If QB is one of the primary concerns--how can it be fixed?

The Big Cat

Somebody's gotta start in 2017  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Pick whichever option(s) you would endorse

• Call up Cardale
    • Retain EJ
    • Retain TT at $27.5M
    • Retain TT at a negotiated cut
    • Bring back Fitz
    • Sign another FA (specify in reply--KIRK COUSINS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE)
    • Trade for Romo or sign him if he's released
    • Trade for Jimmy G
    • Trade for Sam Bradford
    • Trade for a young backup hiding on another team's roster (specify in reply)
    • DRAFT BABY DRAFT (specify in reply)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Rivers a bit overrated? I've watched a bunch of their games and he seems to have a tendency to make big mistakes at bad times.

Obviously I'd take him in a second if the price was right and he would be a giant upgrade. But it does make you wonder why he hasn't won more.

Look at his talent around him now. When he had LT and Gates, he was considered the next best thing to Brady/Manning. If they had better defense maybe they'd have won one

Look at his talent around him now. When he had LT and Gates, he was considered the next best thing to Brady/Manning. If they had better defense maybe they'd have won one

If he was running the Bills offense and only asked to throw <30 times/game, and had McCoy out of the backfield, Clay up the seam and Sammy out wide? Jesus. We'd have 11 wins by now.

To be clear, I say McCarron because if we move on from Tyrod we need to embrace the full tank. McCarron/Murray looks like taking a shot on potential, but really puts us in premium position to draft our solution.

I don't think Cincy let McCarron walk. They may be ready to move on from Red Rifle

If he was running the Bills offense and only asked to throw <30 times/game, and had McCoy out of the backfield, Clay up the seam and Sammy out wide? Jesus. We'd have 11 wins by now.

Don't forget Woods in the slot. Hunter would probably be a BIGGER factor too. Makes you wanna drool Edited by the skycap

I generally agree with you but he does throw INTs at bad times. But you're probably right.

Would you trade a 1st for him?

I don't think Cincy let McCarron walk. They may be ready to move on from Red Rifle

Don't forget Woods in the slot. Makes you wanna drool

McCarron is the classic case of the backup being the most popular guy in town. There is nothing special about him. Review him in the playoffs last year. If they had Dalton, they might have won a SB last year. He was on fire before he got hurt.

Let armchair scouts do their thing. Put yourself on record!

I went with keep EJ and draft a QB and let them have a FAIR battle in camp. I would support TT at less money but he's not going to do that. And frankly EJ wants out of here ASAP. We're going to be QB "purgatory" when the dust settles.

Let Tyrod walk, his salary commitment is just too high.

Sign a vet placeholder (ideally Hoyer) like Kolb was supposed to be.

Draft Watson in round 2 (after beefing up the RT spot either in FA or in round 1 and signing or drafting a #1-2 WR).

Let Watson / Cardale / Hoyer battle it out all offseason with a beefed up oline, improved receiver group and a dominant running game to put them in a situation similar to what Dak or Derek Carr were put in. Hope for defensive improvements from a healthy Lawson / Ragland and by bleeding the clock and slowing the game offensively.

Let Tyrod walk, his salary commitment is just too high.

Sign a vet placeholder (ideally Hoyer) like Kolb was supposed to be.

Draft Watson in round 2 (after beefing up the RT spot either in FA or in round 1 and signing or drafting a #1-2 WR).

Let Watson / Cardale / Hoyer battle it out all offseason with a beefed up oline, improved receiver group and a dominant running game to put them in a situation similar to what Dak or Derek Carr were put in. Hope for defensive improvements from a healthy Lawson / Ragland and by bleeding the clock and slowing the game offensively.

I don't see it with Watson. He "may be" Tyrod one day. He's played in the same offense since high school.

I'm sick of undersized guys who can't win from the pocket.

Of course Chad Kelly would be my choice. Not sure what round he is projected to go in, but if it's not the first, then I'm in. Let him sit for a year behind Tyrod if you can get TT to re-negotiate, if not, let TT go. He is not the answer.

Of course Chad Kelly would be my choice. Not sure what round he is projected to go in, but if it's not the first, then I'm in. Let him sit for a year behind Tyrod if you can get TT to re-negotiate, if not, let TT go. He is not the answer.

this is all just IMO, but Chad was a 3rd-5th type before he got hurt, now I'd put him at 6th-UDFA.

Haha. Some terrible ideas here.

1) if some team is willing to trade qb, they don't think they are any good.

2) I'm sure a 37 year old with a broken back will work out great.

3) TT has proven he is not worth his extension.

My terrible idea: draft 2 qbs, sign a veteran guy who has some upside, and have them all & Jones battle it out.

Qb isn't going to be a quick fix. I won't hate Taylor for a much lower rate but he isn't the reason the Bills are winning. Guys who throw for under 200 yards and limit turnovers aren't that hard to find

Your terrible idea isn't that bad and it is the most plausible if we let TT walk. Where I get a little concerned is the cap commitment to TT and all of the contracts we have expiring. There is no way we could reasonably keep Gilmore and TT and do much with anything else. If you lose Gilmore, that is another big hole on our starting defense, in a position (that if Rex is still here) is a premium spot and that will make a weak secondary worse off than it is today - hard to believe right?

I don't see how you could maintain where we are right now by keeping TT; I would expect us to overall be worse off with him. If you let TT walk, you can use the $$ on Gilmore, get Ragland back, sign a few FA WRs and use the draft for QB & Safety. I would bet since we lean so heavily on the run and the QB play has been spotty, we might be able to get a bit better overall with a different QB who is a bit cheaper.

I think I did a terrible job explaining this though....

I don't see it with Watson. He "may be" Tyrod one day. He's played in the same offense since high school.

I'm sick of undersized guys who can't win from the pocket.

You have to move up this draft possibly to score a QB; as of now Trubisky is my choice, but he has such a small body of work...I really hope Cardale develops, but I have very slim hopes

Your terrible idea isn't that bad and it is the most plausible if we let TT walk. Where I get a little concerned is the cap commitment to TT and all of the contracts we have expiring. There is no way we could reasonably keep Gilmore and TT and do much with anything else. If you lose Gilmore, that is another big hole on our starting defense, in a position (that if Rex is still here) is a premium spot and that will make a weak secondary worse off than it is today - hard to believe right?

I don't see how you could maintain where we are right now by keeping TT; I would expect us to overall be worse off with him. If you let TT walk, you can use the $$ on Gilmore, get Ragland back, sign a few FA WRs and use the draft for QB & Safety. I would bet since we lean so heavily on the run and the QB play has been spotty, we might be able to get a bit better overall with a different QB who is a bit cheaper.

I think I did a terrible job explaining this though....

You have to move up this draft possibly to score a QB; as of now Trubisky is my choice, but he has such a small body of work...I really hope Cardale develops, but I have very slim hopes

It's an overpay for sure - but it isn't the end of the world. His cap hit would be 15 in year 1, 16 in year 2 (the savings by releasing him are negligible), and like 10 in year 3 if we cut him - that we could split over years 3 and 4 most likely.

As much as people hate it - its not that bad. If you think he can improve in year 3 under a new OC with a different playbook. Maybe pick up the pace a bit more... use our athletic RBs to create mismatches in the passing game. etc.

Also it puts us at 20th in QB spending in the NFL. Ahead of mostly teams with draft picks - or cousins who isn't on there as he's a UFA again (but the second they franchise him again his number blows up).

Edited by dneveu