How many picks do we have in '17?

BillsGuru4

the current by regime of the Bills actually has not done this. They paid Dareus, Glenn, Hughes in FA instead of doing this. Which good players have they let walk? Byrd and Levitre were the wise decisions based on the money they wanted and his subsequent play. Can't think of any others.

As you know, they want to pay Gilmore and not replace him in the draft. He wants 15 mill/yr. he wants to be the highest paid corner in the league. Do you think they should give him that? It's not a question of whether they want to keep him. It's a question of whether it makes financial sense based on his value vs his demands.

It isn't just the Bills that deal with this, it's every team. Can't keep everyone. Especially when you draft well and he was a good 1st rd pick who now can demand serious jack. Some team will give him what he wants. He may not be worth that much. Whaley needs to decide whether he is or isn't to this team.

If he is looking at Josh Norman money and in particular bonus money, I dont believe Whaley should do it, he's not worth that kind of money unless you have money to burn and I havent see anything remotely close to that being the case cap wise in Buffalo. He is a good cover corner, but highest paid corner in the league worthy? I dont think so, he seems to be limited to playing on the defensive right side of the field and doesnt mirror the opposing teams #1. If he's willing to be reasonable and wants to come back (not sure he does), and it doesnt break the bank to do so, then by all means bring him back. Will he get paid and find his heart?

On the bright side, if Hooker comes out this is the best Safety class I can recall at this point in the process in 20 years. The corner class at this point to me is very deep, not top heavy, but I believe it runs deep with good talent, overall IMO this is shaping up to be a very good secondary draft overall.

Very good post by the way, good points and they let Spiller walk when they traded for McCoy, which seems to working out...

I think the Bills problem with the draft and free agency is they lack a strategic approach to player acquisition. They're always making short-term, tactical, moves to pick up a player or two to fill a need but don't seem to have a long-term plan to build a team out along with deciding early who to keep and who to let go via free agency. What's the plan with Gilmore? Spend more cap big chunk of cap space on another player so that 5 or 6 guys account for a lot of spending. Does this make sense?

The problem is there's always 3 or 4 glaring holes in the line up every off-season highlights this problem. Whaley does a good job on an individual basis, making some good picks, finding a guy on another team's practice squad but all these moves seem like individual moves and not part of some grand scheme. Like the Watkins trade. Great move if you a one receiver away from it all and have a QB in place but the Bills had no QB in place to deliver the ball. How could he have ever thought EJ was that guy from his college performances and work to date in the pro's?

The problem the Bills have is they have no big picture approach to building the team year in year out as there's no successful continuity of any kind.

The Bills problem is really simple. We don't have a good QB, haven't had one in ages and play in the same division with an all time great QB/Coach. So we have no chance at a division title and usually start the year with two division/conference losses as we try for a Wild Card. In a league where every win matters, it's not hard to see how this drought has happened.

The comp pick theory that you have for Sammy and the rest only work if we don't sign any other teams free agents that would offset that. There have been numerous years were we thought we'd be getting comp picks but we received none because the free agents we signed offset the ones we lost

Yep, you need to go after guys who were cut instead of guys who had their contract expire. The Packers are masters at working the system.

There are many good points in this thread, thank you to all.

Another thing to consider is the 'team' approach to decision making that they have made such a point about. From my experience, this is a recipe for failure. A GM has that title for a reason and those powers must be exercised. If not, the organization is adrift. Sound familiar?

As mentioned before, I believe Whaley has done a yeomans job of finding some strong performers. He's reached on others. Overall, I believe he's done a good job but needs to take full control. That includes jettisoning the current coaches and getting someone in place who understand the game TODAY and understands their place within the organization.

The Bills problem is really simple. We don't have a good QB, haven't had one in ages and play in the same division with an all time great QB/Coach. So we have no chance at a division title and usually start the year with two division/conference losses as we try for a Wild Card. In a league where every win matters, it's not hard to see how this drought has happened.

And they have no comprehensive plan to identify and acquire a QB or deal with NE. Gronkowski has been dragging their secondary up and down the field for how many seasons? What's been the plan to defend him? Put a 5 foot 7 inch 175 lb. slot CB on him and then be surprised when he's walking into the end zone. The Bills problem is they have no overall plan or identity. The absence of competent QB is just part of that.

And they have no comprehensive plan to identify and acquire a QB or deal with NE. Gronkowski has been dragging their secondary up and down the field for how many seasons? What's been the plan to defend him? Put a 5 foot 7 inch 175 lb. slot CB on him and then be surprised when he's walking into the end zone. The Bills problem is they have no overall plan or identity. The absence of competent QB is just part of that.

constant coach/scheme change are one reason. I'm not advocating for a Rex to stay, and marrone left on his own, but just saying that contributes to long-term plans not being able to come to fruition and continuing to start over. Of course one could point to QB as the reason we have to keep starting over but chicken/egg.

going to loose a few guys on one year contracts. Zach Brown likely for one......the Bills will rationalize that Ragland is that player replacement, of course, we haven't seen that....but Brown is north of 100 tackles and can cover. He will get premium dollars in the free agent market...and, the Bills will get some sort of draft choice imho. But that pick is 18 and its a long time until that replacement hits the field.

I hear you, don't disagree. But Gronk is a problem for every team in the league. That's why he'd be an HOFer if he stayed healthy. I'm way more concerned about what we can do that will be effective against every team, not just the Pats. That begins and ends with a better QB situation, IMHO.

But you're point is well taken. If we did shut down Gronk, let's say, Brady would just find one of any other option to beat us. That's my point about QB

This is the problem the Bills have. They let good players walk and hope a draft pick will be better. This rarely works. Look at past drafts and look how letting a FA walk has ripple effects years into the future. Not looking forward to another rebuild. Doing this every 3 to 4 years has gotten old.

They have been signing the good players...