Another LaCanfora rumour RE: Tyrod

Wayne Cubed

Awful if this is reality.

Your forgetting 2013 with EJ, Thad and Tuel.

No, 2013 was WAY better. That D was attacking and fun......the O surprisingly moved the ball decent with a bunch of nobody QB's.

They weren't unlikeable.

I've never been so bored in my life watching that Losman/Holcomb offense.

The Billsy thing to do would be to decline Taylor, let Gilmore WALK for nothing, use your draft picks to "fill holes", start the semi-interested man-child Cardale then replace him with a journeyman midseason when the team full of vets goes in full revolt mode. :lol:

It's sad but we have seen this before.

Pat Williams gets let go......leaving a huge void in a talented but aging D.

The weird and immature Losman starts and drives the vets insane.

Holcomb comes in and bores us to death with check down throws.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This pisses me off. Unless they have someone who can perform better than Tyrod, I don't see the point of moving on. You can keep him, work on making him even better while also developing/drafting other QB's.

I think the same way, but if I were the Bills organization starting a coaching search, I would want to keep options at QB open, at least until I bring in the next coach.

I think the same way, but if I were the Bills organization starting a coaching search, I would want to keep options at QB open, at least until I bring in the next coach.

I agree with this.

All they have to say is that they are keeping the options open so the next coach can decide if that's the case.

If it's a lie and Whaley is predicating his search around a HC who will only play HIS guys then Whaley deserves to be next in the shredder if the team misses the playoffs again.

Awful if this is reality.

Your forgetting 2013 with EJ, Thad and Tuel.

That was the year Whaley went "ALL IN" on EJ. I can't believe he doesn't catch any heat for the failure of that proclamation or the fact that he thought he could go into the season with these 3.

I'd say they were around the 25th-27th defense in the NFL this year when you take into account their performance/opponents.

That's more than some flaws.

Giving up THREE separate 200 yard rushers is more than some flaws.

The offense was top 10.

The defense was just bad and there is no excuse for it with good talent on that side of the ball.

The offense is a top 10 offense when the run game is working and they have a lead. They were one of the worst offense when they were behind or had to pass because the run game was working.

For the first part, well Duh. He's been listed on the Bills injury report since the week after the Bengals game (leading up to week 12). People just paid it no mind because he wasn't listed as missing any practice.

The sports hernia surgery report is actually fairly positive, it's not a slam-dunk but it's better than having something like an avulsion (bone chip completely fractured off the hip, these sometimes have poor blood supply and are problematic to heal).

For the second part, I don't believe it.

There's a storyline that says Rex was responsible for signing Tyrod and Rex pushed him as a starter, over Cassel or Manual, and was his staunch supporter - may even have forced the issue of the contract extension, which the Bills clearly did not have to do (in the Bills complicated structure, both the coach and the GM have input on player valuation to the business people, who report to Brandon - as I understand it). According to this storyline, it makes sense that with the coach who brought him in and pushed him out of the picture, Tyrod would be the next out the door.

On the other hand, the Bills were clearly following a strategy to sign the best vet and the best 2nd tier FA they could get their hands on, and after Chase Daniel signed in Philly, Tyrod was arguably the "class" of that year's bunch. It seemed pretty clear when the three QB were "auditioning" in 2015 TC, Tyrod was the best of a meh bunch and earned his chance. The contrasting theme is, pretty clearly EJ did not have good QB development his first 2 years and there seems to be some question (Lynn's presser, Trent Dilfer's quotes) about the value of what both he and Tyrod have received since - the last thing we'd want is to move on too early from our 1st round draftee and see him go somewhere else and flourish. He was known to be a project when drafted, the question was 1-2 yr project or 3-4 year project.

I believe there has been talk about releasing Tyrod in the building - what would the cap implications be, how much cap would we have to sign a different QB in FA or pay a QB we traded for, all that stuff, which LaCanfora's source could interpret as "already done gone on". Historically, the FO has been "penny wise, pound foolish" with QB salary, regarding a reasonable renegotiation of Fitz (for example) as "too much" but paying above market for Kolb and Orton.

