(OT) The Oscars Are A Joke

R. Rich

Unfortunately, probably not. He doesn't suck up to the Hollywood crowd. I recently watched "Secret Window" 4 times over a 7 day period. He gave an amazing and under-appreciated performance in that film.

253418[/snapback]

With a little luck, Gidge, a time will come will come when they just won't be able to afford to overlook him anymore, regardless of his approach. In younger days I thought him something of a freak, and 'Edward Scissorhands' did nothing to help, but 'Benny and Joon' was terrific, as was "Chocolat.' By the time I saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' I was convinced he is due...regardless of what the academy thinks.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little luck, Gidge, a time will come will come when they just won't be able to afford to overlook him anymore, regardless of his approach. In younger days I thought him something of a freak, and 'Edward Scissorhands' did nothing to help, but 'Benny and Joon' was terrific, as was "Chocolat.' By the time I saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' I was convinced he is due...regardless of what the academy thinks.

253424[/snapback]

Maybe they can create the "Ralph Macchio Category" and give it to him for "Best Performance as a High School Kid While Clearly Being in Your Mid-20s" for "21 Jump Street." :w00t:

Couldn't agree more LA.

Of course it doesn't hurt that he also has those brooding eyes and incredible lips. :w00t:

253424[/snapback]

IMO far & away Depp's best performance is in "Fear & Loathing...",

with honorable mention to "Ed Wood".

IMO far & away Depp's best performance is in "Fear & Loathing...",

253434[/snapback]

Have you ever seen "Nick of Time"? Not a higly heralded film, but Depp was pretty damn good in it. We picked it up on DVD real cheap somewhere.

253434[/snapback]

Only honorable mention - he was nothing short of brilliant in that one. Really showed his range for the first time (along with almost forgotten Gilbert Grape)

Only honorable mention - he was nothing short of brilliant in that one.  Really showed his range for the first time (along with almost forgotten Gilbert Grape)

253453[/snapback]

Agree 100%... but I think he's even greater in F&L, a tour-de-force performance.

My turn..........

I know it's been said several times, but it is worth mentioning again, Titanic over L.A. Confidential? WTF!!!!!!!! I do think Titanic is good, but people had best remember that Leo-mania was one of the reasons why it made so much money.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one, Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan???!!! That was the power of the Weinsteins. Does anyone even remember Shakespeare?

Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare over Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth??!! That was a royal screw job.

Denzel Washington should not have won for Training Day. Ethan Hawke was nominated for supporting actor for the same movie, and he is in it longer than Denzel. Figure that one out.

Julia Roberts for Brockovich??!! Please.

Lord of the Rings should have won each and every year it was nominated. No other movie was close. Ok, Chicago was very good, but LOTR was the best film each of those 3 years.

Another one that pissed me off was Benicio Del Toro winning supporting actor for Traffic over Willem Dafoe for Shadow of the Vampire. That is more of a personal one for me.

And even though I love L.A. Confidential, Kim Basinger should not have won best supporting actress. I thought she was just fair on that movie. Julianne Moore should have won that year for Boogie Nights.

I could think of more, but I should keep it brief.

'Fear and Loathing' got panned so hard out here, it just came and went and I had no interest in it at all. Maybe I should give it a look.

253441[/snapback]

Don't bother. Girlfriend and I just did a netflix retrospective with Depp. Fear and Loathing was in the queue and was unwatchable. Give him and Benitio credit for attempting it, but it would be easier to live with syphilis than watch the entire flick.

I liked 'From Hell' a lot.

One thing is clear, Depp has the nad to stretch himself in unconventional roles and the sense to raise a finger to the H-Wood crap mill. Dude is totally underappreciated.

Don't bother. Girlfriend and I just did a netflix retrospective with Depp. Fear and Loathing was in the queue and was unwatchable. Give him and Benitio credit for attempting it, but it would be easier to live with syphilis than watch the entire flick.

253524[/snapback]

Definitely not for all tastes. Still, I thought he was brilliant in it.

Being a big Terry Gilliam fan, I admit being biased towards it.

The hell with Color Purple, if any film should have won the Oscar in 1985, it's Brazil.

I couldn't even tell you who or what won what last year. I wouldn't watch that Celebrity Suck Fest for $100 bucks. Bunch of overpaid actors getting $50,000 worth of free stuff they don't need and winning useless awards that nobody cares about or remembers. Only in America.

Oh wait, I forgot another all-time Oscar screw job:  Ordinary People was Best Picture in 1980, but Raging Bull is hailed as the best film of the 1980s?????

253233[/snapback]

Yea, that was some bull sh--. What about 1978 when Star Wars lost to Annie Hall. Annie Hall for godsakes!!! The most industry changing movie of all time losing to a stupid woody allen film!!!

I don't bother to watch the Oscars because it is a huge joke and like someone mentioned above, one huge celebrity circle jerk

Denzel got robbed for Malcolm X, but he sure as hell didn't deserve it for Training Day

the credibility of that retarded show is incredibly low for me already but if Don Cheadle doesn't win best actor this year, I'm completely through with them

253242[/snapback]

I dont know man, Jamie Foxx was pretty damn good in Ray. but Cheadle is one of the great actors of this decade for sure.

253424[/snapback]

"Freak" is the key word. He usually plays in such weird, off-beat roles that it tends to hurt him and he gets overlooked. He is a great actor with wide range.

Interesting dialog here.

I was a big Hunter Thompson fan, and I think Johnny Depp was spot on in Fear and Loathing. He can't win this year, but eventually he'll put himself in a blockbuster and win.

The big ripoff was 1969 when John Wayne won for True Grit over Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy. There have been many silly choices over the years, and I agree with the guy who posted about Shakespeare beating Saving Private Ryan. Absolutely absurd.

