... promoting lynn is not changing the failed organizational course. At some point, probably after one year of "changing schemes and personnel", year two of "continuity", and year three wheels coming off... lynn and whaley will leave, along with all problems and poor decisions. Brandon and Pegula will 'promote' Monos, and the cycle of making identical mistakes will continue.

Edited by May Day 10

It kind of falls into the old saying " don't bite the hand that feeds you". Let's face

had the Pegula's not stepped up to save these two franchises for Buffalo, all the

great sports minds of the Buffalo Press and Media would unemployed.

no hate whatsoever from this fan. he is taking action to make the team more competitive and is doing what he believes in all things considered. if i were a chicago bears fan i would not be happy with the organization for keeping coach john fox after a 3 and 13 season, for example, but pegula is taking action. i wish he would do more but maybe in time he will, right now he needs someone within the bills organization to trust.

I don't live in Buffalo and I don't follow the Sabres as closely as the Bills. i don't understand where the Pegual hate is coming from? Is there more to the story than just the current state of each team? The Sabres successfully complteted the tank and look on the rise - thwarted by injuries to their three best players. Pegs missed on Rex but that probably has more ot do with having too much faith in Brandon the Circus Clown. Looks like he has moved correctly moved the GM into the top power position. You can argue he should dump Whaley too, but the best coordinators are available to interview this week. It is unlikely he could have signed a top GM so quickly.

Again is there more to the hate?

Because people on here seem to forget that the Pegulas saved both of our pro sports teams. If it weren't for the Pegulas, Buffalo more than likely would have lost both of these franchises and would be without a major league sports franchise. Both teams were already perennial losers before the Pegulas took over and nobody on here seems to recognize that it will take time to turn these teams around. The Sabres and Bills both already have a lot of young talent and are probably a couple of years away from being competitive. I think it's harder in hockey because the league is so balanced. I don't think either team is far off, but people on this board want to win right now. I understand the disappointment that comes with year after year of losing, but the Pegulas have owned the Bills for a little over two years and the Sabres a bit longer than that. They are doing their best to not only turn these teams around, but also the harbour front in general. They are awesome people who care about the community IMO.

what 'young talent' do the Bills have that will blossom into a competitive NFL team. From my view, the best pieces are aging fast. Bad contracts with a lot of upcoming FAs. Watkins is probably the best piece and I cant imagine he is happy with the current state of things, and by the time his Entry deal ends, his disdain will probably be at the breaking point.

what 'young talent' do the Bills have that will blossom into a competitive NFL team. From my view, the best pieces are aging fast. Bad contracts with a lot of upcoming FAs. Watkins is probably the best piece and I cant imagine he is happy with the current state of things, and by the time his Entry deal ends, his disdain will probably be at the breaking point.

If you can't see any young talent on this roster, maybe you haven't been watching. I see a team with a boatload of talented athletes that were poorly coached and unprepared. That falls squarely on coaching and they got rid of the guy that's responsible.

The Pegulas took over a 9-7 team and brought them to 8-8 and then 7-9.

If it weren't for the Pegulas that 8-8 and 7-9 team would be playing their home games elsewhere. They are the owners. They don't play the games or coach the team. They picked the wrong coach. They have corrected that mistake.

If it weren't for the Pegulas that 8-8 and 7-9 team would be playing their home games elsewhere. They are the owners. They don't play the games or coach the team. They picked the wrong coach. They have corrected that mistake.

No they wouldn't.

The Pegulas are the best thing that has helped Buffalo's economy and redevelopment in almost 40 years.

The are responsible for most of the downtown upgrades. Once a true chithole. When we visit it's now fun.

As sports team owners, they seem really out of their business element.

Twice now, first with the Sabres now with the Bills they are naively listening

to flawed advice from leftover executives. In the Bill's case Ralph's ownership.The NFL has executive committees

that can guide new owners I was told. To date the Pegulas have not accepted that offer. Who knows? Maybe it blows?

Hate is a weird word. No one hates the Pegulas. But if you follow the Buffalo major

sports teams. Disappointment is non stop. With for the Bills at least. No solution in sight.

I agree, BPA. The Sabres and Bills are a trainwreck. Still ashamed of the '14 Tank Job only to lose out on the lottery. I'd trade Eichel in a New York Minute for McDavid and the team isn't any better 2 seasons removed. Norty, Seymore & Punch are rolling over in their graves. The Bills have won 1 less game in 3 straight years, lost 2 HC's and still have no QB..

What they've done to the city is worthy of a City Hall statue, but their sports mgmnt leaves much to be desired.

No hate here, though.

I agree, BPA. The Sabres and Bills are a trainwreck. Still ashamed of the '14 Tank Job only to lose out on the lottery. I'd trade Eichel in a New York Minute for McDavid and the team isn't any better 2 seasons removed. Norty, Seymore & Punch are rolling over in their graves. The Bills have won 1 less game in 3 straight years, lost 2 HC's and still have no QB..

What they've done to the city is worthy of a City Hall statue, but their sports mgmnt leaves much to be desired.

No hate here, though.

+1