Tyrod's salary is NOT necessarily a cap problem for the Bills. Per OvertheCap, the Bills had $2.5M of cap space this year to role over and were carrying $19.4M of dead cap! Next year that falls to $1.4M of dead cap, giving the Bills $21M of cap space currently, WITH Tyrods $15.9M 2017 cap hit on the books. Of course, they have significant FA signings, but those can be managed. Bottom line: they can afford Tyrod's cap hit, but they can't afford Tyrod's cap hit AND make a play for a FA signing or trade for a guy with significant $$ owed.

It just makes too much sense that the Bills would want to choose a coach and OC and get their input into the QB situation before making a firm decision one way or the other. Lynn seems, from his tone of voice and word choice, to be more favorable towards Tyrod than EJ. If he stays, either as OC or HC, he may well want to keep Tyrod as the guy he knows he can use to produce a workable O. If it's someone like Kyle Shanahan, would he lobby for trying to trade for or sign a more conventional pocket-passer? Who knows? That's why I don't believe the Bills have really made a firm decision.

Chase Daniel signed with the Eagles almost a full calendar year after Tyrod signed with us.

I agree with this.

All they have to say is that they are keeping the options open so the next coach can decide if that's the case.

If it's a lie and Whaley is predicating his search around a HC who will only play HIS guys then Whaley deserves to be next in the shredder if the team misses the playoffs again.

I could just be hopeful (heheh), but I see the trend as tightening the lines of responsibility. If Whaley is allowed to spearhead the coaching search and have the biggest voice in choosing the new coach (perhaps have the coach report to him as many do in the NFL), and he is the one choosing the players, then he will have noone to deflect responsibility towards if the team doesn't improve, and he SHOULD go into the shredder.

That was the year Whaley went "ALL IN" on EJ. I can't believe he doesn't catch any heat for the failure of that proclamation or the fact that he thought he could go into the season with these 3.

Er, Whaley was not GM when the Bills let Fitz walk. And the Bills signed Kolb on March 30, again before Whaley became GM. It was the bathmat and the concussion that led to the Manuel/Tuel/Lewis show (and Lewis if I recall, signed just before the season)

I think you're confusing 2013 with 2014, which is when Whaley announced that the Bills were "all in" with Manuel and had no plans to sign a further FA QB - only to sign Orton about a week before the season started.

Does LaCanfora still think Marrone is getting the Jets job?

Wasn't that Schefter?

Chase Daniel signed with the Eagles almost a full calendar year after Tyrod signed with us.

You're right, he was still locked up by the Chiefs at that point.

I could just be hopeful (heheh), but I see the trend as tightening the lines of responsibility. If Whaley is allowed to spearhead the coaching search and have the biggest voice in choosing the new coach (perhaps have the coach report to him as many do in the NFL), and he is the one choosing the players, then he will have noone to deflect responsibility towards if the team doesn't improve, and he SHOULD go into the shredder.

I'm hopeful with you. Clear up the org chart so we know who is responsible. No way to hold people accountable unless you know who to credit or blame. Too muddy the old way in my mind.

The offense is a top 10 offense when the run game is working and they have a lead. They were one of the worst offense when they were behind or had to pass because the run game was working.

No, they are ACTUALLY a top 10 scoring offense over the course of 15 games. Period.

Perhaps they are BETTER than that with a lead.........but they were top 10 overall and when you add in the quality of competition numbers it's even more impressive.

What was awful was the defense........they struggled to take advantage of the Bills offense........blowing leads in a heartbeat......allowing a weak team like the Jags to throw punches with their O all day.

The D was D-plorable.

Special teams too.

Possibly, he's been wrong plenty of times on the Bills:

-Said Chris Polian was relacing Whaley after the 2014 season

-said the Bills where moving up to grab Connor Cook in the 16' draft

Etc, etc

I'll give LaCan some credit. He was the first national guy to say the Bills were going to fire Rex.

Then again, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

And he's wrong too often for me to take him seriously.