(OT) The Oscars Are A Joke

R. Rich

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget Coppola losing to bob Fosse as best director (Godfather vs. Cabaret). Yuck! Then they ignored Paul Giamtti this year in Sideways. Polar Express isn't up for best anaimated film. What is up with the Academy? It's a joke. They love to pat themselves on the back and congratulate themsleves on how important and great they are. I watch just to see how stupid the celebrities are.

Scent of a Woman?????!!!!!!!  Perhaps one of the worst performances Pacino was nominated for, and I'm including his role as Big Boy Caprice in Dick Tracy.

253232[/snapback]

You lost me there...

Out of order, I show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too !@#$in' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! Out of order? Who the hell do you think you're talkin' to? I've been around, you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit. There is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs, but I say you are... executin' his soul! And why? Because he's not a Bairdman. Bairdmen. You hurt this boy, you're gonna be Baird bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, !@#$ YOU TOO!

Women! What can you say? Who made 'em? God must have been a !@#$in' genius. The hair... They say the hair is everything, you know. Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls... just wanted to go to sleep forever? Or lips... and when they touched, yours were like... that first swallow of wine... after you just crossed the desert. breasts. Hoo-hah! Big ones, little ones, nipples staring right out at ya, like secret searchlights. Mmm. Legs. I don't care if they're Greek columns... or secondhand Steinways. What's between 'em... passport to heaven. I need a drink. Yes, Mr Sims, there's only two syllables in this whole wide world worth hearing: kitty. Hah! Are you listenin' to me, son? I'm givin' ya pearls here.

I don't bother to watch the Oscars because it is a huge joke and like someone mentioned above, one huge celebrity circle jerk

Denzel got robbed for Malcolm X, but he sure as hell didn't deserve it for Training Day

the credibility of that retarded show is incredibly low for me already but if Don Cheadle doesn't win best actor this year, I'm completely through with them

Scent of a Woman?????!!!!!!!  Perhaps one of the worst performances Pacino was nominated for, and I'm including his role as Big Boy Caprice in Dick Tracy.

253232[/snapback]

i disagree...i think Pacino in Scent of a Woman was awesome.

I blame the Stonecutters.

Who controls the British crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the martians under wraps?

We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do! We do!

Who robs the cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscars night?

We do! We do!

Ever since they screwed Spielberg for The Color Purple, then really jobbed Denzel Washington for Malcolm X, they've had zero credibility for me.

253226[/snapback]

Though Denzel did later win Best Actor for Training Day. :D

If you consider only films that were nominated, I agree those 2 should've won.

Worst in recent memory IMO though is Dances With Wolves over Goodfellas. :w00t:

Ever seen "Chariots of Fire"?

253293[/snapback]

I hear ya, but look what it was up against:

Atlantic City

* Chariots of Fire

On Golden Pond

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Reds

Raiders is far & away the best, but it's not really Oscar material...hmmm...

R Rich is right! :w00t:

Titanic - the one english broad shows her large cans however. i vote for that movie on the can's merits.

i don't understand how those twits in Lord of the Rings won all the 2004 statutes however. WTF! if you were an actor who gave your life to acting or directing for 40 years adn some little runt hobbit stole your thunder you would be pissed....

Didn't see it.  Was it any good?

253343[/snapback]

GalaxyQuest was hysterical. Yeah, the plot scheme has been used a few times wherein someone from one culture sees someone from another culture out of context, and then needs them to save the day. Think "Three Amigos" where the girl sees a movie of the Three Amigos and assumes they're real, while the amigos think they're going to a gig.

In this case, the cast of Galaxyquest (a cancelled Star Trek like TV show) is viewed by aliens in trouble, and the aliens believe the cast is real, so they bring them to their planet. The cast is under the impression they're going to an autograph signing or some such engagement. The best part was when they arrived at what turns out to be an actual working replica of their show's "Enterprise" type spaceship...and the aliens are waiting for them to go into action.

But Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Richman, Tony Shalhoub.

Thumbs up for shitzngiggles.

The "Historical documents" :D:)  :w00t: 

Did you like "Mars Attacks!"...?

253357[/snapback]

I thought "Mars Attacks" was great, if for no other reason than because people kept giving the aliens a chance...and then the aliens would blow them up anyway. And yet they'd keep getting another chance. I still see the old woman in the chair watching TV yelling "They blew up Congress!!" The Sarah Jessica Parker thing was bit over the top...but otherwise a very solid watch.

I thought "Mars Attacks" was great, if for no other reason than because people kept giving the aliens a chance...and then the aliens would blow them up anyway. And yet they'd keep getting another chance. I still see the old woman in the chair watching TV yelling "They blew up Congress!!" The Sarah Jessica Parker thing was bit over the top...but otherwise a very solid watch.

253358[/snapback]

I thought it was great cause EVERYONE died! One of the stupidest movies ever, but it had a hell of a cast, and they all died!

I kept saying, no way HE dies, and then five minutes later...

One day, Johnny Depp will get his.

Unfortunately, probably not. He doesn't suck up to the Hollywood crowd. I recently watched "Secret Window" 4 times over a 7 day period. He gave an amazing and under-appreciated performance in that film.