I've seen most of the nominees this year. Till I saw Million Dollar Baby, I was all in favor of Sideways. Loved that. But Million Dollar Baby sort of took my breath away. It's just amazing.

I agree that Giamatti should've been nominated. Depp was great in that movie, but the part wasn't big enough. Giamatti ruled that picture.

Hilary Swank's problem is she doesn't look like an actress. She looks like a pretty girl. But she is just terrific, and she deserves to win.

As an afterthought, and I know most people have already moved well beyond my post, I think Nicholson's best performance, by far, is in "The Last Detail."

Aw c'mon.  They made up for it by honoring Halle Berry and giving Denzel an award when they DIDN'T deserve them.

253298[/snapback]

Of the nominees for Best Actor that year:

Russell Crowe -- A Beautiful Mind {"John Nash"}

Sean Penn -- I Am Sam {"Sam Dawson"}

Will Smith -- Ali {"Muhammad Ali"}

Denzel Washington -- Training Day {"Alonzo"}

Tom Wilkinson -- In the Bedroom {"Matt Fowler"}

I had no problem with Denzel winning it. I also would've been okay w/Russell Crowe getting it. Will Smith was great in Ali, but I thought Jamie Foxx was just as good playing Bundini Brown in that movie and should've been nominated. Speaking of the supporting actors, I saw Iris and thought it was a good movie and Broadbent was good in the role, but I thought he was better in Moulin Rouge that year. I also thought Ethan Hawke was great in Training Day and was just as good as Denzel was.

As far as the actress race went:

Halle Berry -- Monster's Ball {"Leticia Musgrove"}

Judi Dench -- Iris {"Iris Murdoch"}

Nicole Kidman -- Moulin Rouge {"Satine"}

Sissy Spacek -- In the Bedroom {"Ruth Fowler"}

Renée Zellweger -- Bridget Jones's Diary {"Bridget Jones"}

That one could've just as easily gone to Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones' Diary or Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge. All 3 were very good. Judi Dench was okay in Iris, nothing special though.

Of the nominees for Best Actor that year:

Russell Crowe -- A Beautiful Mind {"John Nash"} 

Sean Penn -- I Am Sam {"Sam Dawson"} 

Will Smith -- Ali {"Muhammad Ali"} 

Denzel Washington -- Training Day {"Alonzo"} 

Tom Wilkinson -- In the Bedroom {"Matt Fowler"} 

I had no problem with Denzel winning it.  I also would've been okay w/Russell Crowe getting it.  Will Smith was great in Ali, but I thought Jamie Foxx was just as good playing Bundini Brown in that movie and should've been nominated.  Speaking of the supporting actors, I saw Iris and thought it was a good movie and Broadbent was good in the role, but I thought he was better in Moulin Rouge that year.  I also thought Ethan Hawke was great in Training Day and was just as good as Denzel was.

253682[/snapback]

Tom Wilkinson - GREAT Actor

The Patriot

Shakespere In Love

The Full Monty

Tom Wilkinson - GREAT Actor

The Patriot

Shakespere In Love

The Full Monty

253718[/snapback]

I did see Shakespeare in Love (vastly overrated) and The Full Monty (good movie), but I haven't seen The Patriot yet. Maybe I'll catch it on one of the premium channels some time.

I did see Shakespeare in Love (vastly overrated) and The Full Monty (good movie), but I haven't seen The Patriot yet.  Maybe I'll catch it on one of the premium channels some time.

253722[/snapback]

Rich - i agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread.....about some movies being overrated. But, I am talking about individual performances.

Pacino in Scent of a Woman was great even though the movie was a big yawn.

Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom"...IMO should have won the Oscar. Even though the movie was a very slow paced movie.

The Patriot is one of only a handful that I have ever purchased.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one, Shakespeare In Love over Saving Private Ryan???!!! That was the power of the Weinsteins. Does anyone even remember Shakespeare?

253515[/snapback]

Not only SVP, but also 'Life is Beautiful'. Both of those films were clearly superior to Shakespeare in Love. Life is Beautiful is my favorite film of all time.

Rich - i agree with a lot of what you have said in this thread.....about some movies being overrated.  But, I am talking about individual performances. 

Pacino in Scent of a Woman was great even though the movie was a big yawn.

Tom Wilkinson in "In the Bedroom"...IMO should have won the Oscar.  Even though the movie was a very slow paced movie. 

The Patriot is one of only a handful that I have ever purchased.

253726[/snapback]

Again, we just have a difference of opinion on some topics. When I mentioned Scent of a Woman, in addition to the movie being awful, I also believe Pacino's performance is subpar. It's over the top in a Jim Carrey-ish sort of way, beneath his considerable acting talents. He can do great, understated work (see Heat). There are many, obviously, who thought he was good in Scent of a Woman. That's fine. I didn't.

Like I said, I'll be on the lookout for The Patriot.

Life is Beautiful is very good.  Depressing, but VERY good, significantly better than Shakespeare In Love.

253734[/snapback]

Yep, very tough to watch......It's typically a cold day in hell that I would ever be caught dead tearing up in a damn movie theater, but I literally was paralyzed and in tears after the movie ended - as was about half the rest of the audience. To me, it's one of the greatest stories ever told of a man's love for his family. Wonderful film......

Yep, very tough to watch......It's typically a cold day in hell that I would ever be caught dead tearing up in a damn movie theater, but I literally was paralyzed and in tears after the movie ended - as was about half the rest of the audience. To me, it's one of the greatest stories ever told of a man's love for his family. Wonderful film......

253738[/snapback]

There's nothing wrong with tearing up at a movie. Some movies just have that effect on people.