Jim Schwartz took Eagles 30th ranked defense to top 5

Yeezus

Superstar players, like Leodis McKelvin and Ron Brooks, make plays. Gilmore and Darby just aren't at their caliber.

Don't forget about Nigel Bradham.

Schwartz is a great DC

Who knows, Bills lose out the next several games, he may be the next HC.

However, I see the Bills going 10-6 and Rex comes back.

I see it that the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs and then win their last couple games to keep Rex around. 8-8.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1000

Once the team owners decide to fire Rex I wonder if they will hire another 4-12 HC and expect miracles?

Well, as Sabres owners, they stayed pat with Ruff, promoted Rolston and then hired Ted Nolan. They finally seemed to get it right in hiring Bylsma, a coach with a great track record. Hopefully they can eventually do the same with the Bills.

There are some good points here. I'm not sure the 2014 season was an exception, considering Schwartz is excelling yet again, but that's not that important...

What is important is that the front office made a mistake, and a lot of people commented initially on the absurdity of starting fresh on defense when that was what we were best at.

I like Whaley, at least his acquisitions and his ability to build a team, but... he needed to have more gumption during the Rex hire. If he wasn't on board with the hire, he should have really used his role as a GM and made a stand. It might have gotten him fired, but sticking to his gut would eventually prove true and he'd rebound and probably be held in higher regard shortly thereafter. If he was on board, he and every front office member that decided Rex was the answer should be fired. I'm serious. It was a remarkably poor decision.

Now, for The Big Cat - this isn't because I think Rex Ryan is necessarily terrible (he's very average - I assume we can agree on that) - it's because he absolutely was NOT the right coach for our team at that time.

We needed to have continuity on defense. The FO should have tried to see what it would take to keep Schwartz as a DC and find an offensive minded HC. In the event that Schwartz was being difficult and was making waves about being disrespected, we should have made him the HC, with the caveat that he focus more on gameday on defense. We then could have recruited whomever at OC. Even if you don't agree with my plan, at the very least it is a plan...I'm not sure you can say the same about what the Bills ended up doing. I think Russ Brandon, Pegula and any other person in the interview room saw dollar signs with Rex Ryan, believed the hype and did not think about the best interest of the 2015 Buffalo Bills roster.

Edit: a typo

I just watched the A Football Life: Cleveland Browns 95. I had no idea Schwartz was part of that Belichick staff. Our franchise deserves what we get. We had someone from that coaching tree in our grasp and we elect to hire the buffoon.

This would have been Schawrtz's second HC gig and he had that D playing at championship calibre. He's an ass. Sure. But I would argue so is Ryan.

Who knows what we could have accomplished.

C

Edited by cale

I just watched the A Football Life: Cleveland Browns 95. I had no idea Schwartz was part of that Belichick staff. Our franchise deserves what we get. We had someone from that coaching tree in our grasp and we elect to hire the buffoon.

This would have been Schawrtz's second HC gig and he had that D playing at championship calibre. He's an ass. Sure. But I would argue so is Ryan.

Who knows what we could have accomplished.

C

I would agree that Jim Schwartz earned a shot at being a head coach again more so than Rex Ryan for what he did with that Buffalo defense that nobody has been able to duplicate. Not George Edwards, Not Dave Wannstedt, Not Mike Pettine and now not Rex Ryan with his brother helping.

What perplexed me at the time of Ryan's hire in Buffalo was didn't anyone in the Bills FO watch those two Jets games in which Schwartz's defense literally dominated Ryan's team 43-23 and 38-3. Between the two games 11 sacks and 5 INTs with a total of 7 turnovers! Jets with 158 yards passing in the first game and 165 yards passing in the second game. Rex Ryan looked so lost on the sidelines in both those games and his defense couldn't stop Kyle Orton.

Ryan has 7 games left to prove he deserves to keep his job and show he can beat a top QB with his defensive scheme. If Ryan fails I'd be for hiring Jim Schwartz or Wade Phillips. for the next HC.

Our defensive problems are pretty simple. Our secondary flat out sucks. We have 2 starting CBs who cannot play man and need help from a defensive scheme that keeps DBs on an island alot of the time. They are simply not good enough. Look at the stats we have given up the highest percentage of plays of 30+ yards in the league. You do that on defense and It makes it pretty tough. We have a break don't bend defense and that's why in spite of putting up good numbers we lose weekly shootouts.

Edited by BeefCurtns

Our defensive problems are pretty simple. Our secondary flat out sucks. We have 2 starting CBs who cannot play man and need help from a defensive scheme that keeps DBs on an island alot of the time. They are simply not good enough. Look at the stats we have given up the highest percentage of plays of 30+ yards in the league. You do that on defense and It makes it pretty tough. We have a break don't bend defense and that's why in spite of putting up good numbers we lose weekly shootouts.

I don't know if they're world beaters, but they're good enough to win. This stubborn insistence that they need to play man to man even when the opposing QB is extremely accurate and the WRs are strong, is just dumb. You have to mix coverage up. Our pass rush is lacking in a lot of situations, they double team Lorax and it's over.

We just can't get off the field on 3rd down. We have plenty of talent. I just don't see this coaching staff being smart enough to utilize it.

Was it the Seahawks game? you didn't know what offensive play Lynn was gonna call? I wish our D was that unpredictable.

C

Our lack of discipline and focus overall is the central issue. That's it in a nutshell.

Wide 9 teams struggle with running teams. Ur linebackers have to have perfect gap discipline or u give up huge plays. Then ur cheating safeties, causing problems in the back end and it becomes a mess

The one big Prosise run apart their run D was less the issue. They couldn't cover Doug Baldwin - that was the problem.

It was a bad night for the Schwartz D though, no question about that. Bad night for Went too - he looked every inch the rookie out there last night. Reminded me of rookie EJ at times actually - even his check downs were wild throws.

• 3 weeks later...

Been kinda quiet on the almighty Schwartz front. The got smoked by Dalton on Sunday without AJ Green.

@LesBowen

Schwartz: we’ve been in a slump last three games.

Schwartz: I called 19 blitzes, we audibled out of a few. Facts of life, our corners aren’t playing very well right now.

Schwartz: slump is about technique and about confidence. You go back to basics.

If you get hired as an NFL head coach by new owners under pressure to produce a playoff team and inherit a team that just missed in 2014 with a number four rated defense - why would you let the DC walk and radically restructure the defense? Mind Boggling!

If you get hired as an NFL head coach by new owners under pressure to produce a playoff team and inherit a team that just missed in 2014 with a number four rated defense - why would you let the DC walk and radically restructure the defense? Mind Boggling!

Since Schwartz and Rex employ different defensive schemes, this was not mind boggling at all. They would have clashed rather than co-existed.

Part of growing pains with the Pegulas I guess. They don't have a clue what they are doing to this point in terms of building a winner. Hopefully they learn.

They don't have a clue?

And you say this because you've sat down with them, discussed their long term strategy, and analyzed it deeply based on your in-depth knowledge of what it takes to build a winning organization in the NFL?

You have noticed, haven't you, that the Bills are a .500 team? So the Pegulas are exactly average owners in terms of success, despite their newness to the sport.

Edited by hondo in seattle

They don't have a clue?

And you say this because you've sat down with them, discussed their long term strategy, and analyzed it deeply based on your in-depth knowledge of what it takes to build a winning organization in the NFL?

You have noticed, haven't you, that the Bills are a .500 team? So the Pegulas are exactly average owners in terms of success, despite their newness to the sport.

They took a team above .500 and brought them to .500. Not exactly a winning formula.